HybridZ

11 lb. Flywheel

Guest flash

right now i just have a lightened on to about 13 lbs .. it works nice .. snaps up in rpm and snaps right back down. i have a 9lb fidanza that i was going to put on but i remembered my friend took a few of the bolts that held the outer teeth on :( i have to find some. i dont know any cons about it besides it wont hold your speed on freeway .. when you let of gas your car deacells quick :P

Good. 11lb flywheel frees up some hp and makes heel/toe downshifting much easier. Only downside is you have to be a little quicker on the stick when you shift. I drove my cammed, 44 Mikunis, 12lb flywheel car with ACT clutch in stop and go daily for years. Never had a problem. The 6 has enough torque to overcome all of the low speed driveability issues.

One thing to keep in mind with aluminum flywheels, they can't tolerate getting hot. Normally that's not an issue in regular street driving but if your clutch starts slipping you need to replace it right away. You can't just baby it while you save money to buy a new clutch becuase the heat generated will affect the aluminum flywheel. Remember, 400+ degrees puts aluminum through another aging cycle.

My 260z carbed motor had the fidanza flywheel it its throttle response and able to rev was just the same as my 00' miata. The car felt much quicker in 1st and 2nd and it the car itself felt lighter. Within a week I got use to the lighter flywheel and daily drove this car for a month in houston traffic.

Do the light weight flywheel, you'll love it. I had heard all the old tales about them not being very friendly for street driving, which just didn't sound right to me, but after installing one and driving it I realized the Z drove much easier than before with the heavy stock flywheel. And in addition the car will accelerate better. John's point is, as usual, a good one.....learn to use the clutch with as little slippage as possible and it will live a normal life.

One thing to keep in mind with aluminum flywheels, they can't tolerate getting hot. Normally that's not an issue in regular street driving but if your clutch starts slipping you need to replace it right away. You can't just baby it while you save money to buy a new clutch becuase the heat generated will affect the aluminum flywheel. Remember, 400+ degrees puts aluminum through another aging cycle.

So, in other words, get a strong enough clutch to match? If i'm thinking this right, it's harder on your clutch because it has to move the same amount of mass quicker thus slipping easier, wich is what causes your flywheel temp to raise. Hmm, makes sence I guess. Always something new to learn. I should tell my buddy about that fact with his 8 lb. honda fly.... His clutch slips everytime he's hard on the car.

Well, a couple of launches he's fine. Then he has clutch cable issues that are kinda strange. It's cable, (non hydraulic) and after a hard run he can't get full engaugment for some reason. At first it's like 90% and it will only slip a little and then later at the end of bracets at the strip closer to 60% and it's slipping like crazy. Becuase of this he runs slow his first couple of runs. I don't know what the REAL issues it, but he's thinking about changing the tranny out to hydraulic anyways, since he grinds almost every gear (problem he's had with the tranny ever since we got the motor running out of japan) and probly needs to be replaced anyways. He told me that origonally he'd gotten the strongest clutch he could without going to a puck type clutch. As it is he has a hard time driving it in SF due to no torque at the bottom end, in wich case his clutch likes to slip as well.

Anyways, enough with HIS problems, he's buying a RX7 FD soon anyways, so forget him. I'll just have to go and steal the motor....