HybridZ

There is a GOD!!!

Mikelly

...And NO, this isn't a religious thread...

So 12 weeks have come, and twelve weeks have gone... FINALLY I've got a C5 Corvette that idles on its own and DOES NOT throw a bunch of codes. I got to drive this car 80 miles this evening, romping on it at times, and it did everything well... No more TCS codes, no 02 sensor codes and no leaks anywhere... this is the first motor that hasn't required something to be resealed or retightened...

Did I mention it is LOUD and goes like stink? Can't wait until the race rings seal up and she is at full compression! :shock:

And now to those who have commented about "corvette" owners who buy a C5 and never get their fingers dirty... :roll:

To date I've replaced:

Stock stereo unit and system with a custom component system (1200 Watts)

Stock shocks and sway bars with Z06 units

Stock Differential Z06 unit

Stock Clutch Hydraulics with Z06 unit

Stock cooling system with Z06 unit

Stock Clutch with Z06 unit

Stock exhaust with LGM full length headers and 3 inch exhaust

Refurbished the Torque tube

Replaced the suspension uprights

Installed an oil cooler

Installed brake ducting and upgraded the brake system's bleeders lines and pads...

and finally installed this new drivetrain, including the new Heads/cam forged shortblock motor. I'll have dyno numbers in another 3-4 weeks.

My hands are dirty, cut and bruised, and I'm tired and glad this one is in the books... So no more wise cracks 'bout those gold chain wearing tools who claim to be "car" guys! :shock:

:lmao:

Mike :cool:

But the burning question on everyone's mind is:

How many coats of Zaino does it have?

:D :biggrin: :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin: :D :biggrin:

Just joking- I felt the same way after getting my motor back together, in the car, getting back to the track after a 4 month hiatus, and running it all day with no issues. When you've worked on something a while and it finally comes together with good results, the feeling is fantastic.

Great job.

John

Gee Mike, I thought it was your fault Mr. T stopped wearing his gold chains, he couldn't compete with you. It takes a tough guy to wear 47 pounds of gold and still work on their C5, take a bow. Think how chewed up your hands would be if all those rings hadn't provided protection. :-D

- Joe

Lewis, I had a Mustang once as well... SHould never have sold it... WOulda made a nice track car! :lmao:

Seriously, after owning something around 18 Zcars since 1987, I like getting into other makes and models. I'm a car guy first. :2thumbs:

I still have a Zcar burried in that garage somewhere, I think! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

MIKELLY

welcome over to the DARK SIDE

(CORVETTE OWNERSHIP)

I own two currently, they may make you crazy but at least corvettes come with a HUGE SUPPORT GROUP and lots of parts suppliers (mostly overpriced)

and of course the fringe benefits of corvette ownership

(may not be family/job approved viewing)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/randymucha/album?.dir=4755

Thanks Guys... It passed the ultimate test of Washington DC traffic this afternoon. I get such a rush driving this thing... And lots of attention...

I've owned this car for almost two years and it just is soooo enjoyable to drive. The cam and heads have added more mechanical sound to the drivetrain, as have the forged bottom end, but nothing I can't deal with. The power hits a little different than the stock setup did, and I know I need the tune cleaned up. Jeff ran it a bit rich for breakin.

This thing is docile, idles in traffic, knocked down 24.7 MPG going into work, and is superbike quick when you mash the pedal and row the gears. I'm very impressed and would actually be surprised if my wheel HP numbers are below 400 on the final cleanup tune. :2thumbs:

Mike

The heads are stock LS1 cores that Dave williams cleaned up, ported and then stuck larger valves in. They are now carrying 2.02/1.57 valves. The cam is the Thunder Racing 224/224 114LSA. I wanted it to be able to pass emissions.

With the other "stuff" and the 10.5:1 cr, We're expecting the all motor combo to be a low 12 second/ high 11 second setup on street tires, and to turn somewhere around 400WHP and about 380-390#ft. of torque. This is a very common combo and most guys with the same parts are turning closer to 430HP, but I'll be pleased if the WHP hits 400! :2thumbs: The head work and how well it was done will be the limiting factor. The other bits are LGM long tube headers, 3 inch custom exhaust (With SLP Cats), LS6 intake with Z06 injectors, Ported Shaner Tbody, CAI and a Custom LS1 edit on the PCM. Bottom end is forged Ross Pistons and Eagle Hbeam rods on the stock crank. Everything was balances internally and blueprinted.

It idles perfect and runs great in rushhour Washington DC traffic. I'm very pleased with this car now...

Mike

Congrats on all your work complete, I know the feeling well.

To bad you dont live here in AZ, nothing makes me and my passengers smile bigger than when I hand a Corvette owner their A$$. Well... Servin a Viper owner is pretty satisfying too.

Congrats, Im waiting for the weather to cool off before I go the the 1/4 mile or the Dyno myself.

Scottie, Pencil me in...

2fittieZ, There is a reason I also have a 76Z with a full cage and fuel cell... power to Weight ratio is key. That being said, I've not lost a single stoplight challenge in this Vette. Then again, Most people hear the exhaust and don't even try. And stop light races mean ZIPP. Timeslips are the only proof that both people agreed to, and raced from point a to point b. My guess is this car will run low 12s, so do the math and you should be able to figure out how you'd stack up... Regardless, you'd probably beat me because I'm a road course guy and not into drag racing anymore at all.

Got a few ground issues to resolve that creeped up yesterday, and maybe a battery to replace (my optima battery is 7 years old and spent most of its life on a shelf), in order to calm the electronics down.

Overall this car is such a blast. The heads/ cam combo make it easy to launch in control and the acceleration is most impressive. Kinda reminds me of my other 383Zcar project. :2thumbs:

Mike