HybridZ

When in doubt, Bling it out!

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Or, like they said in the 60's. If it don't go, chrome it.

rb261.jpg

rb263.jpg

rb262.jpg

rb264.jpg

As you see, the balancer isn't for bling. The cam gears are nice. And, talk about affordable! The valve covers are going to be painted the car color or powdercoated anthracite metallic.

The chrome looking parts are actually powdercoated. Tiger, Xtreme Chrome. You'll see finger prints on some of the parts. I didn't wipe them before taking the pics. My dad built customs in the 50's and 60's. His moto back then was "If it doesn't make the car faster, chrome it". Today, we know this as "Bling". We need to realize that bling has always been around. We just have hip hop rappers to thank for making one word to describe it.

Aside from making the engine look great...

Matt, what do you think of making a wheel for the crank trigger that bolts to the front of the balancer using the PS pump pulley holes? I'm gonna need to move the sensor from in front of the oil pick-up point also. I'm gonna do like Joel and James are doing with the external oil pick-up. I think that's a great ideal. I'm gonna load the instructions from SDS' website to see what matters in mounting the wheel and sensor.

Guest JAMIE T

The damper is SFI approved for racing and I am not about to mess with it in anyway. Powdercoating it would ruin it. The heat would damage the rubber in it. I think it looks nice anyway ;)

I debating on coating the HKS turbo compressor housings with the same chrome powder. I still need to get some SS manifolds for it.

I didn't mention I coated the intake also but it out-gassed like a mofo. That is the casting relieving itself of pockets during the heating cycle of powder coating. I need to sand it down and shoot it again.

Guest JAMIE T

Also notice I cut the back out of the plug cover. I notice alot of guys run the standalone without the cover. But, I personally feel the engine looks like it's missing parts without it. Plus mine has the harder to find R34 cover that says SKYLINE GT-R. All the others I've seen just say NISSAN TWINCAM. Doesn't really tell the whole story if you know what I mean.

Also in the pics you can see I need to relocate the Hall sensor for the SDS and make a crank wheel for the magnets.

• 3 months later...
Also notice I cut the back out of the plug cover. I notice alot of guys run the standalone without the cover. But' date=' I personally feel the engine looks like it's missing parts without it. Plus mine has the harder to find R34 cover that says SKYLINE GT-R. All the others I've seen just say NISSAN TWINCAM. Doesn't really tell the whole story if you know what I mean.

[/quote']

I took the plug cover off of my Mitsu's engine. A guy at Watkins Glen told me that they hold in heat that ends up making things difficult for the plug wires and boots. I just have to be careful to spray some cleaner into the plug tubes and then blowing it out with compressed air before removing the plugs, as the plug cover does keep a good amount of road debris out of those tubes.

Actually, I don't see any bling on that engine. Useful parts, nicely finished. Bling would be carbon fiber this or that, or neon paint, or bright colored silicon vacuum hose. I'm Bling-allergic, and there was no allergic reaction to those pics ;).

Guest JAMIE T

I've heard that being an issue on stock RB's with the coil-on-plug type ignition. I think Matt(chftrd) said it was not really the fault of the cover, I cut the back of mine out, not real noticable. I am using SDS, and the Buick GN coil pack remotely located.

Unfortunatly, my engine is torn apart right now, so I can only remember how sweet it looked with the chrome pieces on it:(

Guest JAMIE T

The chrome can be cleared, although it is not necessary. I can't remember if these a cleared or not. I remember clearing something and it lost some luster. I think these parts are cleared though.

I'm shooting for @600 whp. I basically don't WANT to spend any more money on the engine right now.