HybridZ

And the hits keep coming...

Mikelly

SO Yesterday afternoon I drive home from work, make a quick stop to pick up some aluminum brazing rods and a 10MM wrench. Run back out to jump in the truck and it cranks and NOTHING... No fuel... Nice... So I get out of the truck and don't hear that familiar "buzz" of the fuel pump. Call the wife, the tow truck and the best friend to align the ride home, the tow to a shop, and the loaner car again... Just went through this last week to the tune of $235 for the tow HOME and my own repair on the brake line... Now I'm at least IN TOWN, but the Vette is on the lift with a rear differential swap that is 70% done, and no time to wrap it up this week... So off to the shop it goes... Today I get the bill for it while it is still in the air... $710 total parts and labor... So I'm pretty pissed about this in general because I NEED transportation, and drive 62 miles each way... Pretty much fed up with NOT having reliable transportation... I like my Truck, but this is getting OLD... it is clean, has 118K miles on it and runs GREAT when it isn't blowing out rusted lines and NOT starting because of the fuel pump.

I'm close to biting the bullet and buying a NEW truck, but I'd rather this one last a LOT longer so I can BUY an enclosed trailer...

Mike

Next time crawl under the truck and bang on the gas tank to try and get the fuel pump to work, atleast this might save you a tow bill.

Yeah factory fuel pumps are pretty outragous. I dont remeber the last time I put a fuel pump in a customers car and the bill wasnt atleast $500. Most of the fuel pumps are around $400-$500!! Pretty crazy considering its a mass produced part!

Same thing with factory rims...you would think that a stock rim would be cheap because they make thousands of them for thousands of the same vehicle, well think again....most factory rims are upwards of $500. Heck even steal rims made for hub caps are like $200! Yeah now thats F'n nuts!

Guy

Next time crawl under the truck and bang on the gas tank to try and get the fuel pump to work' date=' atleast this might save you a tow bill.

Guy[/quote']

Ive had to do that before, it actually worked pretty well, stopped working after about the third time I tried it. I think you should go about finding a better form of daily transportation. Ive had good luck with my saabs on has 280k miles on original motor/trans with no probs and my dads is still going strong with 240k miles on the original clutch!!!

I'm tellin ya, EVERYthing will need a fuel pump at least once.. My old 93 king cab finaly poped one at 230K but it wasnt even the pump itself; It was the WIRING on top of the tank! A wire corroded off, floped over on top of another and shorted it out. :twak: Had the same problem with my 85 200sx years ago, and that was the only time it left me stranded (In my driveway mind you, and only for a day till I figured it out.) Luky for me, it didnd short anything.. just 'fell off' and needed to be re-attached. So.. ahem.. There is a reason I'm a Nissan guy.. they keep going. :) My current 4x4 king cab (also 93) needed a fuel line this past winter, and JUST poped it's first brake line a few weeks ago, but it's 12+ years old with 280K on it... to be expected considerig I live in northern Canada.

FWIW my brother drives a 96 Astro van that needed a fuel pump ($500) at 140K. His old astro van (89) also needed a fuel pump around 165K. Also $500 plus tow bill. My girlfriends 2002 Grand Am has 70K.. the fuel guage is irratic and the pump is getting noisy.. Good thing it's a lease due to be returned in october..

With mileages and wear and tear, I expect some things to happen... I know the Pump assembly is normal to die on GM trucks at about 150K miles... The brake line was a real surprise... I expect that a vehicle over 100K miles will start to have issues, but two within a week, costing me over $1000 it a bit much.

I'll have to see how it goes over the next month or two... A Saab? :lmao: Don't think it quite meets my towing needs as stated above. :lmao:

I'll likely get another Chevy, or a Dodge... The Ford truck prices are crazy stupid... I'll also likely be waiting until September to do something on a left over truck instead of taking a complete bath on mine just yet... Problem is that I really like this truck and it does everything well when it isn't broke down. :roll:

Oh well...

Mike :cool:

well get this i drive a 2000 S15 200sx (6 speed) and i had to get the gearbox rebuilt at 65k, F__K ME, thats just wrong! It is pretty much stock, just a twin pipe off the turbo and 3" mandrel bent right through, yeah i drive it reasonably hard, but thats just rediculous!!!

well get this i drive a 2000 S15 200sx (6 speed) and i had to get the gearbox rebuilt at 65k, F__K ME, thats just wrong! It is pretty much stock, just a twin pipe off the turbo and 3" mandrel bent right through, yeah i drive it reasonably hard, but thats just rediculous!!!

Not happy about that I bet - Clint forget what I said about S15 then - you know keep it as they are the last of the 200sx and given it is the R-Type. If that is going to happen every 65K dump it now.

Guest Want aZ

Mike,

I did the same and happened upon a 2002 Dodge Dakota with only 11,000 miles on it when I bought it, and it was completly loaded, with the V8 only set me back $14,000, or $278/mo. not bad considering my last truck only had about 300k miles on it...Just have to consider it....

Mike' date='

I did the same and happened upon a 2002 Dodge Dakota with only 11,000 miles on it when I bought it, and it was completly loaded, with the V8 only set me back $14,000, or $278/mo. not bad considering my last truck only had about 300k miles on it...Just have to consider it....[/quote']

Did you get one with the 4.7 and 45RFE tranny? The 4.7 is just about bullet proof(I work at a big Dodge dealership) and so is the 45RFE. The brakes on those trucks last for ever too! I mean you should get like 60-70,000 miles out of the factoy pads if you dont drive like a maniac! There arent really any super common problems with them. Once and a while we see a P/S pump(those are expensive though, $350 for the pump alone!) Most of the time when they are in for like a check engine light its for an emission leak, which is almost always just a cracked emissions hose. For an easy to maintane truck I would totally recommend a Dakota with a 4.7/45RFE combo.

However, Dakotas are a mid size and I dont think Mike will be able to pull an enclosed trailer with it...atleast not as easily as a full size truck will. Mike you should check out the HEMI Rams, those trucks are also extremly reliable. The 5.7 Hemi has been for quite awhile now and it is also a very good engine. We dont see anything too common on the 1500's but the 2500 and 3500's like to go throughh u-joints.

Guy

I know the Pump assembly is normal to die on GM trucks at about 150K miles

Not on any of the GM trucks/suvs that me, my family, friends have owned from 96-99. I haven't seen one make it over 80K. That is with fuel filter replacements and other babysitting. GM's fuel pump problems have been a huge scam. My 96 will be ready for another one in about 20k.

Guest Want aZ

Guy,

In answer to your question, YES, This truck is fantastic and has far more power that I thought it would, Hell its just getting broke in really good and its already 3 years old. I figure that I will have this truck for the next 10 years if not longer, because I HATE / DESPISE CAR PAYMENTS!!!... Just had to bite the bullet on this one, and it was a good deal, considering a new purchase...

Damon

My family has had no luck with dodge and chrysler products in general. My mothers van had the tranny go out at 100k, 200k, and 300k. Its like clockwork, the chyrler tranny in their minvans blows at 100k. I can easily name 5 people i know with the same van with the same problem. We used to have a Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo, ah what another basket case, stuff breakin all the time, maybe we just have bad luck with Chrysler?

My family has had no luck with dodge and chrysler products in general. My mothers van had the tranny go out at 100k, 200k, and 300k. Its like clockwork, the chyrler tranny in their minvans blows at 100k. I can easily name 5 people i know with the same van with the same problem. We used to have a Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo, ah what another basket case, stuff breakin all the time, maybe we just have bad luck with Chrysler?

I have heard of people saying that chrysler vans are great for putting everything in reach and overall comfort, but their drivetrain is severely lacking.

The only US built car we haven't had problems with is my mom's subaru legacy built in Ohio I beleive.

Mario

Yeah all of the older Dodge trannys are pretty much crap. The minivans and trucks(full size) are the worst. The new minivan trannys are a little better but still not all that great. The truck trannys now are very good. And the new Cummins is very reliable too so far. I havent really seen a lot of problems with the old Cummins either though? Vaccum pumps like to leak on them ($2400 for a pump from Chrysler) after market is only like $400 though. And I have heard you can buy a seal for the pump onthe internet somewhere.

Guy