HybridZ

Got the LS1 installed!

I had the rear of the car jacked up about 8". There was no way it was going to go in without raising the rear up. Another problem was that the front of the Z is so long that the hoist just couldn't reach in far enough at first. But shifting the load leveler bought us another 12" and that was enough, barely. It was really just raise and lower and raise and lower between the floor jack on the transmission and the engine hoist. I must have crawled under the car 30 times and I'm sore as all getout from it. All in all it really isn't that difficult if you have lots of patients.

I got the clutch hooked up tonight and it feels great. I was afraid that a stage 3 clutch might be a little stiff, but the wilwood master cylinder seems to handle it well. Time will tell.

Looks great. You mentioned the approach angle, may I suggest (if you need to extract/reinstal) raising the rear of the car. That made it so much easier!

Guest 73Turbo240z

are you running a dual fuel pump or surge tank setup? trying to figure out why your fuel pump is in the engine bay.

are you running a dual fuel pump or surge tank setup? trying to figure out why your fuel pump is in the engine bay.

I am changing over to the LS1 tank in the winter so for the time being I am feeding the walbro with the stock 280 pump. The LS1 tank has the pump in it so I will be eliminating that trouble prone setup.

I think I can have it on the road by the fall if I can stay on it.

Dale,

Are you going to have AC or forego it? I notice that your accessories layout allows for an AC compressor high on the drivers side. You've baically got the same configuration I have on mine. So far it's working well for me.

FWIW - After I changed the expansion valve the sytem has worked flawlessly for me. Initially there were some very high pressures in the system. Evidently the valve was crudded up and restricting flow too much. Now that the car is well insulated it holds its own to about 100F.

Man I would love to take a trip but 9/11 see's me in Vegas and August is still working on the car. There's always next year. I may be going down to Ft Lauderdale in the winter to visit my parents. If I can take the Z I'll make sure to swing by Orlando.

Oh yea, I got the Transmission mount done and the Driveshaft is in. All the electrical is hooked up but I think that the headers are going to make me move some of the wiring on the passenger side. I'm trying to do the exhaust next, then the cooling system, then the fuel lines get hooked up. I'll make sure that the first startup is with open headers just for effect.