HybridZ

Machine Shop called..issue w/ one cylinder HELP!!

S30TRBO

My machine shop just called, he is in the middle of boring my turbo block. One of the cylinders was a little rusty before bringing it to him and he said that he cannot get that one cylinder cleaned up like the rest.

We were shooting for .40 over bore. My questions are:

*What is the safest and largest or next step over bore that I can go?

*He also mentioned as an option to sleeve them all, should I go that route? He said most of the Honda motors he does when they run turbo and nitrous sleeve the blocks.

*I was going to use Wisco pistons. I know to make them over .40 will be custom and cost more should I consider using another company?

*Would another piston company have these off the shelf?

FYI I am striving for 400+RWHP street car.

Another speed bump thanks for any info...

I would also agree to sleeving one cyl..... Are not all ZX blocks equal or basically the same???[/u'] with the internals and head slightly different....

I thought all the blocks post 1981 are the same. It is just the internals that are different. I could be wrong.

In saying that would I be wrong in using a F54 N/A (if there is such a thing) block. Or if I go the (get another block route) do I NEED to get a TURBO block?

Guest bastaad525

I overbored an L28 block to .060 over, effectively making it the next step up or a 2.9L engine. I ran that black for a long time with no problems before switching over to a turbo motor.

The block does matter, there are slight differences between the earlier 280 blocks and the later F54 blocks (commonly, and sort of incorrectly, called the 'turbo' block). While either block will work, some people do think the differences (F54 block has siamesed cylinders) do make the turbo block a little stronger. But you CAN use either.

I agree with all that has been said. Sleeving one cylinder is fine. And, if you really want to go all out, find an N42 block to begin with. So, if you do decide to go with another block, grab an N42. Otherwise, sleeve the one cylinder and be done with it. All this ultra L28 build-ups has me wanting to do alittle build myself. DAW said in another post we should do a build-off. I think so to. One NA build-off and a turbo/forced induction build-off. Should be fun!

so if they sleeve the one bad cylinder, does the sleeve increase the bore size or will I still be at .40 on all 6?

Then if I am there already do I get the other 5 sleeved? Is it an expensive process?

Luckily he is boring this before ordering the pistons or I would be screwed..

All this ultra L28 build-ups has me wanting to do alittle build myself. DAW said in another post we should do a build-off. I think so to. One NA build-off and a turbo/forced induction build-off. Should be fun!

Don't worry I'll come down and tease you with mine, while your RB project is still progressing... :)

To sleeve the one bore, they will bore the one cylinder over-sized to make room for the sleeve. Then, they will bore the sleeve to match the other bores. Does that make sense?

*I was going to use Wisco pistons. I know to make them over .40 will be custom and cost more should I consider using another company?

All Wiseco for L Series are "custom", so it shouldn't make a difference there. I just went through this one with them....

Oh, if it matters, I agree with what everyone else is saying about the sleeve, especially if you have any work in the block already, it's commonplace and no big thing.

Guest bastaad525

you might want to consider just enlarging the bore on all of them. How big would that one cylinder need to be bored to 'clean it up'? .080 overbore is a lot...

If anyting you might consider going as big as you need IF that will be enough to fix the problem, if only because that will increase displacement and power.

Or is it going to cost much more to overbore them all evenly?