HybridZ

F20C getting cheeper...

Gollum

Guest Battle Pope

They don't hate YOU - they don't really hate anyone. Don't really blame Nissan, because it's mostly the insurance industry and the government's fault.

Skyline - capable of 400+ hp in stock form with minor mods.

200SX(as it's called in the rest of the world) - capable of 300hp with minor mods.

It wouldn't be a fiscally sound decision to release the cars in these configurations because then owners would get RAPED on insurance and either trade them off, sell them, or not buy them at all. When the Z32 twin turbo came out it had some of the highest insurance rates ever seen at the time. The car wasn't extremely expensive, but the insurance costs made it very difficult to own.

Then there's the added mess of re-engineering the car to conform to DOT standards - which for a car that would have high insurance rates and probably chip at the 300ZX market, the whole Skyline family just didn't have much chance to make it here.

I will agree that it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to put the SR20 in the SX, simply because it would have kept the car a viable model here in the US. However, again you have the possibility that the SR20 car would chip into the 300ZX market.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres plenty of great great motors that we got here in the states..

ever thought about the KA24DE????

i dont care what anybody says.. that motor is awesome.

wanna turbo it then throw some forged pistons and maybe rods in it, metal headgasket, some head work and a nice size turbo with the right fuel system and it will throw down some great numbers.... and torque to die for!!!

mike

I don't think I can do much legally to the KA24DE. Man, MORE research to do, thanx guys (catch the sarcasim?).

Well, honestly... I blame CA for most of my problems. In most other states my car would either not need to be smogged or would quickly be approaching that beautiful year of exemption.

Now that i'm looking at it, the KA42DE doesn't seem that bad. At 155HP and 160lbs I could do a budget swap and leave it as it is for a while. 22/28 MPG, not bad either for 2.4 liters. I could get a whole donor car for pretty cheep too. Hmm, ya got me thinking man.

Isn't The Greddy Ka24de Turbo-kit Carb Legal?

Yes they are.

From the Greddy website:

"It takes a tremendous amount of money and time to successfully increase the power of a naturally aspirated engine. With a GReddy bolt-on turbocharger kit you can obtain instant horsepower gains with less time and money while still having the potential for upgrading. Unlike most turbo kits on the market today, GReddy kits are designed specifically for driveability and reliability, as well as performance. Since they are based completely on stock engines, these kits come with all the necessary basics, including fuel enrichment. Many of the kits are covered under CARB E.O. numbers which make them 50-state street legal. If competition use is your goal, there are many GReddy upgrades (intercoolers, blow-off valves, fuel management and boost controllers) to boost the power output even further."

Guest Battle Pope
I have a 240sx friend' date=' and he said that destroking the KA to 2.2l gives you a VERY rev happy engine.

That and the availability of turbo kits and a huge aftermarket would make a sweet setup.

Mario[/quote']

Hmmm...

Destroked KA24 with forged internals + headwork + turbo...

*nut* sounds good to me!

Yes they are.

From the Greddy website:

"It takes a tremendous amount of money and time to successfully increase the power of a naturally aspirated engine. With a GReddy bolt-on turbocharger kit you can obtain instant horsepower gains with less time and money while still having the potential for upgrading. Unlike most turbo kits on the market today' date=' GReddy kits are designed specifically for driveability and reliability, as well as performance. Since they are based completely on stock engines, these kits come with all the necessary basics, including fuel enrichment. Many of the kits are covered under CARB E.O. numbers which make them 50-state street legal. If competition use is your goal, there are many GReddy upgrades (intercoolers, blow-off valves, fuel management and boost controllers) to boost the power output even further."[/quote']

It only says "many of the kits are CARB legal". I'll look it up again, but the places I looked didn't mention a CARB number.

My message to greddy

"

> I was wondering if the bolt on turbo kit for the KA24DE (240SX) was CARB certified, and if so, what it's CARB number is. Also, informaiton on where the number is stamped would be nice, california cops don't care if it's CARB legal if the numbers aren't visible on the product. Part number for the kit is 11520633

>

> Thank you,

> Gollum

"

The message I recieved (and quite quickly. I'm impressed.)

"Thanks for your interest in Greddy performance products. We are still in the process of getting that kit CARB certified. Please stay in touch with your nearest authorized Greddy dealer for information regarding this matter. Thanks for the email."

LOL, i know how that goes. A buddy of mine put a B20 in a del sol, and drove like a mad man for a month. Then one day he says "man, i have yet to get pulled over, and with how i've been driving, it seems that i'll never get pulled over"

Next week he got pulled over commuting to work. Car got impounded... Ouch. It was just plain unlucky too, he was only doing 75.

ya florida is awesome.

when i lived in tampa you would see cars on full slicks driving on the bridge to get a race.. was awesome.

cant wait till im back there.

still say KA24DET would be the shat!

mike

who cares about the legality. No cop is gonna pull you over and ask to see whats under the hood. Most cops dont know thier a** from thier elbow about cars. My buddy has a police scanner and we play drinking game to the stupid stuff cops say over the radio. Most police officers will say "in pursuit of white sport compact" and then get the make and model completly wrong. It's funny. Also, your gonna have to get pulled over for them to be suspicious in the first place, so then you desreve to get sited. I dont know of any "legal engine inspector police" that cruise the local neghborhoods monitoring engine builders of america. 90% of the cars on this site are not street legal. As long as you are smart about when and where you want to drive like a maniac, all is well. There are ways to get around things. So build away.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Obviously You Have Never Been To California.... I Got Pulled Over And Searched Leaving California For A Loud Exhaust. I Told Them I Was A Arizona Resident And They Asked What I Was Doing, I Told Them I Just Purchased The Car And Was Leaving The State To Go Back Home. They Wrote Me A Warning And Said If I Was Caught In This State At A Date Later Than Today I Would Be Fined.

California Has Some Of The Dumbest Emissions And Modification Laws... But It Is A Huge Source Of Income For That State.