HybridZ

L28ET head gasket problem?

Guest 240Zdragon72

Guest 240Zdragon72

Believe me when I say that I searched! My new Felpro head gasket came in today. When I placed it onto the block, a lot of the oil and coolant passages get blocked off. I have another one for the E88 head and it does not close as many holes as the turbo one does. Is the turbo gasket safe to use with all those passages closed off or should I use the E88 one? I'm confused. The package said it was for my engine?

Thanks

I believe the head gasket for the turbo has a slightly different shape and is not interchangeable with the NA gasket. You should be able to lay them on top of each other to see the difference. You might try a Stone or a Nissan head gasket if that Fel-Pro looks iffy. I never was a Fel-Pro fan...

You've got the wrong gasket. I made the same mistake. I order the gasket for my turbo motor and I got the same one you got. I came back and ask him to show me a gasket for 79-81 N/A car and the parts guy gave me the correct one. The bad thing is I actually had this wrong gasket in my spyderzxt now. It drove fine but the problem is the head will be very hot because of the oil stuck up there and won't return as fast to the pan. The result is my oil temp will never get very hot. This winter I will tear it down and put the correct gasket on it. Good luck

Guest bastaad525

This is one of the reasons I stopped using Felpro's and will ONLY use Nissan gaskets anymore. But anyways, I did have this exact same thing happen when I ordered a turbo-specific fel pro part, from Napa I believe?

And here's another one for u all....Just finished remote assignment to return to finish rebuild, but encountered leakage along gasget on plug side static, ie not even run....began leaking during coolant addition. Had to pull head and repl POS motorsports gasket with old OEM that was kicking around junkbox, which sealed fine, since it has all that pressure sensitive adhesive. The MSA was the ubiquitous brown teflon, same as NAPA. Finally ordered OEM as spare from dealer at $58...ouch.

MSA sent wrong kit, then made me pay for replacement intk/exh manif gasket, since they sent one for round port exh. Then they sent the POS carbon graphite one which will not stand up to any movement through thermal and/or bottoming of exh duiring unscheduled off road excursions. The preferred gasket has the metal flanges available from Victor.

This is what to expect from aftermarket on older vehicles. I am also having sticker shock from all sources since this my first rebuild since '94. Oh well.

what happens if you dont use any copper spray?

i installed my nismo 2mm one on my L28ET without spray or some silver spray paint..

will it leak?

i dont mind taken the head off the block again.. as im still not sure what to torque my ARP headstuds too. i did 47lbs i think.

mike

Guest bastaad525

I think if you don't spray them (and sometimes if you do) the head bolts/studs may need to be retorqued more than once if you use those metal gaskets. I know some people have mentioend having to tighten them 3-5 times.

I had to replaced my headgasket 6 times this year for various reasons. I am now using the felpro gasket with ARP studs. It is holding fine. I really doubt that there are oil pasages plocked since there are only 2 oil pasages in the block/gasket. On my felpro gasket they were both reinvorced with copper rings. The rest of the holes are water pasages and of course the headbolt holes. The oil drains back at the front and rear of the head. Not via any other holes in the gasket. Not all water passages are neccesary. I have heard that in later years some water passages were deliberately blocked to keep coolant in the head longer for better heat transfer.

just use the felpro gasket and be happy with it. Lots of us have used them and they seem to work fine. I think that after oem nissan and copper headgaskets they are the best out there. I have tried oem and felpro and the felpro looks a hell of a lot better. Easier to remove too. I have also tried ROLL gaskets and ROCKS (sp?) brand. They were both a POS.

I have run the HKS gaskets on all of the turbo engines I have built. The one currently in the car is a JY stock longblock. Gasket is unknown, but rest assured, once the head comes off, a metal gasket will go in.

mike

• 1 year later...