HybridZ

Bolt on flares from Porsche?

DavyZ

I always wondered if these Porsche flares would bolt up to a Z body with some minor cutting? Anyone want to buy some and try it out??? :mrgreen:

Davy

Yes..............you :) Seriously, if thats a 944 turbo with boxed guards, boxed fenders if you prefer, they won't fit, the shape is quite different, there was a 944 turbo at the track today so the shape is fresh in the mind.

Might be adaptable the Reaction Research's 940Z kit...

Yes, that kit comes to mind and it doesn't look bad at all IMO. And I seriously doubt that anyone would mistake a 240Z with those flares for a 944, although one could expect it from the truly naiive.

Yes it can work, but it will take a bit a work and trimming. The box flares for 924/944 have the same flow and attachment lines as the old Kaminari z kit. The Porsche 944/924 fit will be rounder in some areas, but it can be done.

Glenn, that's good to know. I'm poor at the moment, but $350 or so for the flares is really not all that bad IMO. Oh yeah, I just need another $3000 or so for the Kinesis wheels :-(

Seriously, if thats a 944 turbo with boxed guards, boxed fenders if you prefer, they won't fit, the shape is quite different, there was a 944 turbo at the track today so the shape is fresh in the mind.
:icon45: You are overruled! I reject your reality and substitute my own!!

I may be dreaming, but I would suspect the fit to be at the very least somewhat similar to the Z. I can hope can't I?

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

wayyyyy different.

the fenders them selfs are pretty flat (do have some roundness to them but very little). they countor differently then the Z's..

i would guess that those fender flares when put against the Z would have about a 2 inch gab between the flares and he body on the middle of the flares.

rear would prob be easier to fit then the front as thats way different.

nowwwwwww on a FC 2nd gen rx7 these suckers would be real close to bolt on.

mike

wayyyyy different...i would guess that those fender flares when put against the Z would have about a 2 inch gab between the flares and he body on the middle of the flares...rear would prob be easier to fit then the front as thats way different.

Hoowah. Maybe that's the reason why the Z guys aren't using them. Still, these are fiberglass and can be easily modifed. They are soooo sexy and agressive looking. I wish I had more time and money!!

nowwwwwww on a FC 2nd gen rx7 these suckers would be real close to bolt on.

mike

Now THAT is very interesting. Might make for one sick widebody V8 RX7. Yeah baby!

Davy

V8 RX7? Honestly, that's just discusting. I have nothing agaist V8s, but the rotary is pretty close to the best power/weight you can get for a motor. There are plenty of guys out there with 400+hp with 13B-REW motors and do you really think you need more in such a little car?

although i must say, that IS one NICE look.

Gollum.. not everybody can work on and own a rotary.

its not for everybody and its been proven that a LS1 V8 is a great swap in a RX7.

its very light and adds better handling to the car.

mike

Like i said, I have nothing against V8s. And I like the fact that there are people like you on3go who are willing to stand up for them from a purely technical standpoint.

And now that I think about i see your point about working on a rotary, and it's a darn fine point if I may say so. I just feel too many people shoot down the rotary, is a motor with tons of potencial, but as you say, only if you know what you're doing with it.

So I conceed, I was a bit harsh. But I still stand by my point, just not with such a negative view on the V8 swap.

I've got nothing against V8's in an RX7, but do you really think that an LS1 is lighter than a 13B? That kinda sounds like what you're saying, and I'm pretty sure you'd be WAY wrong. 13B engine with no accessories weighs 180 lbs according to this aviation site: http://www.rotaryaviation.com/faq.html#weight

i own a high HP FC RX7 Turbo II.. last fine untill i started being stupid and didnt buy the correct cooling parts when i started making more and more power.

blew a seal and now it sits for over 3 years.

one day that sucker will get a LS1 or if im lucky a LS7.

Rotary is a great motor, the idea of them is a GREAT designed engine, but with current emission laws and etc, and lack of funds put in them from the factory they just dont work very well.. you can make them though :)

mike

never said lighter.. i said its very LIGHT. and it is for a V8.

in a RX7 you can get AWESOME weight bias.

im more for rotarys in a RX7 then a V8 but i love both.

its just like a Z.. i think atleast.

mike

Not saying it wouldn't be bitchin and all, but if the weight distribution was 50/50 in the last RX7 as quoted here: http://www.musclecarclub.com/other-cars/imports/mazda-rx7/mazda-rx7.shtml what would be the more awesome weight distribution you'd get from putting in the LS1 with a presumably heavier transmission? Gotta be 53/47 or 54/46 at the best I would imagine. While that's better than a Mustang, it's not as good as an RX7. Of course it would be a lot more powerful than the RX7...