HybridZ

Flat Head Ford in a Z?

SuperKid

I was just thinking about my Auto Tech teacher from last year. He had a 51 Mercury with a Flat Head in it. It only had like 190HP, but it was LOUD and it sounded MEAN. Which remembering that made me think of putting a Flat Head into a Z. Has anyone seen it done? I would love to see some pictures of something like that. I bet it would be cool.

LOL.....Now just suppose where you are all gonna find this 50 year plus flat head ford candidate and how much $ it will set you back to frill it up ?? ...........................with the price of petro maybe a Briggs and Stratton conversion like mounting a rust-free Z body on the running gear of a John Deere and wsssssatch the grass fly ! http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/album?.dir=8223&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Sorry if I'm off base with my first post here, but I need to speak.

Superkid, I say more power to you. I think the general spirit of this forum is to do things that haven't been done often, if at all. If you want to put a Flathead in your Z, go for it. It just really burns me when I see someone post something creative, only to get shot down because soeone else thinks it's stupid, or a waste. Sure, it will probably be more expensive, and take more custom work. But it'll be way unique.

Good call Mobius, that's what we are all about here.

Go for it Super Kid, you'll be the first. It'll help if you or someone you know, knows alot about the engine you are going to put in the car.

This site is all about supporting those who are brave enough to do what they want to their cars, not just follow the herd...

MOO

Yeah, I really like the idea of a flat head Z. I could even get a vanity plate that says, "FLT HED Z" or something like that. Finding a flathead isn't that difficult. There's usually a few on eBay, and there's a rather large hot rod community here so I bet I could find one without much difficulty. Parts for them aren't much more expensive than a normal V8 engine. There are EFI kits for them, blowers for them, even a kit to mount a C-4 transmission to them. I think the only difficult part about it would be fabbing up mounts. Although for fabbing up mounts, I could probably buy one of those plastic reproductions. It would make putting the engine in and out of the car alot easier if I could just pick it up by hand. I'll have to put some thought into it, talk to some people, and see what developes.

My dad ran a Ford V8 60 in his midget back in the late 40s. From his stories, you know how most old men embellish there stories with age, Heads and a cam would about double the 60 stock HP. He cut the bell housing off of the engine with a hacksaw and bolted a file on the end of the crank to machine back of the engine by hand to allow bolting on an in and out box.

I think a flat head belongs on a hot rod not in a Z. But if it is your dream, do it and send us the pictures of the Offenhauser heads and triple down draft carbs.

I don't think cooling would be an issue with today's radiators, back then they didn't use fan shrouds either. Flat head in a z, that would be truly unique. They will make some power especially if you tune it up with a boring bar and a crank grinder! I've seen edelbrock aluminum heads go for around $600 on ebay so that coupled with some other good parts should make a great engine. I think your kind of limited in the bumpstick area, but I may be wrong. The old style carbs were problematic but EFI would be great, they convert the old stacks to efi now I'm told.