HybridZ

Dynomax Super Turbo vs. Ultraflo? Quiet?

Guest Jasonv8z

Guest Jasonv8z

I noticed Dynomax is having a rebate on their mufflers, and I'm looking for a quiet, yet free flowing exhaust. I have the Super Turbo on my daily driver and find it almost as quiet as stock, but I have no experience with the better flowing Ultraflo.

Can anyone share their opinions with the Ultraflo? I noticed Dynomax makes a large 9" Diameter 20" long round Ultraflo now (22572). I'm leaning towards that, because I think the large case volume will quiet things down.

I've built two 3" systems with a single Ultraflo and both sound good. One was an 87t z31 and the other is Ant's 280zxt. I also made a 3" system for my 88t z31 with an extra Ultraflo where the cat usually goes. The car sounds real quiet (sleeper) but the exhaust flows just as good as any 3" could. I would also recommend the Ultraflo. Can't beat the sound/performance/price.

Just for the record Super Turbos aren't chamber mufflers and they are fairly free flowing, much more than a chamber muffler like a FlowMaster. I believe Dynomax also makes a straight through muffler as well, can't recall the name. I bought my Super Turbo for $29.49 from JC Whitney. Dollar for dollar that's tough to beat.

Guest Jasonv8z

Thanks. I purchased an oval Ultraflo to replace the cat, and a 9" round version for the tail end. The oval Ultraflo looks and fits great. Don't buy the 9" round muffler if you want quiet! I thought it would be a full length perforated tube with packing material, but its actually just a big hollow can with a small section of perforated tube at the inlet/outlet. I'm sending this one back.