HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

Guest Benito

They do sell the kit for the 240sx without the driveshaft for substantially less. This would at least cure the driveshaft/rear end problem, no?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

McKinney said it's about another 60 days or less until they release the kit.

They will have complete kits with wiring' date=' intercooler etc. Of course you can just solely buy the mount kits and custom plumb your own intercooler and do your own wiring.

Couple of concerns. I don't know which tranny mount they have designed, either the bolt ups, or the slide through pins. Also, driveshaft, I don't know which rear end they have made the kit for. I assume the R180 and the R200 have the same bolt pattern for the driveline [correct me if I'm wrong']. Also under the asumption of the RB25DET transmission.

Also mentioned a group deal, if we can get a lot of orders it might be worth our while. Two months for me waiting is a long time, but I'm in no hurry if the kit is what it's supposed to be.

the group buy sounds like a good idea... Let me know if you start a group buy... BTW it would be a loss for those who have engine mounts frabricated already. unless you can modified the Mckinney's tranny mounts. let see how much they want to charge... they are expensive sometimes...

Guest JAMIE T

I'm just teasing, LOL! Sounds like a "kit" for a B18 /Civic swap. hahaha.

You really need to make sure they have an oil pick-up for the swap. I'm talking about for RB26's. That has been an issue with previous RB26 swaps.

My issue with the "kit" is that Rick Wong already makes mounts, the exhaust will still need to be custom made, the driveshaft is a no-brainer, radiators very from stock hipo replacements(Stony) to dual pass aluminum NASCAR style(me and Joel), etc...

The only thing that is not yet "readily" available is a trans mount. And that will very slightly depending on the transmission used.

I'm just teasing' date=' LOL! Sounds like a "kit" for a B18 /Civic swap. hahaha.

You really need to make sure they have an oil pick-up for the swap. I'm talking about for RB26's. That has been an issue with previous RB26 swaps.

My issue with the "kit" is that Rick Wong already makes mounts, the exhaust will still need to be custom made, the driveshaft is a no-brainer, radiators very from stock hipo replacements(Stony) to dual pass aluminum NASCAR style(me and Joel), etc...

The only thing that is not yet "readily" available is a trans mount. And that will very slightly depending on the transmission used.[/quote']

Yes, but it sounds like this kit is more of a '1 stop shop' deal.. and that's what I like about it... I know it's hard for some of the members to fathom someone not knowing how to fabricate engine mounts ect. But with safety concerns and knowing my own limits... I'd prefer a kit, where all, or most of the 'math' has been done, even if it costs more. Besides, if there's a kit, the guru's here will get less questions asked by me haha

Guest Z31_Driver

Mckinney wants to know whats wrong with the oil pick-up for the RB26 swap, so if you guys could fill me in that would be great!

The issue is that there is no "off the shelf" Nissan pickup which bolts to the RB26 and works with a rear-sump pan in the Z's.

All of us have needed to fabricate some form of pickup ourselves. You can search here and see plently of threads about oil pans and what we have done, or in most cases, not done.

While you can use the RB20 rear-sump pan, it must be modified to work and you still have to modifiy a pickup.

That is a basic recap.

If needed, I can give them a call to talk about the issues.

-Bob

Guest JAMIE T

Wow, it's kinda scary that they think they can offer a kit and not know what has to happen to make it work. Maybe they should stick with RB20's and '25's. The '26 may be too difficult for them. No offense to anyone but the RB26 is simply more complicated to swap into a rear drive car. We who are doing it or have done it have gone through great pains to make it work. No "kit" is going to impress us. We have done the R&D to make it work. I don't know, I guess they'll get it figured out.

Well, for the most part, if nobody knows about McKinney as expensive as they are, they do make quality stuff and I'm sure they would have done some research on this.

Just because it's tough, doesn't mean it can't be done, come on now, all of us or some of us I should say can do the swap, so why can't they?

If they can't make a sucessfull kit, then they'll have to return a lot of money, easy as that [i Hope].

Guest Z31_Driver

I emailed Walter and told him the prob. He wrote back and said this.

"the cost of pro-typin a pan for that swap is very high and current request

it would take more than 5 year to breake even. I have sold over 20o ZR200

pans over the last 2 years and only 1 or 2 have had a problem with the

fabrication of the pick-up..and pan mods..I would love to make some but I have to make a $$ too..."

I don't know about this, the are too pricy, good definetly, but they think they are the only one in the business and I think there are better places that can almost fabricate anything at a much better price... like my radiator I went to a hot rod shop and told them what I want, they did it for 400.00 bucks, straight mount just like the original and it is beautiful.

I guess anyone can fab anything. But if the kit has already been done, all you would really have to do is pay for the parts.

Take it to some other shop they'll charge you an arm and three legs for "labor" and "custom fabrication". I was just curious and asked a buddy how much it would cost to fab a tranny mount, and he said 300-400 bucks. And my motor had to be in, if I didnt have the motor he woulda charged to mount the motor etc...

Take it like this, a shop will charge for everything!

Guest JAMIE T
I emailed Walter and told him the prob. He wrote back and said this.

"the cost of pro-typin a pan for that swap is very high and current request

it would take more than 5 year to breake even. I have sold over 20o ZR200

pans over the last 2 years and only 1 or 2 have had a problem with the

fabrication of the pick-up..and pan mods..I would love to make some but I have to make a $$ too..."

So basically only one or two of them have gone on RB26's. You RB20 and RB25 guys don't quite understand the level of difficulty it takes to swap the big daddy '26. It's just not the same animal.

So basically only one or two of them have gone on RB26's. You RB20 and RB25 guys don't quite understand the level of difficulty it takes to swap the big daddy '26. It's just not the same animal.

Whoa whoa whoa now. I understand what it takes to modify the RB26. That's the reason I went with the RB25 and all of the research I did for both engines.

Just kidding Jamie, but yeah don't assume we're all noobs =P.

Whoa whoa whoa now. I understand what it takes to modify the RB26. That's the reason I went with the RB25 and all of the research I did for both engines.

Just kidding Jamie' date=' but yeah don't assume we're all noobs =P.[/quote']

Exactly, we do understand and we actually know what is the purpose of our car. Mine is a daily driver, not a drag fan, more of a autocross. I sold my Rb25det about two month ago, thinking I want to do the rb26det, but then I figured it would be more than what i need at a much higher cost.

anyways, I understand I'm not a fab expert, but I'm a very good mechanic.