HybridZ

What would you do with 5K$'s.

Guest forbanger

Guest forbanger

HI Guys,

This would be a pretty dull question. What would you do if you have a stock 70's z and 5000's? SR20, RB'S, toyota twin 6, 7mgte, or even just the turbo l28 motor?

This wouldn't be a drag racer or anything, just a weekend driver that would creep up on supras, vetts and other unsupecting cars.

Will consider every opinion! So please give it to me.

Will do all the labor my self. so the 5g's will only go to parts.

Thanks,

Jose

for 5k sr20 and rb are pretty much out and less you can get great deals on all the parts you need. Toyota twin 6 is out pretty much to. a 7mgte is pretty cheap and can make good power, the l28et is cheap, and then you can always put in a SBC cheaply also. You will find in building a car the "little stuff" always adds up...fast.

Guest bastaad525

L28ET can definately be done for less than $5k... A running donor car can cost anywhere from free to a couple grand. Everything you need can be pulled from one donor 280zxt to get you started and it all bolts right into the early Z chassis. You can do decent suspension setups for well under $1000... I think my Eibach/Tokico set cost me about $500-600? You'll spend significantly more for a fully adjustable set but I feel those are overkill unless you're road racing/auto crossing. For driving on the street they are overkill IMO. For brakes, you can upgrade to Toyota 4 piston calipers in front for about $100. Or you can just throw a good set of pads in the stock calipers and install some braided stainless brake lines, probably about $150. Then just get a good intercooler, a set of used SVO injectors, and a good BOV, all for under $1000 as well (you might get closer to $500 if you get a decent I/C off eBay). Then just turn up the boost... boost controller can cost from $10 to $500.

You end up with a decent handling and stopping car that has 250-300rwhp and can run the 1/4 mile in low 13's or better and with money to spare. The only problem is you have to leave some of this up to luck. I went this route, but in the end I spent quite a bit more than $5000 only because the donor car I bought, the motor ended up being shot, even though the seller swore it was recently rebuilt. Consider having a compression and leakdown test done before buying if at all possible.

Great Question!!!!! If I had five grand I'd put it in to the paint and body work! .. I know thats not the answer that you were looking for but you said that you would consider all answers. A stock L28 with a good cam and dual SU's can put out some pretty good RWHP. I'd spend the rest of the $ on the looks of the Z. Call me vain but most Z's look like $hit (including mine, for now that is). I think I would rather have a "quick" and beautiful Z and a balls out "sleeper". BTW I'm thinking about going turbo, but not untill I make mine beautiful. Just my 2 sence.

Rock on Z people!

P.S. 72 with F54 ballanced internals, n-42 with schnider valve train and cam 460.lift 270.duration, dual SU's , 2mm steel head gasket, 6-2 headers 2 1/2 inch exaust. with 82 zx disszy all for about 1,000! I know people :twisted:

Let's see Jose...off the top of my head expected costs...

L28 turbo long block / donor car $300-$1000 ... depending on running condition.

Clutch ~ $350 for a decent one

upgraded turbo T3/T4 hybrid ~ $600 - $800

Downpipe and exhaust ~ $400-$500

Fuel lines and fuel pump ~ $200 - $300

Upgraded injectors ~ $250

Intercooler, connectors and piping ~ $500 - $700 for something efficient

Engine management (assuming you want to get rid of the crummy factory AFM and electronics) ~ $800 for a used system on up, unless you can wire up a megasquirt system)

and probably figure another $500 for odds and ends that you will want/need (like gauges, hoses, clamps, wires, filters, etc.)

All of that is just the go fast stuff, it does not include handling, braking etc...

As you can see, all that stuff adds up quickly. I mean, it CAN be done for much less, but you are stuck fighting with inferior components, lacking adjustability, efficiency and longevity. If you do things right the first time, you'll be able to enjoy the car instead of enjoying working on it all the time...

Guest bastaad525
Let's see Jose...off the top of my head expected costs...

L28 turbo long block / donor car $300-$1000 ... depending on running condition.

Clutch ~ $350 for a decent one

upgraded turbo T3/T4 hybrid ~ $600 - $800

Downpipe and exhaust ~ $400-$500

Fuel lines and fuel pump ~ $200 - $300

Upgraded injectors ~ $250

Intercooler' date=' connectors and piping ~ $500 - $700 for something efficient

Engine management (assuming you want to get rid of the crummy factory AFM and electronics) ~ $800 for a used system on up, unless you can wire up a megasquirt system)

and probably figure another $500 for odds and ends that you will want/need (like gauges, hoses, clamps, wires, filters, etc.)

All of that is just the go fast stuff, it does not include handling, braking etc...

As you can see, all that stuff adds up quickly. I mean, it CAN be done for much less, but you are stuck fighting with inferior components, lacking adjustability, efficiency and longevity. If you do things right the first time, you'll be able to enjoy the car instead of enjoying working on it all the time...[/quote']

That was harsh :D See that's a whole different approach too, that really focuses on going very fast, but as you said, doesn't address handling, breaking, or even cosmetics. My approach was more rounded, focusing on maxing out performance from the stock T3 and EFI as many of us have done, which should get you somewhere between 250-300rwhp, which is a LOT in a very light Z, especially the earlier Z's. Since I wanted some of the handling too, I opted to upgrade the suspension before going for things like a bigger turbo.

But if you're more concerned about straight line than anything else... yeah a bigger turbo and better EFI and 300+ rwhp is almost guaranteed.

About the cosmetics... I can only speak for myself, but I say... depending on where you live, how much traffic you deal with, how often you plan on driving, how much insurance coverage you want to pay for... I dunno.. I just decided, let mine be a sleeper. I don't want a great looking car, because that would just be too much stress for me... any little dirt, smudge or god forbid scratch or dent... and I'd flip out. And living in SoCal, where people generally just don't give a f*** about anyones property but their own, door dings, shopping cart collision scratches, etc., are practically guaranteed. So let it look like crap then I dont have to care that much, and just focus on being fast :D

If I was going to spend 5K and wanted a bang for the buck, I'd buy an old project muscle car and let it appreciate for a yr or two and make money (like I did). Last one I bought is a 70 Judge -- it's triple in value in one and a half yrs. Then I'd spend the money on the Z. But, that's why I don't spend much time here anymore even though---I do own an 88 turbo and a 260. I might buy another house for rental income possibly.

Guest forbanger

Hi 80LT1! Nice car and website!

Mat73GNZ, How did you know I had an 82? I take it you are from Wisconsin too?

I got rid of the 82, it took me about 2 weeks before I lost interest. It was a 2+2 I just did not like the look.

To Everyone else, Thanks for the input! Lots and Lots of input. I can do some projects for a lot of money (I have done this before), but I just wanted to get some Ideas with a set value.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to:

1) A Z31 w/an Rb25det

2) A fully restored 70's Z (I just love the look).

3) A 240 with a sr20 (way boring).

Who knows I may just buy a stang? I just have to make up my mind on what I really like.

Again, thank you for the responses!

-Jose