HybridZ

Well... Got the '26 installed this weekend... no 56k

Zhadman

The RB26 has a boss for the RB20/25 style pick-up, however the galley does not extend that far back in the block, like the L engine does. It only goes as far as the first, outer pick-up, so it's worthless.

WOW, who would have thought they would do that!! Sure makes that external pick up idea look more and more of a good idea, huh :lmao:

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zhadman, hows your project coming along? its been awhile since we've touched on this thread....

Slowly... but surely. No progress has been made on the drivetrain side. I had decided upon the RB while bodywork/paint was in progress. I have spent the past several months trying to figure out how to cover my rear wheels! The VB flares were not large enough, ZG's didn't work, the mudflap IMSA flares didn't fit... *sigh*. So we had decided the throw caution to the wind and modify the VB's to fit. That resulted in some MASSIVE bubble-butt flares:

resize0db.jpg

Fitting ONE flare was a huge amount of work and, although I liked the way it looked (call me wierd), was not worth the effort at this time. I was actually dreading working on the car. I like fabrication and such... but I HATE bodywork!

So I've moved on to a bolt on fiberglass flare. I think they are the IMSA street flares:

10007168rg.jpg

10007188ra.jpg

The car will be ready for paint within 2-3 months. Once the car is painted I'll have the car back to my house (wife and I just moved into our own house) for final assembly and fabrication.

I wish I had more progress to report, but life has been hectic recently and the RBZ has suffered!

WOW !! I love the look of those bolt on flares your using. If you get a chance, could you get a shot showing the whole flare. Like I said, I like em..

You sound like you arn't sure of the make, or where they come from. I'd like to find out cause i may just copy cat you if I don't like my ZG's once I get them back from paint...

Please fill me in on the details if you got em. Thanks Zhadman, your cars rocks!! :burnout:

WOW !! I love the look of those bolt on flares your using...Thanks Zhadman, your cars rocks!!

Thanks Joel, glad you dig 'em. I have to admit that they have grown on me quite a bit... to me they seem to fit the car much more than the bubble-butts I created.

They are the 'Street' flares that MSA and VB have listed in thier catalogs. I was mistakenly thinking that they were IMSA's. Those are the only pictures I have available right now. There's a slight possibility that I could get a picture this weekend, but that's up in the air right now.

... I have to admit that they have grown on me quite a bit... to me they seem to fit the car much more than the bubble-butts I created.

They are the 'Street' flares that MSA and VB have listed in thier catalogs. QUOTE]

Total agree, I really dig the new flares you have...

Nive to see the car coming along, Cant wait until the next update!

Well, I guess I'll order a set. Zhadman, what do you think about someone making those into just a rivet, or other kind of fastener install?

I mean, how do you think they would/could look installed like a ZG flare, ie; no bonding or blending, just attach and run with that?

Well' date=' I guess I'll order a set. Zhadman, what do you think about someone making those into just a rivet, or other kind of fastener install?

I mean, how do you think they would/could look installed like a ZG flare, ie; no bonding or blending, just attach and run with that?[/quote']

Joel, Of course it would look good... that's what I'm going to do! I'm going to fasten them with black rivets. I will probably run some VW fender welting (like what is suggested for ZG's) as well.

I just wasn't sure of the edge on those peices' date=' hence the quaility question.

It appears to me they have a semi flat edge where you would use the rivets. Is that so...?[/quote']

There are substantial flanges on the parts that will allow the use of rivets. The quality is pretty decent. I picked up a set of MSA ZG's that were much lower quality than the Street Flares. If you're like me you will want to sand the edges of the flanges a bit to smooth out the outer profile.

I will be painting the flares the same color as the car.

I forgot to add (not related to the flares)... I made my own grill :D :

grillfront2br.jpg

I agree with gabe, they look funky in the catalogue so I never paid them much attention. Now that I've seen them mounted on your car they look awesome! I am looking forward to seeing more pictures. Ive been looking for a nice flare for a while.

looks good.

i was wondering what those street flares looked like without them blended into the bodywork.

it looks like my wheels are a little too wide for my zg's.

how much wider are the street flares than the zg's?

i may have to order a set.

thanks

Zhadman:: so are thoes part number 50-1551 and 50-1552 over at MSA?

Those are the ones. The pictures in the MSA catalog are horrible.

how much wider are the street flares than the zg's?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to measure the difference between the two. I took the ZG's back before I got my hands on these. If I were to venture a guess I would say that they are roughly an inch wider. They are definately wider than the Victoria British steel flares, too.

MSA really needs to update their catalog pics with on-car shots. (of owners' cars)

You're right, Hugh. They are really lagging in that department.

FWIW... I don't know if MSA or VB are selling any flares, other than the ZG's, right now. I think that the company who was producing thier FRP (Wings West) was bought out. The new company, it is rumored, no longer wishes to make Z parts.