HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

Guest JAMIE T

OK, maybe YOU guys are an exception. Both of you have actually helped me make choices about my own car and I appreciate your contribution to the website. I hope this kit works for you both. My comment about the RB26 vs RB25 in install ease was mainly directed at the fact that McKinney didn't have a clue that the oilpan was not a easy fix for the RB26. Everyone I know of who uses the RB20 pan and a modified pick-up is SCARED the pick-up will fail at some point. Good luck with them and your RB25 swaps.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, maybe YOU guys are an exception. Both of you have actually helped me make choices about my own car and I appreciate your contribution to the website. I hope this kit works for you both. My comment about the RB26 vs RB25 in install ease was mainly directed at the fact that McKinney didn't have a clue that the oilpan was not a easy fix for the RB26. Everyone I know of who uses the RB20 pan and a modified pick-up is SCARED the pick-up will fail at some point. Good luck with them and your RB25 swaps.

regarding to the fact that the oil sump needs to be extended and may fail, have anyone intalled a dry oil sump "i think that's how is call in english", but yo u know is it oil pan less basically and is drive by the a individual oil pump and it can be pass through a oil cooler, plus a relocation kit... In my next trip to Yokota I would look into it, I'm just worry about the oil tank... expensive set up, but really good for highly moded engine.

please inform...

THanks Jamie! I was considering the kit, and haven't decided if I wanted to do this or not. I was merely trying to find information for HybridZ or those of you who wanted to find info about the kit. I knew a few things about a few of the different style trans mounts and what not. So I wanted to check with McKinney for everyone that's all. They are sort of local so that when the kit is done, I can go there, check it out, and inform the website of my findings. Ask questions etc...

Will keep you posted!

Guest JAMIE T

You can check out the thread about external oil coolers. Two threads got combined into one for a VERY informative thread. Some of the best reading you'll do here. Basically Joel S., KAZU, and myself are fitting our engines with external oil pick-ups via a port in the side of the oil pump. The OEM pump has a freeze plug in it and the aftermarket pumps(Joel has JUN) have a thread port. I fabricated my own oil pan and will plumb it for the external oil pick-up.

You can check out the thread about external oil coolers. Two threads got combined into one for a VERY informative thread. Some of the best reading you'll do here. Basically Joel S., KAZU, and myself are fitting our engines with external oil pick-ups via a port in the side of the oil pump. The OEM pump has a freeze plug in it and the aftermarket pumps(Joel has JUN) have a thread port. I fabricated my own oil pan and will plumb it for the external oil pick-up.

I red into it very interesting what you guys can do... I was refering to Dry sump. I saw this back in the island and I recently saw again in a Ae86 corolla, but this is out of the case, this may not be the solution to the problem, plus the set up is pricey.

Hey, 240Z turbo, how much for the oil pan?

Guest topsecretz

ive been lookin at that kit for a while, but i dont think they are making a kit for my year model (1983 280zx), i really want to RB26 my z. i dont want to have to custom make mounts, but i will if it is need.

ive been lookin at that kit for a while, but i dont think they are making a kit for my year model (1983 280zx), i really want to RB26 my z. i dont want to have to custom make mounts, but i will if it is need.

like is said I would check on Japan on my next flight there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest el Jefe

What if we started a thread for a group purchase for 240, 260 and 280 Top Hat engine and trans mounts? $345<$600 They don't currently make engine mounts for RB25/RB26s other than for the 240SX (maybe 200SX). Either way the trans mount would pretty much all be the same since nearly everyone is using an RB25DET RWD tranny.

It all depends on how much this kit costs.

I firmly believe in what you pay is what you get when it comes to things of this nature.

I pretty much bought everything from James for my conversion.

Aside from using some 1/8" to 3 1/6" pieces of steel and mig welding with a final powder coat (maybe they even used a can of spray paint), I think anyone that has minor fabrication skills could make the tranny mount for 15.00 worth of metal. All you need is a band saw, drill and have someone weld it together. Again, you just need the time and a little know how.

Once I drop in my motor, maybe I'll make a few extra of my custom mount.

H

I like the idea of there being a ready to use kit available but I just don't see a 'one fits all' solution. There are a two types of transmission mount brackets in the 240Z. The transmission mount in the picture seems to be for the earlier 240Z (vertical bolt style). Then would this kit be of no use to anyone with a Z newer than 1972? Then there is the problem of what transmission to use with an RB motor. Is the kit going to have to come with a list of parts that is was designed to be used with?

Once again, I think it is a good looking kit. I have spoken to McKinney in the past and they are very easy to deal with and provide good products. I just don't see how one kit can fit all of the possibilities. I would be interested if you could purchase only the parts that you would need. I am sure they will do something of this nature.

I mounted an RB25 into a 240Z and I spent less than $20 to do it. Sometimes you just have to stop and think things out and you'll find and inexpensive way to get it done.