HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

Those mounts look great. I can't wait to see some of these mounting solutions side by side to see how the motors are positioned. Do Brad's-style mounts hard mount or do they use some sort of isolator?

They use stock Insulator. My friend has his motor mounted, I am going to take pictures of it today. We just went to Kragen or somewhere to buy new aftermarket engine insulators.

I haven't seen a mock up of the tranny mount, but like I said, maybe a week and I should have them done.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw ROCKIE, if you haven't figured out a mount soluition yet, give me a week or two when we finish the tranny mount. We might be making them in quantity to see how well it fits and what not.

Remember when we first discuss this issue? well, now I understand what you were saying. different mounting points, yours should be more simple, mine I have to do the same process for the mounts plus cutting and grinding down the mounting points. did I explaing that right?

btw, very clean mounts, I like them. what I was saying, regarding the plates, you can make thicker and avoind the whole washers deal...; )

Maybe we should lend a helping hand, be supportive and share our experiences with them.

That makes sense, then you pay out the nose for the information YOU provided. They provide nothing better than what I have seen many on this forum do in their garage. McKinney's interest, as it should be, is in the buck. Try to support each other in your efforts.

Guest JAMIE T

HOLY CRAP!, I agree with James 100%. As a group, we do a great job of helping each other out. We share our ideas openly and freely. God, I love this country!

That makes sense, then you pay out the nose for the information YOU provided. They provide nothing better than what I have seen many on this forum do in their garage. McKinney's interest, as it should be, is in the buck. Try to support each other in your efforts.

Don't get me wrong... I believe exactly what you, and others, are saying. I was just trying to play the devils advocate. There are many of us on here who will never need to buy a 'kit'. We either have the time, tools, experience or determination to 'engineer' our own solutions. THAT is what makes our cars and shared experiences great. There are very few individuals here who will not lend a helping hand to get someone through one of these swaps. That makes Hybrid and our community extra special. There is an immense amount of pride in the DIY job. Even if it's not perfect... it's something that YOU did/made... and that feeling cannot be bought 'off-the-shelf'.

Because our vehicles are largely unsupported by the aftermarket, there are a host of individuals who have to take matters in their own hands to achieve the desired results. With that comes a wealth of knowledge. You don't have to look very hard to see these individuals lend a helping hand. For example (and only just a few in the RB section):

JamieT's oil pump and pan thread.

Stony's RB swap sticky.

240Z_Masters pics/information in this thread.

All the posts concerning Rick Wong's mounts.

...and on and on...

McKinney is definately out to make a buck, but so is Ross C., John C., Dave @ Arizona Z and others... The difference is that Ross, John, and Dave are ENTHUSIASTS who (atleast partially) make thier living helping other Z enthusiasts.

McKinney does alot of their work on S13's and S14's, but swapping an RB into one of those is technically illegal in CA (for a registered, street driven car). Thier reluctance to listen to the advice of individuals like 240Z_Master reinforces thier position in the community. I sincerely doubt that they CARE about 240Z's and thier owners. But if they can come up with a swap kit for the S30 then they can import and sell more motors... thus making more money. It's probably more of a business decision that a labor of love... and that sets them apart.

I, and many of us, will never have a need to purchase any of their products... we will do it on our own and take satisfaction in that. I would much rather spend a couple weekends with my four RB friends (here in SoCal) trying to engineer a solution to a swap issue than pay out the booty for parts that someone else made.

I am confident that ANYONE with the grit, dedication, patience and the willingness to learn can do any one of these swaps without purchasing a single thing... and I hope more people do just that.

Sorry for the length of my post, but I wanted to clarify my position...

Off the topic and on the topic: since we are talking of helping each other, does anyone have a extra rb20det z31 oil pan, oil pick up, and the o-ring for the swap nismo parts is out of it for a month?

by the way completely agree with the previous post...

Off the topic and on the topic: since we are talking of helping each other' date=' does anyone have a extra rb20det z31 oil pan, oil pick up, and the o-ring for the swap nismo parts is out of it for a month?

by the way completely agree with the previous post...[/quote']

Boy am I kicking myself on this one. I sold my pan to my buddy [wink wink helping another Z owner] so he could get his swap moving along, and now I am at the stage where I am waiting for my pan from Nismoparts.

Oh well, in due time my pan will come. BTW! My Nismo Short Shifter for the RB25DET trans comes tommorow. Wait til I take pictures of that bad boy!

Guest JAMIE T

I don't know what brand my short shifter is, but it's on my OS Giken tranny. I've looked for pics on line of the NISMO shifter. Mine IS nice and shiny though. What other higher-end brands are there?

And here is an engine mounting kit from Aus for the RB* to the Z. I suspect the tailshaft stays the same length. The price is only ~ $150au for the mounts. Not sure what comes in the kit.

Look for 'EM81'

http://www.rodshop.com.au/mounts.htm

And - for the early Z, you can fit the engine/gearbox in original location (no short tailshaft), but cutting some 'V's out of the front of the stock crossmember, bending, welding and plating. Personally, I would NOT want to hang the gearbox too far back without fabricating new mounts on the tunnel to avoid placing a torsional load on the original mounts. The rear mounts carry more than half the engine/gearbox assembly weight...

• 4 months later...
I called them prior to that date when he posted that TELLING him the differences between the tranny mounts. And he was like "Well I got a drawing straight from Nissan and from my point of view that's the only mount they made". And I spent 15 minutes arguing with him.

You wonder why I won't even consider this mount.

Sorry I came off that way! You were right about the trans mounts and some of the info I had was wrong... the trans mount will habe to be universal or several built to cover the different chassis/trans combo's. Getting many different car here to build the trans mount may be to difficult, so a universal may be the way to go.. Ricks alum engine mounts are very good. the others I have not seen. Our's (fits RB20/RB25/RB26) places the engine lower and back alittle farther and come with engine mount Poly isolators and trans mount with Poly isolator so you get evething to moun the engine in place in one kit..., radiator and intercoler are amost done.. 200ZR oil pan and pick-up bolts right up to the RB20 and Rb25, but RB26 need pickup modified..wiring service is the same as we already have for all SR/RB into a none Nissan car..

Just to clarify, Series 1 z cars that came with an automatic shouldn't have different mounts from one that came with a manual right? I don't think i've heard of people having to swap tranny mounts for other L series swaps... I'm kinda in the same boat as some of the other guys, where i don't have so much fabrication skills/resources. [yet]

Just to clarify, Series 1 z cars that came with an automatic shouldn't have different mounts from one that came with a manual right? I don't think i've heard of people having to swap tranny mounts for other L series swaps... I'm kinda in the same boat as some of the other guys, where i don't have so much fabrication skills/resources. [yet]

There arent different mounts for Auto or Manual, but are different mount for Series 1 or Series 2 240Z Chassis. And the 260/280 fall into a category of their own.

There arent different mounts for Auto or Manual, but are different mount for Series 1 or Series 2 240Z Chassis. And the 260/280 fall into a category of their own.

Once the Z's switched to the later style mount with the later 240z's, the mount stayed the same through all the Z's. You can pull a mount from a '78 280Z and put it on a '73 240Z - as I did just that.

-Bob

Once the Z's switched to the later style mount with the later 240z's' date=' the mount stayed the same through all the Z's. You can pull a mount from a '78 280Z and put it on a '73 240Z - as I did just that.

-Bob[/quote']

I believe some of the EARLY 73's are different from the Later Ones. The best way is to pretty much just get under the darn car and look.