HybridZ

280ZX Turbo Specs

Lurch2461

Hi All,

I am a newbie from Sydney Australia and I don't own a Zed car.

What I do own is an 84 Nissan Skyline Paul Newman Version that looks similar to the M30 Infinity you had in USA but it's powered by an L series 2000cc 6 cyl SOHC 12V same as all Zed's up to 280.

I am void of certain facts in Ozland and would like to know if you guys can help.

I am undertaking the building of the L31 stroker engine. I have an F54 block, P90 head, LD28 crank, L24 rods, am going to use Z24 pistons, but would like to know your recommendations for flywheel, clutch and cam etc. I intend to turbo it as well with either a high flow T03 or T04but would like to stay under 14psi of boost, so that some reliability can be attained.

Can you guys tell me the 280 flywheel diameter, clutch size and is the 280ZX Turbo bits bigger or same size and recommended cam grind and profile etc.

The aim is 250 - 300HP at the wheels.

Cheers,

Dennis

For the flywheel the 2+2's flywheel is the same size as the 280zx turbos. As for clutch just go to a clutch joint and ask for a clutch to suit for 300+ rwhp. Thats all I did and they gave me an organic button clutch from exedy. Does the job quite well, but its very aggressive. The stock p90 cam will do the job for 300rwhp.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

You'll spend thousands more than you need to if you do what you're planning on doing. Plenty of people here putting down 300 whp on stock internals' date=' no stroker.[/quote']

Thanks for this, I have printed off everything relevant.

I have done some research into the stroker and the prime reason was the torque gain and I had to acquire a crank in any case, as the F54 block I got only came with caps & sump so LD28 was as good as any.

I don't want to put 20+ psi boost into it so the extra capacity would help.

Thanks heaps for your help

How do I get pics on to this site, as I can post some pics of the car I'm playing with for you guys to see.

Search site support for posting pics or check this thread' date=' it may be all you need. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97297&highlight=post+pics

cut and past the url between the url

Thanks,

That surely look angry from here.

60mm Throttle Bodies are on KA24's in Ozland, same as the turbo Oil pump is as well, but I have a 65mm off an RB25DE, IS IT TOOOOOOO BIG???

Cheers

Dennis

I'm making around 270rwhp (australian spec hp I might add) on 10psi with an internally standard L28ET.

There are many different ways to get the hp you want, and what on earth makes you think that anything over 14psi isn't reliable? Bobbycock. I plan on running around 20psi through the standard L28 (F54/P90) so we'll see how long that hangs together.

I'd be interested to see the dyno graph for your engine once its done, I bet it'll be making some nice power down low, especially with a baby T3/T4 turbo. :)

Dave

60mm Throttle Bodies are on KA24's in Ozland' date=' same as the turbo Oil pump is as well, but I have a 65mm off an RB25DE, IS IT TOOOOOOO BIG???

Cheers

Dennis[/quote']

My FJ20ET has a 65mm throttle body, drives nicely almost like a NA around town. On the conservative Brisbane MoTec dyno we got 272RWHP @1.2bar boost, 6250RPM before the injectors maxed out.

It revs easily to 7000RPM, 1.5bar would be very comfortable but I don't want to over stress the driveline, start ripping teeth off third gear. C'mon, you L series blokes need to get serious :D

I'm making around 270rwhp (australian spec hp I might add) on 10psi with an internally standard L28ET.

There are many different ways to get the hp you want' date=' and what on earth makes you think that anything over 14psi isn't reliable? Bobbycock. I plan on running around 20psi through the standard L28 (F54/P90) so we'll see how long that hangs together.

I'd be interested to see the dyno graph for your engine once its done, I bet it'll be making some nice power down low, especially with a baby T3/T4 turbo. :)

Dave[/quote']

Dave,

It's nice to know some ozzies are here as well, I was told by some of the SAU guys you were on this forum.

Do you know Steve Lamb in Melbourne?

I have been trying to raise him but he doesn't answer emails particularly promptly.

L Series I'm learning all over again, as my first tilt at them was with a 73 SSS 180B and for the last 4 or 5 years have been researching RB's.

The block I have is void of a crank, so I figure an LD28 is as good as any, when I had to get one anyway.

How much should I pay for a T5 gearbox?

Cheers,

Dennis in Sydney in Oz

My FJ20ET has a 65mm throttle body' date=' drives nicely almost like a NA around town. On the conservative Brisbane MoTec dyno we got 272RWHP @1.2bar boost, 6250RPM before the injectors maxed out.

It revs easily to 7000RPM, 1.5bar would be very comfortable but I don't want to over stress the driveline, start ripping teeth off third gear. C'mon, you L series blokes need to get serious :D[/quote']

Richard,

What injectors can I use?

Can the RX7 injectors be used in L series?

Cheers,

Dennis in Sydney in Oz

Its a while since I looked at injector sizes Dennis but basically you want a set that will flow the max power you are looking for at no more than 80% duty cycle. Do a Google, there are a couple of good injector sites around that have lots of info on specifics.

Its a while since I looked at injector sizes Dennis but basically you want a set that will flow the max power you are looking for at no more than 80% duty cycle. Do a Google, there are a couple of good injector sites around that have lots of info on specifics.

Richard,

I already own a set of 460 series 4 RX7 injectors I was going to use in my RB and I think they will flow about 500HP, but by what you say I might need 550's.

Thanks.

Dennis,

I'm using the RX7 460cc injectors at the moment too. Haven't seen them go much past 50%DC (and my engine is still running a tad rich), so I dare say they'll make the power you want happily enough.

I also dare say you will want more than 350 soon enough. :D

I don't know Steve personally, but have emailed back and forwards with him a few times. What are you chasing from him?

Richard,

You realise you could be making almost half as much power again if you hadn't accidentally misplaced two cylinders?

Dave

Dennis,

I don't know Steve personally, but have emailed back and forwards with him a few times. What are you chasing from him?

Richard,

He had an F54 Block set up with front pan sump to suit the R30 Skyline.

He offered it to me some time back but I had some health issues and couldn't go on with the deal at the time.

I have sent him an email but he hasn't responded or replied.

Dennis

Dennis' date='

The email address I have for him is lambsr@optushome.com.au

Is this still current and or is there any way you would know a phone number for me to contact him on.

Cheers

Dennis

Guest 260ondubs

Hey, I'm up in Brisbane and i'm using Bosch 550cc. Work extremely well.

In my L28ET I have an NA F54 converted over with an E88 head... very aggresive cam and a IHI Turbo.

With my stock (but very good condition) internals I am making about 220 to 230 kilowatts. That's not half bad considering all the stock reciprocating pieces that are in place.

Oh, and I also have an Exedy clutch that handles power nicely, but is just a little hard to live with. Worth it though.

Hey' date=' I'm up in Brisbane and i'm using Bosch 550cc. Work extremely well.

In my L28ET I have an NA F54 converted over with an E88 head... very aggresive cam and a IHI Turbo.

With my stock (but very good condition) internals I am making about 220 to 230 kilowatts. That's not half bad considering all the stock reciprocating pieces that are in place.

Oh, and I also have an Exedy clutch that handles power nicely, but is just a little hard to live with. Worth it though.[/quote']

Does anyone know where I might find a BW T5 Bellhousing to suit the L28 280ZX Turbo engine?

Dennis