HybridZ

b got his first "kill"

b__sosick

I'm 15. I don't get to drive much, especially with my car not being tagged/insured/registered.

So when my dad started unscrewing the bolts that hold his license plate to his car, I was very interested to see what he was up to. I stayed in the house, spying on him, and my heart skipped a beat when he walked torwards my car.

I was like oh snap.

When he walked back in the house i tried to keep a straight face but he saw my hands already on my keys and grinned and was like "You ready to go?"

I dang near giggled like a school girl.

Sure my car isn't that fast, or even that great to look at. But the feeling I always get when driving her (her name is mckenzie... get it?... zie?z? hahahaclever) is as following; ecstacy,extreme joy, uncontrollable happiness, pride.

so whilst avoiding cops(i don't have turn signals i think it might be the flashers) we pulled onto a highway called Wonderwood(off a1a if you're familiar with jacksonville) and I immideatly spotted a civic, complete with ugly euro altezza/chrome style taillights, big wing, different colored bumpers, loud exhaust etc etc. I know my hondas/imports pretty well and could tell it wasn't an si. Probably a 95ish ex or dx. even if it was an si, i probably could have smoked him. Anyways, I quickly floored it to get up next to him, as he was about 30 yards ahead of me.. I threw it in neutral, and revved at him a bit. I heard him drop gears twice so I floored it. I walked on him the whole "race". hell, walking makes it sound like he kept up with me or something.. as soon as i dropped gears I JUMPED on him real nice. I pulled off on an exit and just went home, eager to post this topic.

Sorry if my rant is hard to translate, i'm still really excited from it.

And also sorry to all the anti street racing guys, I know this'll probably be looked down upon, but man it was fun.

Well, in my days, back when I was your age, we had South Eubank in Albuquerque. Serious street drags every Friday and Saturday night, mostly the warm summer period. We're talking blown BBC Vega's, V8 Pinto's, z28's, Mustangs, GTO's, Cuda's, GTX, Buick GS's, well, you get the picture. Anyway it was outside the city so the cops couldn't touch anybody. It was badass!

I guess today there are alot more cars, so things are alot more dangerous than it used to be, at least for innocent civilians. Your dad was there, so, it's on his shoulders, however, you should know the risk, make a decision as to right and wrong, and be willing to accept the responsibility before you act.

I do it too, but that's my responsibility and I don't want to hear it from anyone else, but your young and at least you ought to know the reality and gravity of life.

BESIDES THAT, CONGRATULATIONS!

Well put Dr. Hunt! Be careful and know that you are sharing the road with others. Be smart and choose wisely if you do race on the streets the consequences can be costly and life altering!

Not meaning to pick on you, just be careful!

Mike

what has happened here in America, when one thinks hondas are quick or fast ...

that a honda is the car to beat in a stop light to stop light acceleration contest ?

here and on other sites i read of individuals who have beaten a honda in a contest of speed.

without massive injections of cash, a honda is just another cockroach on the highway ...albeit a very well built roach.

a 3000 GT, a twin turbo Rx7, twin turbo 300zx,maybe even a supra or newer mr2, but a honda ?

the stock 88 fiero gt i sold last month, out ran neighbor kid's crx with a Vtech in it and i didn't even know he was behind me at the light, trying to catch me.

hour or so later, i'm moving cars around the driveway( 4 cars on 3 car driveway), he yells across the street to me, if i had the NOS working ... i'm thinking NOS, what the heck is he saying ???

until he told me he was behind me at a light, i didn't have a clue what he was chattering about. i was just blowing out a little carbon ... and he has over $3k in his engine alone ...

it's lowered, has nice wheels, hugh discs and calipers, upgraded suspension, decent paint, killer stereo and probably handles like a freaking go cart. i know i'd have a blast driving it.

but it's a honda, and without maybe another $3 grand and spray, it's not quick.

don't mean to throw cold water on your victory, acceleration is a kick in the butt, i love it.

letting the hot air out of a honda driver's over inflated ego is also fun

that said, i need to ask

with a moment of reflection and reference, in the late 60's early 70's ...

pumped 327 in a 65 SS chevelle, 440 in a 72 challenger R/T, 69 boss 302 mustang, a 70 amx, 69 road runner 383 with 440 heads, 70 camaro SS 454 ...427 cobra, or 70 LT-1 vette ...

those were the cars machines we chosed off against, anything less you may as well have said you raced against bunch of nuns that were driving a pinto pony mpg.

my words are probably just the ranting and ramblings of an old guy, who has driven a number of hondas and,all but one of the cars i listed above ( one of the cobras i drove had a 260 V8 in it, the other a 289 ), i don't get it ...

when did the standard by which most of today's youngsters measure quickness become the fart can hanging below the bumper and hugh wing screwed on the trunk lid, honda ?

Guest iskone

Good point.

I think it's because there is a bunch of them out there and they happen to have the biggest misconceptions about how fast there rice cars are. I kinda of look at it like picking on freind you got that is easy to make fun of. Another reason for slapping the white off rice is because they start it or when you do you know you'll get a race out of it.

As for me I'll race anything, period. I won't be upset if I lose, sh!t I'd be happy to race a car that fast.

Isk

Another reason for slapping the white off rice is because they start it or when you do you know you'll get a race out of it.

true, and i like to let em get out about a car on me ( old nasty habit ) and then walk past em. see the look on the driver's face go from joy to what the f just happened ??

now, if i have trouble catching em, that's even more fun, as you suggested, love a good race.

ain't gonna get that from a fat woman riding a tricycle ...

acy

what has happened here in America' date=' when one thinks hondas are quick or fast ...

that a honda is the car to beat in a stop light to stop light acceleration contest ?

here and on other sites i read of individuals who have beaten a honda in a contest of speed.

without massive injections of cash, a honda is just another cockroach on the highway ...albeit a very well built roach.

a 3000 GT, a twin turbo Rx7, twin turbo 300zx,maybe even a supra or newer mr2, but a honda ?

the stock 88 fiero gt i sold last month, out ran neighbor kid's crx with a Vtech in it and i didn't even know he was behind me at the light, trying to catch me.

hour or so later, i'm moving cars around the driveway( 4 cars on 3 car driveway), he yells across the street to me, if i had the NOS working ... i'm thinking NOS, what the heck is he saying ???

until he told me he was behind me at a light, i didn't have a clue what he was chattering about. i was just blowing out a little carbon ... and he has over $3k in his engine alone ...

it's lowered, has nice wheels, hugh discs and calipers, upgraded suspension, decent paint, killer stereo and probably handles like a freaking go cart. i know i'd have a blast driving it.

but it's a honda, and without maybe another $3 grand and spray, it's not quick.

don't mean to throw cold water on your victory, acceleration is a kick in the butt, i love it.

letting the hot air out of a honda driver's over inflated ego is also fun

that said, i need to ask

with a moment of reflection and reference, in the late 60's early 70's ...

pumped 327 in a 65 SS chevelle, 440 in a 72 challenger R/T, 69 boss 302 mustang, a 70 amx, 69 road runner 383 with 440 heads, 70 camaro SS 454 ...427 cobra, or 70 LT-1 vette ...

those were the cars machines we chosed off against, anything less you may as well have said you raced against bunch of nuns that were driving a pinto pony mpg.

my words are probably just the ranting and ramblings of an old guy, who has driven a number of hondas and,all but one of the cars i listed above ( one of the cobras i drove had a 260 V8 in it, the other a 289 ), i don't get it ...

when did the standard by which most of today's youngsters measure quickness become the fart can hanging below the bumper and hugh wing screwed on the trunk lid, honda ?[/quote']

I certainly wasn't bragging about beating an obviously slow honda, I was just excited about getting in my first race in MY car.

I wish I had the budget/funds to make my car able to keep up with such fast cars as the one you listed.

Unfortunately, I don't, and I'm going to have to work my way up the ladder.

Not all of us grew up in the muscle car era (fortunately, if you ask me, what with the current gas prices) so excuse me if I don't wait to race a muscle car (and undoubtedly lose) to make a topic expressing how much fun it was.

:|

When I was in high school, I drove my mom's '73 Maverick 4 door with a 302 V8 2bbl and an auto. Ran a whopping 70 mph in the quarter. We didn't do time, just heads up racing and we went by mph to judge how fast a car was. I didn't have any money to have anything closely resembling a nice ride, in fact my first vehicle was a 1964 international scout with a 4 banger. Eventually, I got a 1973 Chevy 1/2 ton that I built a nasty little 350 with a solid lifter cam, ported heads, 12.5:1 pistons, and whipped some camaro and mustang bootie. Don't be put off by naysayers. It was a rush then, it's a rush now and it's what drove me into the relentless pursuit of going faster and having a nice ride. Press on man!

i was trying hard not to take from your victory.

never thought you were bragging, rather i could feel the excitement in your tone and could imagine the big smile on your face.

i was hesitant in writing my post as i didn't want to take that from you.

in no way did i mean to imply, "well, it was just a honda" or that you don't know anything if you weren't around for the muscle car era.

an acceleration contest between a goat and a horse is still a contest and fun for both the goat and the horse, no matter who wins.

i can appreciate your excitement ... 1st ride in your z car and a kill, no way you would not want to share that !

i can truly appreciate that.

no raining on your parade or insults intended.

rather, i was curious as to where and when the honda got this reputation for being quick.

big apologies if i slighted you, was never my intention to spoil your fun or announcement.

please continue posting on your progress !

none of us were born knowing this stuff, we feed off one another, we support one another and for the most part, truly enjoy one another's company, advice and comments.

remember, safety 1st and have fun.

good luck with your build, sounds like you and dad are on your way to a great father son project ...

please don't let my question and comment sour your mood and anticipation of good times to come.

wayne

well congradulations, im only 17 so i can feel your excitement. Never tried racing a honda and i dont race people anymore (that was short lived). any way enjoy the car you got for sure. I got a 5 speed standard shift 1992 explorer its slow as hell and handels like its got solid axel and leaf springs with no lsd and the hardest tires you have ever seen.... o wait it has all of that AND more. Any way the point was enjoy the car you got as long as its got a stick even if its slow as hell it will still be fun :) (and it slides, doesnt roll very much due to horrible grip, the tires simply break away :)

i was trying hard not to take from your victory.

never thought you were bragging' date=' rather i could feel the excitement in your tone and could imagine the big smile on your face.

i was hesitant in writing my post as i didn't want to take that from you.

in no way did i mean to imply, "well, it was just a honda" or that you don't know anything if you weren't around for the muscle car era.

an acceleration contest between a goat and a horse is still a contest and fun for both the goat and the horse, no matter who wins.

i can appreciate your excitement ... 1st ride in your z car and a kill, no way you would not want to share that !

i can truly appreciate that.

no raining on your parade or insults intended.

rather, i was curious as to where and when the honda got this reputation for being quick.

big apologies if i slighted you, was never my intention to spoil your fun or announcement.

please continue posting on your progress !

none of us were born knowing this stuff, we feed off one another, we support one another and for the most part, truly enjoy one another's company, advice and comments.

remember, safety 1st and have fun.

good luck with your build, sounds like you and dad are on your way to a great father son project ...

please don't let my question and comment sour your mood and anticipation of good times to come.

wayne[/quote']

I don't know how sick our world is that hondas somehow got a "quick" reputation.

I don't know ANY "fast" hondas, but plenty that have "zip."

Also after that last post I understand a little better where you're coming from...as for the father/son thing, we spent all fathers day doing body work . *tear* it was so beautiful.

Guest 73Turbo240z

i'm not from the honda camp obviously... but i will say some areas are more dangerous to pick a fight with them than others... pick a fight with a honda from a roll on any given weekend in certain spots of town around houston, and you have a 50/50 shot of finding a fast one...

towns that or more rural i can understand them being slow as hell, but if your in a major town that has a huge tuner culture (which unfortunately houston does) you'll come across all sorts of insane setups, full built turbo cars, cammed/nitrous, 12krpm all motor setups... they can get it any way they want it now days since the aftermarket engine companys have taken so well to them...

i'm not bashing the tuner culture per-say, but i will admit i've had my fun setting them out absurd amounts of land to where they were sure they'd kick some ***... only to be passed by me before the 1/8th... its fun stuff...

however, i also built a honda or 2 when i was younger, i have a respect for them cause i know what they are capable of when you cut away bullshit mods and stick to going fast...

to each there own, enjoy what you race to the fullest, when i raced hondas, i loved going from a 20 roll... h22a1 + nitrous + 8k rpm redline + 235's + LSD gearbox = fun!

I have a buddy here in mobile with a quick honda.. it is turbo though.. runs mid 11;s.. I also have a buddy in Baton rouge with a K20 swap( RSX type R motor) in his civic hatch. basically stock accept for hondata and managed on his first time to the track.. 12.9@106. So the saying is right.. you will have the fallowers, the PepBoys racing ricers.. and then you will have what now has become the faster sleeper honda. Definatly congrats on the first kill!!!.. and be safe out there!..

Congrats! It looks like this has turned into one of those Honda threads. I enjoyed the posts by those recalling their slowest cars. Back in high school I drove my Dad's Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel (the baby version made by Mitsubishi). That thing was as slow as a turtle turd. I always had the pedal to the floor, which my explain the cracked head at 80K miles! You gotta start somewhere!