HybridZ

Anyone want MegaSquirt but no laptop?! Here's my PDA setup.. haha i love it

proxlamus©

Just like Tony D said.. you DONT NEED A LAPTOP!! LoL...

Mobythevan (Bryan Mr Kick AS S) uploaded his settings onto my MegaSquirt ECU.. and I drove home with them..

unfortunatly, I don't have a laptop to monitor the settings, or change the fuel or spark maps at any time..

NOW i can.. thanks to Renns (Roger) on the MegaSquirt EFI forums, who wrote a program for the Palm OS, and I used my Sony Clie PDA.

There is a real time display, I can log it, and I can change the fuel and spark maps!! How cool is this!

330795_240_full.jpg

330795_233_full.jpg

330795_234_full.jpg

330795_235_full.jpg

330795_236_full.jpg

Guest 81na ZX

So would you say its got as many functions you need on the fly as the laptop (MegaTune)?

Looks promising, haven't checked too much into it my self yet though.

Is that compatible with PalmOS 5.2? I have a Clie TJ-37 and was thinking of writing a program to do exactly this...

I believe so, its Palm OS 2.5 or above, so you should be fine, you just need to get the serial connector. Maybe ask at msefi.com in the palm tuning section to make sure.

Mario

Can you switch maps on the fly or do you have to shut down the Palm/laptop/car? It would be cool to be able to switch from power mode to economy mode at the touch of a button.

Owen

There is code that does this, such as MSnS-Extra and MS Dual Table.

I think you hard wire a switch and just push it to switch tables.

Mario

This computer is a pretty solid buy and very inexpensive, its only $450 for a very good quality laptop. It would work great for just keeping in your car a tuning literally on the Fly. If i were further along in my rebuild i'd buy it for myself. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Notebook-PC-3002LCi-/sem/rpsm/oid/123722/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do Hope it helps you out. Not quite as cool as the Palm pilot setup though.

Tyson

Yeah but will it flash big letters that say "DANGER TO MANIFOLD!"?

Just kiddin. Thats pretty cool right there. MS is getting to be a more attractive system, especially if you're computer savvy. The cool thing about it is you can buy it for cheap and have another 500 left over for other stuff opposed to haltech/microtech.

• 5 months later...

The PalmOS version of Megatune has been around for a while now. You can do a subset of what the Windows version can do. Enough to make basic adjustments. You just need a serial port cable for your Palm to interface to MS.

I was keeping my Palm in the toolbox at the race track for debugging potential problems, but then I picked up a real small HP P133 notebook cheap, so I bring that.

There was some work being done on a Windows CE version that was full function, but I know what the status of that project is.

• 2 months later...

Well.. I finally took some pics of my Megasquirt n Spark extra setup on the PDA...

if many of you have seen my post before, the pics were kinda crappy quality and didnt show what the PDA actually displays..

soo.. here they are..

first off.. i dont have a laptop.. so I use an old PC and a TV tray and tune in my garage..

6822574966.jpg

when I am on the road, I tune with the PDA

6823041392.jpg

First you can see the display chart of the fuel map..

RPM across the top and Manifold Pressure on the bottom

6823091848.jpg

at 5 (500rpm) and 20kpa 49 is highlighted?? well I can simply use the up and down arrows, and the left and right buttons to choose which VE (fuel) setting I would like to change

6823095350.jpg

Once I open the VE tuning, I can monitor the MAP the RPM and EGO (which isnt hooked up)

6823102818.jpg

Notice along the bottom there is 49 on the left and 49 in the box on the right? I can simply modify the VE (fuel amount) by pushing up or down..

this next pic shows the new value (52) on the left and the old value (49) on the right

6823122038.jpg

I can also view all the parameters of the engine...

6823130259.jpg

as well as modify settings like a rev limiter, and launch settings!

6823134215.jpg

6823155122.jpg

Cool, I got my kit a while ago but problems with my Z32 have kept me away from the 240Z project. Hmm, maybe I'll put the MS on the Z32, I still need to be able to smog it though...

From what I learned on the MS site, there's really no reason to change maps on the fly, unless you're going from one fuel to another, etc. something really drastic. I already have a cheap laptop but will probably get a pda just for this.

Owen