HybridZ

Taurus Fan on V8 Chevy Z

Installed my $20 93 Ford Taurus Fan on the TT383 Z. I had to install it upside down to clear the turbo exhaust. So I added a small bracket to cover the opening in the shroud and to serve as the upper attachement point to the Arizona Z car radiator.

Initially, I used a 30 amp fuse to the 2-30 amp relays for the high speed setting and a separate fuse and relay to the low speed setting. Both are activated by separate toggle switches. I turn on one or the other but not both.

Can someone tell me what , if anything, would happen if I turn on both switches at the same time?

On high speed the fan worked great while the engine was not running. Once the engine started the fuse blew. I read that some of the members on this site had no problem running a 30 amp fuse with this fan, while others blew 30 amp fuses.

O.K, I used a 60 amp Maxi-fuse for my 2-30 amp relays. Problem Solved.

Today the Temperature was 98 degrees, so I decided to test the fan on the road. Drove up into the hills and hit it pretty hard when there was no traffic. The highest temperature reached was 182 degrees coolant, although my oil temp stayed at 200 degrees. Returning to the flatland traffic still did not raise the coolant temp above 182 degrees. I'm waiting for some 100 plus degree days to see what happens with the temp. Already had some days like that but I didn't have the airbox fixed until now and I'm using my old carb set-up again.

Thanks everyone for recommending this fan. So far it cools better than my Black Magic Fan.

Hanns

Taurus_Fan1.jpg

Nice work Hanns...

yeah those taurus fans can really suck (er I mean pull air). I bought 3 of them at the last 50% off sale day at ecology.....I am really surprised that you blew fuses....I only had a 20amp on each speed of mine. I was running 14 gauge wire.

Tim

Hanns

I'm not certain, but some fans if both fields are enrergized will burn up. Since I have never been told for certain if the Taurus will I power only one at a time. The following is a schematic for the fans if you wire as it is if both switchs are on the high speed field is energized. It is wired Hi or Low and not both.

Fans.jpg

If you want a second relay for high you simply parrallel in a second relay on high side of cricuit. Email me if you want me to draw circuit for you

Good luck

Turbo...what radiator are you using in your Z?

It is a Arizona Z Car Aluminum racing radiator(24 x 19). However, it is more the airflow through the radiator than the radiator itself that is the major cooling factor because my Black Magic Fan never cooled this well on this radiator.

Tim240z.....Thanks for the edit. I'll figure this posting thing out one of these days.

I don't understand why your fan runs on a 20 amp fuse when the fan draws 40 amps??? But then electrical questions often confuse me.

jack46.... Thanks for the schematic. I'm using 2 relays wired parallel to power the hi speed fan setting and a 3rd relay for the low speed setting.

80LT1....and jack46...Yes, I was afraid of burning up the fan if both switches are activated at the same time. For now I'll use this set-up because it's simple.

Hanns

Glad to hear you got the airbox fixed, so I assume the rest of the engine is ok? Also glad the Taurus fans seem to be working. Now, you need to get to a 1/4 mile track you don't normally race at so all of us wanna bee's can see that magical 9.50 1/4 mile run. Good luck, Mr. Hanns

I'm pretty happy with this fan as well. It seems to suck really good!

(:confused2 oxymoron?)

Mine seems to have trouble getting started sometimes. It has juice, but sometimes it just doesn't want to start spinning without a little help. I wonder if I need to replace the motor?

Nice install Hanns. :2thumbs:

You may or may not burn up the fan motor if you energize both high and low speed windings at the same time. The motor windings may take the heat ok but why risk it? It won't run any faster it will just run hotter. Ford's fan controller doesn't energize both at the same time. At the very least it will shorten the life span of the fan motor.

from Larry, cozyz

The two diagrams above show how to build and wire an auto relay switched 2-speed FORD TAURUS fan.

Parts needed......10 guage wire for the power circuit. 18 guage wire for the control cicuit.

Three relays..... 1) High speed relay, Tyco VF7-12V,70amps

2)Low speed relay and Aux relay, standard BOSCH relays

Two switches,,,,.1)Low speed temp. switch- Adj. Flexilite, FLX-31147 from SUMMIT.

2)High speed temp. switch from Standard Motor Products, TS-158 or TS-392.

I put the adj. low speed switch and the three relays in seperate relay boxes and mounted them in the engine comp. The high speed temp switch I mounted where one of the heater hoses went. Est. cost of parts, less the fan, is $50.00 . 10 guage wire is used in the power circuit and 18 guage in the control circuit. The 12V switched control circuit can be connected to any live connection with ignition on.

The control circuit shown is as follows..... When the temp. reaches your set low speed figure, let's say 190 deg.the low speed relay is energized thru pin 86, 85 connects to 87A of the AUX relay and pulls 30 of that relay, 87 of the low speed relay and 30 are closed sending power to the fan to run at low speed.

When the temp. reaches your high speed switch figure, let's say 210 deg. pin 86 of the AUX. relay energizes thru 85 and 30 releases from 87A of the low speed relay and connects with 85 of the high speed relay which thru 87 of that relay powers the fan to run at high speed.

ARE we confused yet?????

When the temp falls below the high speed swich figure the AUX relay will switch back to the low speed relay.

Therfore low and high speeds will never be on at the same time and you will have the following conditions...

1) No fan on.

2) Low speed on.

3) High speed on.

This set-up has worked great since installation of it and I fought heat problems for a year because of my blower set-up before this change and NO in dash switches.........

for some reason i can't post the pix of his set up ... he credited his partner with the wiring and schematic ...

email me and i can send you the whole thing ...

wkarnesATpacbell.net

wayne

I also used Cozyz's setup for my Taurus fan except that I have the LT1 PCM controlling the high and low speed circuits.

I tested my fan to see what would happen if both sets of windings were energized and found that it got pretty hot and actually ran slower than if just the high speed circuit was on, this is why I decided to use Larry's setup.

Wheelman

Waynekarnes,

Thanks for posting CozyZcole's diagram info. I had searched through prior threads on the taurus fan and found his diagram. However, I wanted manual control of the 2 fan speeds and thus decided on using separate toggle switches.

I also wanted to thank someone here who mentioned McMaster-Carr for shroud insulation. That stuff looks good and works. They sent it to me in a very timely manner.

Wheelman,

I'm glad you tested the fan by turning both speeds on at the same time. I had no intention of doing it but was just curious as to what would happen if I accidentally did this (sooner or later I'll forget and do it). And like others have mentioned turning on both fan speeds will not enhance fan life.

Bartman,

What do you have to do to get your fan started; spin it by hand?

Maybe your wiring is just loose.

Hanns

It would be a simple matter to wire both switches into themselves so one is an on-off switch and the other selects high or low speed. That way it wouldn't be possible to power up both leads at the same time.

My worry would be forgetting to turn them on in the first place.

Bartman' date='[/b']

What do you have to do to get your fan started; spin it by hand?

Maybe your wiring is just loose.

Hanns

Yes, I jut get it going by turning the blade manually with the end of a screwdriver or something similar (not brave enough to use my hand, the blades are pretty sharp and can spin pretty fast). It works fine 95% of the time, but I want to be sure it always turns on when I flip the switch. I don't know much about electrical, but maybe there's a bad spot in the motor and when it stops there it can't start again?

Guest 305240

I've had that problem using old brush type fans. However, I've never had a problen with the brushless type. These use the relatively flat motors, versus the old style looks like a blower motor. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with your motor, but sure sounds like it. I'd go to the JY and pull a Taurus fan and try that.

anyone have part numbers for the fan shroud seals used?

I used part # 1120A112, which really fits tight onto the shroud edge with a 1/16th opening. If you want it looser, there is a 1/8th inch opening size too.

I think the seal gives the fan a professional look especially after the shroud has been trimmed to fit the radiator.

Mike kz, thanks for the seal info.

Bartman, the Ecology center has several 2speed Taurus fans. If you just want a low speed Taurus fan and shroud, I will give you one.

Pop N Wood, that sounds like a good idea. I will make a diagram and if it won't require too much rewiring I may consider your suggestion.

Hanns