HybridZ

We Did It Again - Z-car 1/4 Mile Drag Time

Hello to everyone,

Well since the SEZ Shootout was postponed until next year we brought our Z-car to a 1/4 mile strip and ran it. Aiken SC at Carolina DragWay, we pulled the Z-car off the trailer and went to staging, my brother Jerry was driving and he was supposed to do a shakedown pass 1/8 only. I guess it was to much for him and hung it out the back door.

I will be posting time slips soon along with new video on our website www.jnjdragracing.com. 1st pass 1/8 was a 6.2? something at 122mph and 1/4 of a 9.6? at 143mph. He went to the high chip 7800 rpm about 150 feet from the end of the 1/4. 2nd pass, same thing 1/8 except 1/4 was 147 mph. I told him I could put in a bigger high chip or pull it out and my brother Jerry said that was fast enough for him.

We made a total of 5 passes, with the last three on 20 % juice. 1/8 was 5.8? letting off before the 1/4 and still went through at a 9.6? at 120mph I think. Did not break anything, no oil leaks, just a good time. Oh they said we had to have a parachute if we were going to run 1/4 mile again.

That would look a little funny a parachute mounted on the Z-car with no wheelie bars and a stock Z supsension. My brother Jerry said if we ran 1/4 with a 8500 rpm high chip we would have no problem getting to 160 mph. Z-car was just to light feeling on the other end at that speed. Braking would also be a problem with stock brakes.

Just wanted to let everyone know about it.

John@jnjdragracing.com

Guest JAMIE T

zcarhalfshaft.JPG

When he said stock, he meant STOCK!!!

That is awesome.

Basically, empty out the crap from the interior, throw a bad-*** engine and trans in it and press GO!!!

Much kudos to those guys. Talk about getting it DONE!

Halfshafts have been beefed up some, changed out some ujoints to bigger ones located on the differential side, running a R200 with 390 gears, weleded it up posi. My brother Jerry has changed out all the rubber etc in the rear end. You can email him at jerry@jnjdragracing.com for more details.

stock suspension!!! what about halfshafts and etc? what rear end you running?

thats just awesome.

mike

Guest jbarker

This is Jerry from jnjdragracing.com , it is a little more complicated than that. We broke more than our share of halfshafts before we found out what to do. I did my home work, and alot of trial & error. Alot of credit goes to Jerry Boatwright,a real good friend of mine. He had a 240Z that ran 6.14 @115 mph in the 1/8th 7 years ago on stock halfshafts.

I myself am having problems with halfshafts on my L6 with tripple webers, any "secrets" you might care you share would be greatly appreciated, I'm a broke college student, but i'd be willing to throw some cash your way for the helpful info. It's got to be cheaper than replacing halfshafts all the time.

-Ed

...I'm a broke college student' date=' but i'd be willing to throw some cash your way for the helpful info. It's got to be cheaper than replacing halfshafts all the time....

-Ed[/quote']

Ed,

This site was created for the free flow of information for the Z car. I'm sure they will post whatever info they have since drag Z cars are not as common as say... Hondas. It's not like they will run into some stiff competition from anyone on the board.

Hear that guys? Give us some info please!! :mrgreen:

Davy

It is a IHRA santioned track, We run as a No Time car / Grudge car. We can not race in an event because of the half shafts I am pretty sure. This was a Thurday night test and tune / Grudge night, so we did not have to through Tech. How ever we will be required to have a parachute before we can run 1/4 mile again. So we will stick to 1/8 mile from now on.

Those are amazing drag strip et's and mph's for an independent rear suspension. I'm surprised that the track officials allow you to run that quick with that suspension. Is that a NHRA sanctioned strip?

Hanns