HybridZ

Coil Over Guys...

Well my old 240z set up had a lightly massaged L28 and I was running 200 in front and 225 rear. This was actually a set up to prep for more ponies later, but the car got sent to the grave. I would think you want the rear higher otherwise the car won't be tuned properly. I hope I say this correctly: If you compare the frequency distribution of the fronts and rears you want the rear to be shorter so that when any movement occurs the rear is in balance with the front. In other words the rear needs to be stiffer to catch up to the front so that the car settles quicker. Also, I went with this stout set up because I didn't want the rear to squat too much. With my little 2.8 I could've gone with 175 front and 200 rear no problem. A lot of this has to do with preference, whether you want a car that moves a bit or is really tight. I like it a little loose so I can feel a little more what the car is doing while road racing. You ask 10 guys you will probably get 10 different opinions.

Good Luck,

10" 175 lb/in front, 8" 200 lb/in rear Tokico Illumina's all around. Suspension Techniques sway bars front and rear.

The car is 90% street and rides great. One of my car buddies was amazed at the ride quality considering how low it is (sectioned struts). I still have a small bucking issue to deal with, but I'll see about fixing that when the car gets back on the road.

!M!

stock 1978 Z coupe 103# front spring and rear spring 127 #...............keep in mind the heavier springs need more dampening effect from stronger strut cartridges. I chose 165 # front and 180 # rear for Tomahawk so I could have a choice of struts like the cheaper KYBs as opposed to the Tokicos. To improve suspension handling one should not go lower than 150 # on the front with at least 15 -20 # more in the rear to keep rear suspension stable with front suspension and adequete strut cartridges to dampen springs. (my opinion)...................... I am considering 10 inch 150# front and 165# rear springs on 2 inch sectioned struts and KYB Gr2 for GTO 250 project but still concernrd about 15 pound difference between front and rear springs when maybe there should be at least a 25 to 30 pound difference to stabilze rear suspension to front springs??????????????????????????????????????? (my spare back-up (4)180 pound coilover springs got stolen with everything else). http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=/392a

Keep in mind there are several factors involved. The first one that comes to mind is tire size.

I'm running 150#/200# 10" springs but I also have 265/305 width 15" tires. While you might expect, with those spring rates, the front to be soft and rear stiff it is exactly the opicite. When I finally get all the suspension and brake upgrades done I'll probably change out the front springs for something softer.

Thanks guys. I am getting ready to order some CO's from Arizona Z, and the numbers I quoted are what Dave says he runs on his car. Dan's comment was interesting...

I will eventually install a LS1 with no major mods, and will be running 335/30/R18 in the rear and 275/40/R17 on the fronts.

I would like a firm ride but still as comfortable as possible ( I know it is a contradiction) as the car will someday be my daily driver.

Rufus

Just jumping in here so I don't mean to upset the thread.

BUT... I just finished my suspension after 9 months on the jacks. Drove it today actually! The car really works good now. Slight understeer into oversteer. (parking lot side show:)

More than I hoped for so thank you everyone at hybridz for the help.

The parts: Street car.

Non sectioned struts coilovers 10 inch springs 300 rear, 275 fronts with adj tokico illuminas. DP biscut type camber plates set around 1 degree neg camber. AZC front arms. Stock 240 front sway bar dia .710 Rear bar forward mounted dia .79 Front LCA pivot up .750 only. Ride height is 1.125 inches lower than stock. Stock wheel base. No bumpsteer spacers. Rear control arm and sway bar ploy graphite bushings.

Firm responsive but yet soft enough for me. Struts on position 2.

All wheels 17X7 255/45Z/R17 radials.

My only complaint is the 12 inch steering wheel now feels too small.

8" 250lb front, 8" 280lb rear. If you need an 8" spring for clearance and run a soft 8" spring you run the risk stacking the coils. I don't know how soft you can go though. 10" is different but you'll lose alot of room in the rear for a wide wheel/tire.

buZy- no problem man your input was useful, congrats on the ride.

8" 250lb front, 8" 280lb rear. If you need an 8" spring for clearance and run a soft 8" spring you run the risk stacking the coils. I don't know how soft you can go though. 10" is different but you'll lose alot of room in the rear for a wide wheel/tire.

Clifton - aren't you Dave's friend? The one who turned me onto his new coil overs in the first place? I so tell me about his ride, the one with the spring rates I mentioned earlier. He descibed it as super stiff. That is if you don't mind. :icon44:

Rufus

I was bidding on a couple 150 pounder 8 inch coilovers when Dan Juday got me so worked up on high poundage that I neglected to bid anymore on those light weights. Got hot on a couple 8 inch 225 pounders up for bid just to stay competitive with Mr. Juday. Postage and all came in at $35.50 for the 8 inch hypercoil 225 pounders. i am thinking 180 front>>225 rear. That is whats good with coilovers.... get bored just switch spings. I am just going to construct a shelf with nothing but a coilover springs collection.