HybridZ

RIP R200 in my Z now Im calling JEGS

Guest traub83

Search in drivetrain. The LSD is one of the most often addressed/asked question on this board.

87-89 300ZX turbos best source. Not 88 SE all white, it is viscous.

Mine is a Precision Gear 12mm added to an 85 300ZX 3.54 R200.

Also available through NISMO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you ever need to launch at 3000 rpms unless you have slicks:shock: . My wimpy (300rwhp) car gets launched at ~1600, and then feathered to keep from losing traction. A 3000 rpm launch is like taking a sledge hammer to your gears, and will only result in spinning tires if you don't have slicks.

That being said, my best friends NHRA superstock leaves the line at 4500 on the transbrake, and runs high 1.3 seconds 60' times with the front tires in the air. To do that you will need slicks, and something stronger than an R200.

I use a welded R200 and have no problems with the center sec. I have used spools and welded spider gears on the street but ther is 1 big no no, never pull out of say a side road either right or left and try to nail it, because you will do a nasty U- turn in a God awful hurry. Just for the record I launch our car at about 2200 to 2500 rpm and have put down several 1.38 and 1.37 60' times the R200 is a tuff beast. Jerry @ jnjdragracing.com

So welding it up will be ok for strength then?? then its basically the same as having a spool installed cause both wheels turn the same all the time. how is this for highway driving tho?? if you do any highway driving? and when ya turn does it do a lil chirp and tire hop? Like i hear are common on spooled cars.

J how much power does your setup push out anyways ever have it dyno'ed? just currious how much power your doing compared to my 600hp as im tryin to figure out a good estimate on what my car will do in the 1/4mi, and i know how to drive been drag racing for a few years and when i was young i drove a jr dragster my brothers and dad built for me. so driving/handling/launching wont be a problem. Ohh yah I def will have slicks :-)

The R 180 worked great as a road race/autocross unit.But, would snap halfshafts during a hard drag launch and this was with Hoosier dirt track tires.With slicks and high HP the R200 or R230 is the only was to go if the IRS is what you want to stick with.I ended up selling the R180 with 4.11`s and buying a NISMO LSD and putting it in a R200 with 3.70`s.

With all this talk of gernading R-200s Im like impressed with the stub axle performance.I myself with a 383 and 700R4 say the lords prayer for my stubs every launch..He,He. Ive always have thought this is the definitive weakest link to all Hybrids. Traub check this site also http://www.cachassisworks.com/Home.html If you decide to go that route.

The welded spider gears do fine on the highway, but it will have a little chip when you make a sharp turn. Like if you were stopped and made a hard turn tto the left or right. We have not dyno,ed our set up,but I used a ET calculator and it showed 742hp at the flywheel and 627hp at the rear wheels. We are planning to use a dynojet at our local speed shop, we will post our results.

Jbark thats awsome, I think Ill just go that route and weld my gears together, if i make a real sharp turn i can deal with a chip or two cause i dont plan on doing that daily anyways however highway yah i might have to do sometimes.. but if its good why not go that way!!!

Jbark thats awsome, I think Ill just go that route and weld my gears together, if i make a real sharp turn i can deal with a chip or two cause i dont plan on doing that daily anyways however highway yah i might have to do sometimes.. but if its good why not go that way!!!

You might want to do a search on welded diffs and get a few more opinions. Rumor has it they make the car hard to park and can be flat out dangerous on wet streets.

Yup, welded gears aren't street friendly at all...

Here's the deal, Traub83 you're throwing down a lot of torque and you'll be into swapping out axles before long. I'd to a CV axle swap, and go with a built R200 OR get the Q45 parts and do that swap. The whole system needs to be upgraded... Do a search and you'll see that pretty much anything above 300HP and your axles become the issue over time.

Mike

THat's the way I'm going. The Q45 is similar, but not exactly like the R230 from the 300ZX. You can use either, but the Q45 has a better gear # for most of us... I think the R230s are running deeper in the 3's to low 4's on the gearing.

Ask Tim240Z about his Stubaxle research or contact Ross Corrigan and price his setup...

Mike

my rear is fixed, but i do not plan on it being a full fix, I am looking for a LSD unit with 3.55 gears roughly like the Q45 mentioned above so if ya guys know a hookup let me know... Also check out my strip update as i went earlier tonight after gettin my car on the road again!!! wish I had a cam for ya all..