HybridZ

Friend says spark plugs changed rpm at speed, please correct him.

KiD-ViD

Ok, a friend of mine is trying to tell me that now that he has installed iridium plugs he is seeing less rpm at a fixed speed than before. I am telling him this is impossible because engine speed + gearing = actual speed. There is no way to change the mph you are going at a certain rpm other than changing the gear ratio or by changing the wheel/tire size. Although I havnt posted in a while and do not own a Z, I know this forum to be the most technicly saavy and knowledgable I have ever come accross. Anyway, here is the aim conversation.

dxpong: I get less RPM all around at the usual speeds

dxpong: like at 5th gear going 70MPH, i'm at 3k RPM, but after the plug change I was running at 2,750 RPM

drumlightning5: thats physically impossible

dxpong: nah

drumlightning5: yes, actually it is

dxpong: hotter spark = less RPM

drumlightning5: no sorry

drumlightning5: its all gearing

dxpong: yes, and efficientcy

drumlightning5: no

drumlightning5: hold on a second

dxpong: I'll link you

dxpong: http://www.densoiridium.com/tunerstales.php

drumlightning5: your engine is spinning the flywheel at 3000 rpm which in turn spins the tranny whichs spins driveshaft to diff witch has another gear reduction which spins the wheels

drumlightning5: the engine speed is what determines speed

drumlightning5: efficency has nothing to do with it

Maybe his old plugs were bad and caused some noise to get into his tach, raising the displayed rpm....

ooo that is possible, but I think in this case unlikely. Oh and if anyone cares this is on a Z32 and the guy is in his mid 20's. I also recieved this later on...

dxpong: I talked it over with a professor at my uni

dxpong: due to an increase in HP/Torque is what's allowing the car to run at a lower RPM to KEEP the car at speed

Just let the kid live with his lack of understanding. Duuuuh! If he can't figure it out on his own, you will certainly never convince this genius!!! Besides, it's all black magic anyway....isn't it?

OK now, wait a minute, there may be something to this... seriously.

Do Z32s have lock-up torque converters? If so, I'm thinking that if he's seeing lower TPS and MAP at any given RPM, his converter might be locking up at lower speeds thereby giving him lower RPM at those speeds.

Or, of course, he's 'tarded.

OK now' date=' wait a minute, there may be something to this... seriously.

Do Z32s have lock-up torque converters? If so, I'm thinking that if he's seeing lower TPS and MAP at any given RPM, his converter might be locking up at lower speeds thereby giving him lower RPM at those speeds.

Or, of course, he's 'tarded.[/quote']

Too bad his car is a manual so I guess we will go with option #2.

Strotter, Your car is the yellow v8z right? If so I have seen you around town a few times and it is a beautiful car I must say.

• 1 year later...