HybridZ

The death of a Z

PapaSmurf

I finally had it running right I put so much time and money into it. The insurrance people are avoiding me naturally I might have to get the family lawyer on this one. I doubt I'll get $2000 out of them which will not get me a Z in anywhere near the same shape as this one. This happened yesterday I fugin cried when I saw it.

The entire rear end is dead the wheels are crooked the passengers side rear rim which is steel cracked when it went through the concrete curb. It got hit HARD I dont think it will ever drive again. But I plan to keep it for parts if the insurrance company will let me.

I'll keep you in mind I'm sure I'll end up parting it out eventually right now I'm looking for another Z if anyone near me has one in good shape in my area let me know. I live in southern washington state about 30 minutes north of portland.

Do not let the insurance company bull doze you on this when it is totally 100% their insureds fault.They will want to set some really low price like $100.00 salvage value. A fellow ran a stop sign and nailed my 79 Datsun King Cab. pickup. They called it mutual fault and sent it to arbitration putting the Datsun at $100.00 and me paying the tow bill and $150.00 of the deductible plus taking the pickup for total salvage. At what place and where I was hit I proved, Iwas in the intersection first. I recieved a new rental car for one month. I started collecting ads and car lots with running Datsun pick-uos, which resulted in documented proof that it would require $2100 to replace the pick-up.. Also they came up with two similar pick-ups for sale..... I checked both of their replacement pick-ups out...One did not run and the other had no title which I reported back to them..Everything I did was documented and sent to them. After 2 months they threw in the towel and forked over $2100.00 minus 100.00 for the wrecked pickup which I kept without getting stuck with a salvage title. Battle Pope just gave you info on one running replacement Z for $4800.00 You will find a good running repalcement Z is hard to find less than $1500.00 in Oregon or Washington

Guest Battle Pope

From the looks of it your Z was in top condition. Given the rising market value of first-gen Z-cars, I'd say yours was easily in the 4k range depending on the mileage and interior.

years back, some old guy swings a left turn off a side street across 3 lanes into my buddy's cherry 60 impala ( pumped fuel injected -roschester vette injector off a 65 vette -327, 4 speed, console,bucket seats,power windows, air conditioning, shaved chrome, crystal clear black paint ), ect.

old guy shoved the impala up onto the sidewalk ( old guy was driving a lincoln 4 door of some sort ).

bad guy's insurance company offers $450 for the impala.

his car was still driveable ( after replacing 2 wheels and hammering the quarter panel off the tire. he took it to 3 body shops ( chevy dealership,mercedes dealership and a guy that repaired them italian sports cars ). repair estimates were in the high 3 to mid 4 grand range.

my buddy takes his photo album and shoe box of receipts to the agent's office ... roughly 5 grand ... hemming's motor news and pictures of similar cars for sale at car shows. he also brought the estimates ...

agent smiled ... pushed album and shoe box back at him, offered 1200 ... buddy says ... small claims court .... plus will write to local newspaper consumer's dept. ( action line )

took a month, he got a little over $4000 and bought the car back before they changed title ... no salvage title ... i think for 200 bucks ...

he bought a door and front fender. for something like 800 to 1200 bucks some shop pushed the door frame out, lined it all up, installed the new door, straightened quarter panels and realigned the trunk lid. some bondo and primer ... friend of a friend painted it ... if you knew you could tell ...

so, take you ads, pictures, receipts and if you can get estimates to repair the damage take that ...

you want them to repair or replace you loss ... that's the key ...

as to whether or not it is considered foolish by the neighbor's and her agent that you put 10 grand into this car is none of their business ...

their business is to replace or repair ... like for like ...

call your agent and ask for advise ... that is what they are there for ... even if you didn't have full coverage on the z ...

stick to your guns and mention going to the local papers and radio consumer protection/fraud depts of the news dept.

good luck with the parasites/leeches at the insurance company.

good luck papa, that sux! I guess if you are going to live on a hill, live at the top! :)

There are 2 early z's here in town (tulsa, OK) for sale for under 1000 bucks. I bet if you gave the guy 500 he'd cave. Been for sale for a long time. I know it's far and you'd have to trailer them home but they are cheap!

Edit: Tim lived at the top and I guess his Z didn't survive that either, there is no hope, live on a plain...

That third one in the list that BattlePope supplied is very interesting also.

$500.00 and you can then pull the hood and maybe the drive train from your car and have at least a driver. It might be worth a call to see what kind of rust problems it has, if any.

BTW: I live in southeastern Washington and bought my 240 from a kid in Longview. I bought it through eBay and it was advertised as virtually rust free, HAH. Most of the rust is just surface rust but I've had to do a lot more repair than I wanted. What I'm trying to say is be sure to look at any car you intend to purchase in person or have a local you trust do it.

There is a late 260 (I think) that's been sitting for a while at a local buiness, if you want I could make some inquiries about it, see if it's for sale and how much they want. I looked it over one time and found that there had already been rust repairs made and it appears to have a 5-speed in it, couldn't see what engine though. For the most part it's in reasonable shape, needs paint for sure but I don't know what else.

Wheelman

don,t let the insurance guys screw you!

example, my ford 1996 full size bronko 4x4 i used for a parts chaser was hit and totalled on the interstate, they (the insurance guys ) offered me $1200, the average price a FAIR condition 4x2 goes for!

I had just installed a new transmission that cost $2200,and had the truck painted and a new interior installed for $3000, the month before, I demanded they find a similar replacemen BRONKO in mint shape like MY bronko was before the accident!(I had reciepts and pictures)

I told them to find a MINT 4x4 full size bronko,after looking the LEAST EXPENSIVE one they could find anywhere in the country was $6800.

we eventually settled on $6800, yeah I got partly screwed but $6800 beats $1200 any way you look at it!

I don't think you always get the option to buy it back, do you? I'll have to call my guy. If I was hit I was planning on getting another car and swapping the best of both to the new one, then junk the old one. The car was cheap compared to the swap.

When my truck was hit I told the insurance I didn't want it fixed, they didn't care, 500 deductible wasn't worth fixing a minor crease and a scratch on a truck that was faded to heck.