HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

Guest Z31_Driver

Hello, some of you might know this and some might not but Mckinney motorsports http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/ is coming out with a kit later this year for 240/280Z and Z31 Z's. I emailed Walter Mckinney and asked him some questions. One of the questions was "What is included in the kit?" He emailed me back saying the basic kit will be engine and trans mounts, options are driveshaft, radiator, intercooler, wiring, downpipe, ect. I am not sure how much this kit will cost. I thought I would let you guys know.

Also, if I was to get this kit for my Z. How would I go about making it street legal?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fixitluis

lol define street legal? cause we defintely aint thinking about emmisions now are we? i think the definition of street legal is if it has brakes tires and seat belts cause everyone desires more horses

Guest Z31_Driver

Well I mean. How would I be able to use this engine in my Z without worrying about cops and crap? Do I even have to worry because where I live, New Hampshire. We don't have emissions testing right now but will soon but it will be for cars 1996 and newer. So do I even have to worry. Basically, I'm talking about emissions because many sites say the engine is only for show or racing.

Guest Benito

Word. You answered your own question by saying 96 and newer (OBDII). I believe that the law is that any swapped motor is legal if it is the same year or newer than the one that originally came in the car (as long as it has cats, etc.). Good luck finding an RB motor from 1988 :D.

Once you get the motor in, the only reason to worry about cops hassling you is because you will be dusting so many 5.0's...

And see cheftrd's comment about the relaitve cleanliness of the rb series

Guest Z31_Driver

Well if I can't make it legal then how do the other people who have done this swap, make it so they can drive it on the road and all? or do they just put them in for racing and show?

It's not legal to cheat on your taxes either....why to people do it.....I've heard statements like "It's only illegal if you get caught"

In areas of the country where emissions testing and safety/equipment inspections aren't required, then how would anyone know.....but it is still not legal.....kinda like: "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around does it still make a sound?"

Guest Z31_Driver

Well NH has safety/equipment inspections. So I guess I can't do it. I'll just hop up my VG30ET!. Anyways, thought I would let you guys know about the kit that is gonna be coming out probably later this year.

Guest fixitluis

well sir just worry about getting it registered and insured with good tires and headlights and seatbelts, maybe brakes, thats the definition of street legal to me. a clearer definition to me of street legal to me would be driving for over 30 miles consecutively without having to shut off the motor

Guest Benito

Ah yeah Tim240z. Forgot about that one. I guess that law pertains to U.S.-cerified motors.

So here's a question for the guru's out there: Would you rather use Nissan mounts or would you rather have the McKinney Kit (the objective being to save money) How much better would the McKinney mounts have to be to be worth the extra cash?

z31, dont even worry about the safety and equipment inspections. Must of the guys that work at these shops that do inspections will have bo idea what an RB is and probally dont even know what comes in a z31 anyways. They usually just check for lights, horn, belts, etc.

Guest Z31_Driver
z31, dont even worry about the safety and equipment inspections. Must of the guys that work at these shops that do inspections will have bo idea what an RB is and probally dont even know what comes in a z31 anyways. They usually just check for lights, horn, belts, etc.

Oh yeh.. I didn't think of that lol. They don't really look at the engine too see if it's the correct one. I dunno, maybe I will do the swap. I would love to have a hybrid and something different.

I think the Rb25DET is the way to go just because its soooo much cheaper than the Rb26DET but can still get alot of power,

Buy the Rb25DET Engine/Gearbox which goes for about $4000AUD approx, whereas RB26DETT's cost like $6000-$7000AUD for just the engine, and im almost certain that in this price range you would only be getting R32 Rb26's - not R33 & R34's (but i could be wrong),

These engine/box prices are all import/wrecker's prices

Then Just buy a Z31 Jap Spec Rear Rb20 sump and pickup, i got quoted about $520AUD for them from my local Nissan Dealer brand new, they were available, just had to wait a few weeks, as they were ordered from Japan and not on the shelf, then install on your Rb25DET and you now you got the sump in the right position,

Im pretty certain that this sump will not fit on the RB26 and requires some modification, but it fits perfectly on the RB25 & 30,

Then get engine mounts and gearbox crossmember from,

http://www.rodshop.com.au/mounts.htm

Down the bottom of the page,

I was quoted about $250-$300AUD for the engine mounts and the Gearbox Crossmember,

Only slight problem with this is that the gearbox crossmember they sell is used for a Rb20/30DET gearbox, not the monster Rb25DET gearbox (its alot thicker/wider), However,

Ive been told by a Zed bloke in Melbourne that the crossmember still works, but to fit the Rb25DET gearbox in the Zed you have to remove the original Zed L6 transmission mounts inside the transmission tunnel for clearance,

But on this,

Im sure lots of folks out there have used Rb20DET/RB30ET 5-speeds and managed to get a healthy amount of power before they have broken the gearbox,

Well most of the details to get it legal in a swap is found http://www.jeffchan.com/cars/nckcc98/ca-register.html

These is another site on this but can't find it.

Well to summerize it.

If you do an engine swap from a car 96 or newer and have documentation, then you can register it as a "kit car" and all that is needed to be tested, that is equivilant to a IM test, is a dyno run at a certified facility. That is all and they just have the car do a dyno run, the car doesn't have to pass anything by my understanding. BTW these are by california rules and regulations.

Another way is instead of having it IM tested then you can just have a "summertime only" pass. BTW these are to alaska regulations, you can just call a IM ref and ask to see if you can do this in your state. That pass is so you can only legally drive it from like March to like september. I learned this because our RV had to get a pass newal, most RVs aren't technically steet legal by IM standards.

The last way that I can think of is, if you have previously had a IM test done on the car and they just did a tail pipe test and now you need to get it tested again, then do the swap and take it down there and hope that they just do a tail pipe test. I know the RB engines run ever some much more cleaner then the old L6 engines.

Guest Z31_Driver

Well actually that 400+ HP thing in my sig was actually for my VG30ET. If I was to get the RB26DETT. I would go higher.

Hello' date=' some of you might know this and some might not but Mckinney motorsports [url']http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/[/url] is coming out with a kit later this year for 240/280Z and Z31 Z's. I emailed Walter Mckinney and asked him some questions. One of the questions was "What is included in the kit?" He emailed me back saying the basic kit will be engine and trans mounts, options are driveshaft, radiator, intercooler, wiring, downpipe, ect. I am not sure how much this kit will cost. I thought I would let you guys know.

Also, if I was to get this kit for my Z. How would I go about making it street legal?

I'm sure the mounts from them are good, they make good stuff. But since the Z31's did have a factory version with a RB as we all know it, you could mount the motor fairly easy with Nissan OEM stuff especially in the Z31 Application.

Now if McKinney made mounts for an S30, they would have to deal with the different types of tranny mounts that the 240Z's were known to have. Either the early bolt up styles or the later slide through bolts. I don't know how they have battled that problem. Actually gotta call them right now on that.

EDIT: I just called them asking about the two different mounts for the S30. It appears that they have built the mounts for the earlier mount style with the two bolts going up into the chassis. I don't know how he has tackled the problem of the newer style slide through bolts. The kit isn't released yet because they are actually getting a US Patent on their kid and are waiting approval or at least a Patent Pending Status. He wouldn't release a date or an MSRP so we'll just have to wait and see.

EDIT: I just called them asking about the two different mounts for the S30. It appears that they have built the mounts for the earlier mount style with the two bolts going up into the chassis.

Well thats pretty silly, considering 1yr's worth of 1st gen Z cars came with that design, and the other 7 yr's had the bolt thrugh design....:banghead: