HybridZ

resplined some 27 spine axles

DaEvil

Not sure if this will help anyone but this is what I did. Purchased a VLSD cheap (just the guts). Installed it in my R200. Got 2 output shafts 5 bolt from 92 300z and 4 axles. Made some adapters to go to the wheel side then cut and resplined the axles (27 splined). I have not driven the car yet but I think it should work. Here are a few pics

2_thumb.jpg

1_thumb.jpg

Is the adapter plate on the splined side of the companion flange, or the shaft side of the companion flange? It appears to be on the splined side, which I find hard to believe I'm seeing this photo correctly.

Edit, oops, I see it better now. Disregard! These adapters look very much like the ones I've had machined for the 930 joints. Can you show photos of the adapters themselves? My main question is what was required in terms of clearance for the nuts (the ones used to hold the companion flange onto the adapter) and the amount of material left after relief cuts for the nuts were made. Did you use studs instead of bolts?

yes its easy , I used my old ring gear just unbolted it. I had to make small bushings or spacers the old bolts were 10mm and the new onds were 12mm when i bolted it up to the new unit

Is the internal swap of the vlsd pretty straight forward? I have a complete r200 out of a 93z and 4 axles and I'd been thinking of something like this for a while.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and maybe that will answer some of your questions. I used grade 8 bolts no studs

Is the adapter plate on the splined side of the companion flange' date=' or the shaft side of the companion flange? It appears to be on the splined side, which I find hard to believe I'm seeing this photo correctly.

Edit, oops, I see it better now. Disregard! These adapters look very much like the ones I've had machined for the 930 joints. Can you show photos of the adapters themselves? My main question is what was required in terms of clearance for the nuts (the ones used to hold the companion flange onto the adapter) and the amount of material left after relief cuts for the nuts were made. Did you use studs instead of bolts?[/quote']

Yes I cut each one LOL and used carbite cutters because of the hardness

Cool!

How the heck do you go about resplining the shafts though? Is there a cunning machine or is it a matter of using a rotary/index plate thing and a milling machine to cut each slot individually?

Cheers' date='

Rob[/quote']

here are 2 more pics I hope that helps

Is the adapter plate on the splined side of the companion flange' date=' or the shaft side of the companion flange? It appears to be on the splined side, which I find hard to believe I'm seeing this photo correctly.

Edit, oops, I see it better now. Disregard! These adapters look very much like the ones I've had machined for the 930 joints. Can you show photos of the adapters themselves? My main question is what was required in terms of clearance for the nuts (the ones used to hold the companion flange onto the adapter) and the amount of material left after relief cuts for the nuts were made. Did you use studs instead of bolts?[/quote']

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a q45 r200 from the jy and some companion flanges from a 90 300zx na 5 bolt. I would like to use the r200 long but i am a little fuzzy on a few things.

The 12mm bolt spacers - not sure where to find these. Have a machine shop make them?

The companion flange couldn't you thread the companion flange or would the alluminum be too soft to do this? Are they about 1" thick?

Is there any advantages between the 5 bolt and 6 bolt cv units?The q45 will have the 6 bolt and the 300zx has the 5 bolt.

Having a problem finding someone to make axle shafts. Any suggestion?

I would really like to see a picture of the q45 innards in the r200 long casing. Does the axles differ in length than tim240z setup?

This is a matter of opinion but should i buy another r200 long and fit the q45 in that....would this make the process easyier or no difference?

Thanks

Brian

it can get a little confusing. First you said you got a R 200 from a Q45 from the JY did it come with the output shafts ? You will need them and that would also determine if you are going to need 5 or 6 bolts flanges. It is a VLSD correct ?

So far this is what i have

Have

1-R200 from 280z

1-R200 from Q45

2-companion flanges from 300zx (5 bolt) not Threaded

2-companion flanges from q45 (six bolt) Threaded

Need

1-Driver side Axles (Size??)

1-Passanger side (Size??)

2-Adapter for companion flange (5 Bolt)

2-12 mm spaces for bolts (ring gear)

So far $300