HybridZ

threading on our shift knobs

JaysZ

do you know which thread our shift knobs use?

would it be any of these:

(1) 5/16 x 18 Thread

(2) 3/8 x 16 Coarse Thread

(3) 3/8 x 24 FineThread

these are supposedly "american" thread patterns... i'm hoping any one of these would work on our shifters

Don't most aftermarket shift knobs come w/ adapters for different thds? What type of material is on the inside of your knob? Plastic or metal?

If it's plastic, then you and probably xthread it on to your shifter ONCE, but I'd probably put some thread lock or something on there to help it keep.

If it's metal, and you REALLY want the knob, you'll either have to find a plastic sleeve that will make up the difference between the current shifter (hopfully smaller and your knob diameter) and thread it on. If the hole in the knob is smaller than the shifter stick, then you'll have to take it to a shop or stick it in a vice and drill it out and re-tap it to match.

I'd look for some sort of thread adapter, I know they are out there.

• 2 weeks later...
just fyi... I have two metal universal balls. They get VERY hot ....remember to keep a towel or shirt or some cloth in your car to cover your knob.... . Burns your hand .......

-Ed

Wow, the things you can do with the delete key. Can you say edit?

Wow, the things you can do with the delete key. Can you say edit?

huh?

ed, thats a good point. as far as the heat, i wont be driving it during the day since i'll have no a/c and its just unbearable in this weather. when i first read your post, i was beginning to think you meant the heat was going to transfer up into the metal ball lol. but yeah... this thing will be driven at dusk/night only. i'm putting in HID's too ;)