HybridZ

pobtiac 3.8 supercharged possible?

Dnaught14

I know people have talked about these engines, but has anyone done this swap. The engine would be out of a bonneville or monte carlo, they also have them in the buick rivera and can be had for 400-500 dollars with hardly any miles on them. The make 240hp and can be converted to use a t5 with a belhousing adapter. I also know that they have a weak bottom end, but if you were planning for no more than 300hp, i dont see the issue, and instead see a low cost swap. Let me know what you think, i have become curious.

I looked throught the forum for about an hour. It seems like the general concensus is that this would make a good daiey driver. I figure you turn the boost up with a smaller pulley and some basic mods, youd be closer to 250, 260 and the engine and mods required owuld be under 1200 dollars. The wiring would prolly suck, and fabbing mounts for the engine and transmission would be needed, but other than that it sounds good. Why hasnt anyone done this swap? I am puzzled.

• 3 years later...

bottom ends in the 3.8L series II or III is not weak by any means.

These are basically a built proof motor if mods are done right to them. I know more than a handful of friends of mine in the 11's and 12's with this motors either SC'd or Turbo'd.

one of the Top 10 motors ever.

I was under the impression that the intake would be aimed directly at the firewall with very minimal clearance in a RWD configuration (hence why every guy with a V6 f-body with exhaust doesn't have a blower too)...

yeah i know about the turbo sway, someone actually swapped a series II motor in an 87 buick grand national. he says the turboed series II is actually much smoother and over all better.

I was thinking....

l67 block(supercharged Gtp)

l36 heads (off 3.8 98 +f-body)

97 intake manifolds off fbody

97 throttle body

4l60e trans from v6 fbody

*custom driveshaft*

*custom downpipe*

turbo

*custom header*

modify wiring harness from GTP??

GTP Ecm?