HybridZ

NON-Z (Engine choices: Info Needed)

Tim240z

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member of that Opel board. The GT is VERY narrow and the oem torque tube diff is pretty damn weak. Pretty much anything over 150hp is gonna grenade it (~200hp with a LSD) There is nothing else that will work easily due to the narrow track. The Isuzu impulse diff can be swapped in easily, but the strength is no better, but does have disk brakes. Late 70s 3 series BMW is also an option......

Thanks Bart.....looked through those....been a member for quite a bit...

Went to the local toyota dealer. The parts guy said the 2x4 trans should bolt straight up. I wouldnt take that as gospel though. These guys were real wankers. Couldnt be bothered looking up numbers to double check. There wasnt any 3rz's in the yard. Turbo diesels rule the roost here. Whole episode left me feeling like never buying a toyota again despite haveing owned or raced one or more for the last 20 odd years.

Douglas

Hey, thanks a bunch for checking it out, Doug!!! Last time I went to a Nissan dealer to talk to them about the whole R200 vs R230 thing.....I will never buy a Nissan/Infinity from those monkeys either!!!!!!1

Out of those two engines, definetly go with a KA24DE. Its a great engine. Strong, and reliable. idk anything about the other engine. but the KA, in N/A form will make upwards of 220-240rhwp on motor w/o juice. With a turbo, you can manage 350rhwp on stock block, so anywhere from 10-12psi, maybe even 14psi on a T3/T4. The only problem with the KA is the weak ringland. They will blow after 1bar (14-15psi). If you run forged pistons ( many choices, Supertech, Weisco, Ross,) Forged Rods ( Aries handle up to 700rhwp), you should be able to make around 500-600rhwp with 25-30psi on a big turbo. You can run a T66 a SC61 a T3/T4Oe. The head, stock flows pretty well. On N/A cams you can make decent power, If your cheap, swap in a altima's intake cam so you'll get 248/248. Anyways, if your going with a 4 cyl, definetly go with a KA24. If your going for a high revving car, get a 3rotor, 13B, plenty fast with a turbo. Also, dont get a S2000 motor because it would take a shitload of money to make it fast, if you put I/H/E you could actually lose power on it.

Have you considered the Toyota 4AG 20V? Its a 1.6L four rated at between 170 (silvertop) and 185HP (blacktop) and bolts up to a T50 RWD tranny. The only problem is that you'd need to either fab a new intake manifold or cut and reweld the TB on the opposite side to fit it for RWD. Its a somewhat popular swap for RWD Corollas, so there is info out there on how to get it to all work. Its a pretty trick engine that comes stock with ITBs, VVTi, crazy high redline and good aftermarket support. In an 1800lbs car, I think it would work well. They're cheap too.

Are they US Dometic available, or are they JDM only?

I need something very available....and again...power and speed are not the over-riding consideration. Cheap, easy and relaible is what I'm looking for. The TT V8 in the Z will be my HP toy.

Hey, Tim kinda off the topic of the engine /transmission, but would do us a favor and post some pics of the car/engine bay to give a better understanding of size restraints you have. Not that any hybridz had a problem with fitment issues. :)

Tyson