HybridZ

Treating Metal

Oleh

I cut out my rear end, and welded everything back together, but because of the moisture, there's surface rust on the new sheet metal, what should i paint it with or prime that wont rust it out again. Or is the sheet metal bad. I looked at POR-15, also searched. Thanks

EDIT: A more indept search, i found out about RustMort. If any has any more ideas about this please post.

Guest 305240

When I lived in the land of super high humidity, (Florida) I had this problem constantly. Almost all the older cars I did had to be taken down to bare metal as they sported up to 8 different coats of paint. I feel you get a much better paint job this way, rather than trying to feather in different layers of paint. I stripped a 57 chevy roof in the morning. That afternoon it looked like I had sprayed it with a fine light brown rust. I wiped it off with a rag and coated it with Ospho. The car sat for a week in bare metal and showed no rust. I swear by this stuff. It also turns what little rust there is back to iron. I've never had any rust start afterwards. Even years later.

Have you seen http://www.picklex20.com? The more I learn about it the more I like it. I have ordered some for my car but haven't received it yet. What it does is coats the metal and leaves a light protective layer. It isn't a final coat, just a treatment for the metal. The thing I like most about it is that it actually IMPROVES weld strength, because it removes all the rust so that you're weld doesn't have any rust in it. Also, welding doesn't remove the coating. I'm going to use it on the rest of my project, then cover that with Zero Rust, then paint on top. I'm pretty confident that should do the trick. In the hard to reach spots, I got a blaster thingy from Eastwood. It's like a little paint pot with a 3' tip on it and you shove it into holes and blast the inside of the frame rails, etc. So I'm going to blast the picklex20 in there, then weld what I have to weld, then blast Zero Rust when I'm done.

Guest 305240

about 15-20 years ago I used to pay around 18 bux a gallon when I lived in Fla. Now I believe it's around 20 bux a quart last time I checked at the local paint shop. A little goes a long way. Rubber gloves and a cheap paint brush are required, as the stuff is an acid. It will not hurt glass, rubber, chrome or stainless.

about 15-20 years ago I used to pay around 18 bux a gallon when I lived in Fla. Now I believe it's around 20 bux a quart last time I checked at the local paint shop. A little goes a long way. Rubber gloves and a cheap paint brush are required, as the stuff is an acid. It will not hurt glass, rubber, chrome or stainless.

Generic Ospho called "The Right Stuff" sells for $5 / qt at Advance Auto. Works great!