HybridZ

Hardest car to change spark plugs on?

DavyZ

Man, I just spent a good hour (or more :rolleyes: ) changing spark plugs on my wife's Mazda MPV. Not impossible, but pretty tight in some areas. I did the job correctly and even used a torque wrench and anti-seize compound, etc---even gapped the plugs :D . During my hour of busted knuckle and scraped forearm pleasure, I wondered about some of the PITA cars out there--I know there are some MUCH worse then this.

So let's hear it! What is the WORST car you ever changed spark plugs on? On a PITA scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate it?

I give the Mazda an '8' on the PITA scale. Me no like.

Davy

Guest fly yellow

one of the mustangs with like the 429 you had to pull the motor to change the plugs

talk about big bucks having to have the motor oulled every couple thousand miles

1995 Chevy S10 Blazer with the VORTEC motor... Took me three hours to do a tune up on it... an hour and a half was on the sparkplugs...

2nd place goes to the V6 Fiero... Requiring unbolting the freaking front motor mount and rocking the engine towards the back of the car to get to the three plugs closest to the passenger compartment...

Mike :D

On the factory V8 Monza's you had to jack up the motor to get to the driver's side plugs. I own a 4th generation F-Body and have heard horror stories about the plugs. Mines only got 41,000 on it so I hope I don't have to experience it anytime soon.

How about oil filters. My buddy started to do an oil change on his girlfriends new Jeep Liberty, when he finds out that the oil filter would not come off, so he gives me a call. I go over there and I just couldn't believe how this vehicle was engineered from a maintenence standpoint. You could see the oil filter, you could work your arm into a small spot to actually touch the oil filter, but were you able to turn it? Yeah, about 1 degree! This was her first oil change and that filter was really on there! I was able to grab it with a small channel locks (the ONLY tool that was able to fit in the small spot) and squeeze it and turn it just a little bit before the channel locks hit a part of the engine compartment. Just as we were about to say screw it and take it to the local dealer the next morning and let them deal with it, I figured I would give it one more try... well, I sqeezed a little to hard, and the channel locks pireced the oil filter. Now there was oil everywhere. Man was this a mess. It eventually came off, but not after we removed the front sway bar and a few accessories in the engine compartment. It took three hours! I told my buddy that I would pay him to take in the Jeep Liberty to the dealer next time. Lesson learned? NEVER EVER EVER EVER DO AN OIL CHANGE ON A JEEP LIBERTY!

!M!

worst one so far is my old twin turbo stelth (aka 3000gt vr4). talk about pain in butt. took me two minutes to change three of them and then took me 3 or 4 hours to change other 3. i had to take off whole intake madifold and bunch of other crap just to get to them (bless its soul). thank god i got rid of that piece and got into z's. lesson learned stay the hell away from junk like that malebitchslap.gif

Guest Anonymous

plugs :D are tongue.gif those smile.gif hard emo.gif to find devices ;) John is looking for on that diesel motor of his. my advice is: if it ain't broke twak.gif don't fix it.John.Post some pictures when you find em. I might be interested in getting a set. Group buy any one?.