HybridZ

Take a look at this quick release hub

Is this thing anything, or just a piece of crap?

As I understand it it will be in between the steering wheel and the existing hub, and that means the steering wheel will come further toward the driver and that's a bad thing I guess. Opinions? Anyone tried it?

Would be very nice as an anti theft device and it's cheap.

I can't address the part itself (looks a little too artsie-fartsie for my tastes) but I can say that I personally did not like the decreased distance between me and the steering wheel when I added a quick-release hub on my Z. I ended up cutting the column and removing about 2", and then welding it all back together after I welded the hub on the end.

Well if you look at the aftermarket wheels they have different offsets. So you'd want something thats pretty flush to go with the wheel or else it'll be up in your face. If you look at a lotta stock wheels like ours for example its offset so the hub part sticks out a lot more. Here's an example from my eclipse with a Nardi Wheel

eclipsewheelbig.jpg

Well, even more on my part since I live in Europe. The total would be around 70$. But the only other quick release hub I've seen before that fits the MOMO steering wheel pattern costed around 200$ or something....

Anyone knows of something cheaper?

I looked itno another one of these a while back. I don't know your local laws but the quick-release hub eliminates the horn function so, if that is required where you are, you'd have to devise another way to actuate it. I'd also be worried about what apears to be a very low price. Most of the ones I've seen run $40-60 US.

I'm actually looking at a spacer to bring the wheel slightly closer to me - or should a say an inch further from my knees so they don't rub on the back side of the steerign wheel. I'm staying steadfast with maintaining the horn function though.

I have the Snap Off hub and I too cut a section out of the column and re-welded it. Mines a little loose but I absolutely had to have the one with the lock on it.

If you have aQR hub and leave it on while away, some one could steal your wheel. So for security reasons, your steering wheel always has to come with you, it's not always practical so I got one with the lock.

Owen