HybridZ

N42 vs Custom Intake

I have 550cc NISMO injectors coming and a friend is giving me a new Weber throttle body. I already have an N42 intake manifold. With the Weber, injectors, port matching the intake and hogging out the end of the plenum to help with flow does the N42 flow well enough to help me reach my 400RWHP?

My friend is suggesting to try the N42 route with above mentioned setup verses getting my custom intake manifold and Q45 T/B made. He said if it doesn't work then I can go the custom route. Am I wasting my time and has the N42 been proven in a turbo application in reaching this level of performance?

The original plan was to use the injector bungs off of a stock EFI manifold and the fabricator was going to make the primary plenum and secondary runners to the bungs.

My friend said with the N42 intake all my vacuum ports, PCV, and blow-by fittings are there. He is telling me that I need to vent the blow by hose in front of the throttle body like the factory did instead of using a K&N breather filter. Also he said that I should keep the crank vent tube and still use a PCV.

Is this really necessary??

Thanks,

You will have to relocate the PCV fitting under the N42 Plenum (or any N/A Manifold for that matter) towards the T/B to clear the turbo.

A Q45 T/B is unrequired, and will be a pain to adapt. The standard 60MM T/B is all that is required for the horsepower level you are contemplating. It's bigger than most of the tubing most people plumb their systems with... So that should tell you something about "restriction reduction"...

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

If your running a turbo larger than a 60-1 in a .70 housing I would suggest the larger T-body with a sheet metal intake. On the other hand if you do not have a standalone EFI system to custom tailor your fuel and ignition curve I wouldn't bother with the major modifications. The larger the T-body and plenum area the farther from the pre tunned fuel curve that is in your factory ECM.

If your running a turbo larger than a 60-1 in a .70 housing I would suggest the larger T-body with a sheet metal intake. On the other hand if you do not have a standalone EFI system to custom tailor your fuel and ignition curve I wouldn't bother with the major modifications. The larger the T-body and plenum area the farther from the pre tunned fuel curve that is in your factory ECM.

I'm running a SC-61 with TEC3. I plan on having the exhaust manifold made but I'm wondering if I can get the horsepower I want (400RWHP) with the N42 or should I go all out and get a custom one. For the custom intake which will include a Q45 T/B that I'm supplying will run me $750. This is using stock bungs (to lesson the cost) however, I'm wondering if getting an ALL OUT custom one with custom bungs to place them further back on the runners and allow more bungs for the PCV, and blow by in front of the throttle body if that will be a better option. I'm going to call the shop and see what they think and how much more it will cost too.

I know this manifold has been used in the past as well as custom ones. If I don't have to over due it and get the same results using the stock intake then I will.

One option is to pick up a triple weber carb intake manifold. I have seen them on ebay now and then. Use some 3†aluminum tube stock for the plenum. Fabricate your injector holders to bolt between the intake runners and the plenum.

I don't know if you're fimiliar w/ James Thagard's custom intakes he made and sold or not, but I have one and it will be for sale soon. I don't know if it'll do exactly what you want, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Hope I'm not intruding in this post, but I know there are just not a lot of custom intakes out there floating around in the market. I'd like to get $450 out of it as it comes with one of Pallnet's fuel rails set up for o-ring injectors. I paid $350 for the intake and around $115 or so for the fuel rail and they are in excellent shape (plus whatever shipping was involved in getting them here). Also, not that it matters, but I believe I own the only one of his manifolds that will also fit in a 280zx. It was just a simple modification, but if you would ever sell it to someone else, you would have the plus of it fitting either car. Email me at datsun280zxt@sbcglobal.net if you want to see pictures of it on my car, or sitting on my garage floor...lol.

Anyways, just thought this might be a cheaper route...

I don't know if you're fimiliar w/ James Thagard's custom intakes he made and sold or not' date=' but I have one and it will be for sale soon. I don't know if it'll do exactly what you want, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Hope I'm not intruding in this post, but I know there are just not a lot of custom intakes out there floating around in the market. I'd like to get $450 out of it as it comes with one of Pallnet's fuel rails set up for o-ring injectors. I paid $350 for the intake and around $115 or so for the fuel rail and they are in excellent shape (plus whatever shipping was involved in getting them here). Also, not that it matters, but I believe I own the only one of his manifolds that will also fit in a 280zx. It was just a simple modification, but if you would ever sell it to someone else, you would have the plus of it fitting either car. Email me at [email']datsun280zxt@sbcglobal.net[/email] if you want to see pictures of it on my car, or sitting on my garage floor...lol.

Anyways, just thought this might be a cheaper route...

You've got mail.

Thanks,

Joe

The N42 manifold can stand quite a bit of porting. I've ported a few over the years for N/A cars and have had good success. You can take a monster amount out of the inlet and quite a bit out of the runners too. After porting and sanding, smooth it all out with a ball hone.

You can reach 400rwhp w/ the N42 manifold. I ran 122.2 mph in the 1/4 mile @ 2750lbs and according to various calculators, that puts me in the 390+ rwhp range. I was running a ported N42 at the time, so a little better tuning, or slightly more boost would have netted it. James' intake would be the better choice if it is still available...

Spork - I may be interested in that intake/ fuel rail if Joe and you don't work something out!!

Mike

The intake was sold to 240ztt, but in the future, I will have a manifold of my own design with velocity stacks in the runners complete with fuel rail also for sale. All that is left is getting the TB opening done, and welding it together, and then powdercoating it. Check out my website if you like.

http://www.lonewolfperformace.com

There aren't any picures of that exact manifold up as it is still being developed, but we are pretty close to completion of the proto type. (lots of irons in the fire right now) Feel free to send me an e-mail if you're interested.

You can reach 400rwhp w/ the N42 manifold. I ran 122.2 mph in the 1/4 mile @ 2750lbs and according to various calculators' date=' that puts me in the 390+ rwhp range. I was running a ported N42 at the time, so a little better tuning, or slightly more boost would have netted it. James' intake would be the better choice if it is still available...

Spork - I may be interested in that intake/ fuel rail if Joe and you don't work something out!!

Mike[/quote']