HybridZ

Taurus Fan on V8 Chevy Z

As for the shroud covering the radiator it also covers the radiator in rear so either way will restrict air flow, so caution is always needed to ensure the radiator has sufficent air flow.

If used as a puller, air has unrestricted access to front of radiator and fan channels it through shroud. If used as a pusher, the shroud initially blocks the incoming air to much of the front surface of the radiator. I'm not an engineer but I experimented using pusher and puller set-ups. The puller seemed to cool better.

Hanns

I have fan space envy for you V8 guys!

The reason I am going this direction is that I have no room to install a thick/deep puller fan on my turbo L6 (yeah, I know:rolleyes: ), and need serious air moved to compensate for a large, thick intercooler and A/C condenser. But there's all kinds of room behind the IC and ahead of the radiator. I currently have an aluminum bladed 16" Flex-a lite fan as a pusher that is "almost" adequate.

Anyhow, on my other daily driver Z, with no turbo, I use a rather small shrouded dual 10" pusher fan for cooling and this one works well with A/C in Summer Florida heat. No highway cooling issues either. I did initially have concerns about a front shroud restricting air flow.

I'm familiar with the common wisdom that says that pullers are more efficient than pushers-

I will get a Taurus fan and attempt to reverse the fan blade assemby, will report results.

• 1 year later...
With these fans, on high speed, there is no way that can't tell that it is working correctly.....they pull huge amounts of air....it is so obvious when it isn't working right....

Can you tell me the outside dimensions of the Taurus fan (including the shroud)?

Hey, Rick, sorry to hear about your pen... I mean V8 envy! LOL j/k!

Seriously, though, how about moving the L6 back to make room for the fan - I'm only about half kidding. John Coffey and a few others have done it for handling purposes, but I think If I did another L6 Z, I'd put it rearward for all of those reasons and to fit a good sized puller fan.

I'm interested to hear about turning the curved blade fan around and pushing with it - my bit of experience working around submarine propeller weenies (I mean the people that design the propeller blades LOL) showed me how critical blade design was and that the blade shape of a curved blade propeller was highly specialized. I just have a hard time thinking that you can turn it around and spin it the other direction and have it be anywhere as nearly efficient as it was designed to be. I won't go into the details. Anyway, I'd love to hear and hear about the progress on this.

Can you tell me the outside dimensions of the Taurus fan (including the shroud)?

This thread is 2 years old. But I just measured mine. Its tough to be real accurate with it in the car, but its about 22 across and 17 top to bottom, including the shroud. I have a 3 speed I picked up on Ebay, It is from a late 90's 3.8L Taurus, Linclon, Mustang.

This thread is 2 years old. But I just measured mine. Its tough to be real accurate with it in the car, but its about 22 across and 17 top to bottom, including the shroud. I have a 3 speed I picked up on Ebay, It is from a late 90's 3.8L Taurus, Linclon, Mustang.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Just a thought...

With the fan and shroud made of plastic, why couldn't you cut the fan out of the shroud, turn the shroud around to face the front of the radiator, stick the fan on the front (formerly rear) of the shroud, and leave the fan and blade to >pull air from the grille opening - into the shroud - and through the radiator<?

This would leave the fan rotation and orientation as designed.

(While you're at it, stretch and shrink the shroud where it needs it to cover the fins.)

It would also offer the opportunity to create an intake shroud to direct grille air into the fan... (which might make a fan-off status more frequent.)

Bumper repair places can tell you about "welding" the plastics back together.

Cheers -- Gary