HybridZ

R200 gear sets numerically lower than 3:36?

zgeezer

I know Nissan produced for their racing program gear sets of 3:1 [3:15?] and I've really looked for them, but I am tiring of the search for this grail. Other than swapping in a Corvette IRS or banging in a Ford live axle, what are my options? I know a 6 speed will do the job, but I'm married to an A/T. Any one know of any aftermarket gear sets, something from another vehicle perhaps.

Any ideas are welcome and, by the way, should you have forgotten, that 3.1 set in the box behind the welder and under that stack of early pin drive minilites belongs to me. Go get it now! Don't ask questions.

g

I know you said "Don't ask questions", but why would you want a 3.10 gear set? Yes it will increase your top end, but my 355sbc with a 700R4 would do 130mph in 3rd gear with a 3.54 rear end. DD said 210 in 4th, but I 130 was fast enough. Are you trying to go more than 210? I am not saying that my car would do 210mph but just that the rear end was not limiting top speed. Maybe you are trying to be slower off the line? Or maybe, you are trying to get better gas mileage out of a daily driver?

This will be a daily driver with a lot of freeway miles: think I-10 between Palm Springs and Phoenix/Sedona. As long as the Z is reliable, quiet, has P/S and A/C my keeper will not check the receipts. At 76-80 mph I'd like to keep the revs as low as possible, gas mileage, wear and tear, and quietness all jump into the equation.

g

If you have a non-overdrive transmission with a torquey engine, a 3.15 (or numerically smaller) gearset is very useful. For example, in my application (454 BBC with 6000rpm redline, Doug Nash 5-speed with 1:1 5th gear, 3.54 R200, 24â€-tall tires) gives a max allowable speed of 121 mph. With the right tires and suspension setup, that will hopefully not be too far from my expected 1/4-mile top speed. So no problems there. But, cruising at 70 mph gives 3470 rpm – and that’s a little too high for comfort. Even a 3.15 is numerically too high, considering that first gear is 3.27:1, and it’s a big block. Something like a 2.7 rear would be even better.