HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

I believe some of the EARLY 73's are different from the Later Ones. The best way is to pretty much just get under the darn car and look.

I've had more than a few Z's over the years, 72-78 models. The 72 had the early mount. And my 73 had the later style mount. I can't remember what month it was built, so I can say for sure if an early 73 had an early mount. BUt Datsun was good at makeing mid year changes. At most the early mount was around for the first 3 1/2 yrs, and the later was out for at least 5 1/12 yrs.

I think the best meathod of mounting the RB tranny to the S30 is to make a new mounting point in the Z's tunnel. My plan is to use the mounting tabs of the Skyline, and weld them into the Z.

Based on the pics that I've seen the GTS tranny mounts at least 3" behind the S30's. That ,IMO, is a lot of pressure to put on 30+yr old welds, and the mounting tabs. It seems to me that that would be a definate weak point in the swap. I would rather see a "swap kit" that includes a weld in tranny mount, that would properly locate the mounting point in the S30 tunnel. Since all of the S30 tunnels are the same it would be the only way to make a "universal" mount.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, some of you might know this and some might not but Mckinney motorsports http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/ is coming out with a kit later this year for 240/280Z and Z31 Z's. I emailed Walter Mckinney and asked him some questions. One of the questions was "What is included in the kit?" He emailed me back saying the basic kit will be engine and trans mounts, options are driveshaft, radiator, intercooler, wiring, downpipe, ect. I am not sure how much this kit will cost. I thought I would let you guys know.

Also, if I was to get this kit for my Z. How would I go about making it street legal?

Our kits for the RB are done, the include engine block adapter(2) motor mounts POLY (2) Trans crossmember and POLY trans mount. We have down pipes, intercooler kits with alun piping, Full 3" exhaust. radiator, wiring conversions. We have our VQ35 swap kit almost done for both the 340z/G35 and the Maxima engines. SR20DET mount kits, intercooler kits, down pipes, exhaust, done and ready to go....