HybridZ

What would you do with 5K$'s.

Guest forbanger

Buy GM puts (a short position). As long as things keep going like they are and baby boomers start collecting pensions, GM is going to continue to fall. If you are wondering what to do with regard to the car.

I have owned everything from a Z32 to a 1974 260 w/sbc and 700R4. I do not like the 280ZX or the Z31. They both seem in between cool and slick making them either click of sool. I always come back to first generation Z's because they are the most fun.

Here is what I am doing if ALEX ever gets me my engine:

Put in Tokico Illumina springs and shocks $700 ebay MSA direct, I think

SR20DET & engine mount $2500 with shipping

Intercooler and header $ 313

Intake manifold $ 225

Oil pump $ 100 got a deal

Water pump $ 70

Fuel pump $ 91

Install with exhaust and drive shaft $1000 got a deal

TOTAL $5000

Miscellaneous other expenses $1,000,000

Mat73GNZ' date=' How did you know I had an 82? I take it you are from Wisconsin too?

I got rid of the 82, it took me about 2 weeks before I lost interest. It was a 2+2 I just did not like the look.[/quote']

I know you had an '82 from this post: click here

I say go for a '70's Z car (a.k.a. an S30) and put a 280ZX turbo engine in. Swaps right in. The engine can be made to go quick with little modifications, heck my buddy Garrett was in the 12's still with the stock turbo. The swap is not different to the word of Z's, but how many do you see in Wisconsin? We're a dying breed in these northern states. I only know a dozen or so Z guys in my parts, and it gets more scarce as you go north. It's fun to have a car that most people have no clue what it is and/or what can be done with it.

!M!

Here is what I am doing if ALEX ever gets me my engine:

hahaha you dont have to wait for me, i let you know ahead of time i was waiting on getting the harnesses in so they wouldnt be ready for a while, you can go ahead and get the engine from somewhere else if its a big rush...

Call me vain but most Z's look like $hit (including mine' date=' for now that is).[/quote']

I know what you mean. My bro gives me a bad time just about 5 times a week about how crappy Zs look. To wich my repsonce it almost always "well, they're not TOO bad stock, but I can only see the potencial, wich is AWSOME." To wich he almost always replies "Ok, so 20 years from now you MIGHT have a good looking car." Then I say "Well, at least it will me MY good looking car, not me and 3000 other people's good looking car."

And for anyone who skipped that whole ordeal... I think they're a good base for looks.

5k eh? That's it? Well, IF I already had a S30 Z (mine's a 81'ZX) I'd put a completelly stock L28ET in it and put the rest of it into suspention and some little things. Like maybe $300 into a stereo. Maybe a roll cage, depending on suspention cost. Strut bars for sure.

Honestly though. I think I'm just gonna wait another 5 years till they're cheeper, and go with a honda S2k motor. Standard 6 speed is one of the best on the market. Sure, it can only handle 500hp, but it shifts like a dream. And I'd only ever look for a reliable 250NA to the wheels. I'd expect to spend somewhere between 15-25k for total cost (that include the S30 car) depending on where I decide to stop. I could see spending even more than that though, but at that kind of cost level it's only justified if it's a track only car.

If that is all you want, there is a SR20DET S15 on ebay with a 6 spd for like $3200. With a decent exhaust and intake, you should be able to get a reliable 250hp without modding it. The 6-spd I understand is reliable also as long as you don't get up over 300hp or so. The 6-spd is the same tranny as the 5-spd with narrower gears to accomodate the extra gear.

• 2 weeks later...

My 5K is going toward the SR20DET from Vildini. Plus the additional funding from selling my old L28 built by Pierre. I've had a stock L24 in a 73, a L28ET in a 73, and a triple carbed L28 in a 73. I don't know what a 240Z with an SR20 is like, but I'll find out soon... More info when it's done, no pressure Alex.