HybridZ

'Hot-roding' what's your definition? (bit of a rant)

datsunlover

Wow.. more replys than I thought in one day! :lol: Anyway, yah.. I'm really not that angry anymore, although I'm slightly bothered by the mentality most of these 'guys' have, and I'm sure I have more skill in my little toe than they have in their entire body.. I've started to tink of it like this; most people that buy junk from these shops are gona slap it on their cars and assume they are cool/fast/hot-rodded, BUT, I know my 7 is gona walk all over them anyway. :twisted:

Yah I put this thing together for under $2K, but for me to be 'happy' with it, it's probly gona end up with another $600-$800 dumped into it. (guages, wiring/sensor fixes, better rad, some heavier springs) I do have a short vid of the beast tearing up short strip of highway, complete with the girlfriend riding shotgun and making little scared noises and squeels. :lol: She was 'trying' to hold the camera steady.. it's funny, you can see it jerk evry time it shifts, and the dash gets REAL close when I get on the brakes.. I don't know where/how to post it though.. ??

I think the bolt on crowd is kind of hot rodding, but not the purist. In the old days, we took stock stuff and modified it, ported it, tried this and that although we did have bolt on's, just not many, we just took it farther around the bend in a personal custom way to max the PERFORMANCE of whatever it was, be it bike, car, truck, whatever. We did it without $$$, but alot of thinking and tinkering. A lot like most of you guys on this forum with all your ideas, trials, tribulations and what works, don't work, hauls butt, drags butt.

i dont consider myself to know very much about cars or building cars.

im still young.. will be 22.

ive only build maybe a handful of cool cars, or what i consider cool cars.

when i had my supra i installed all the suspension parts, gauges, electronics, but i didnt install the single turbo kit.. at the time i didnt feel comfy doing that.

knowing what i know now i would do it in a sec just so i can do it, i find it fun.. like legos!

my DSM's i hated working on but i did do everything myself. to rebuilding the short block, to swapping trannys, suspension, turbos, even interior crap.

with Z's i find it fun as even though ive been into these cars the longest out of all the cars ive owned i still only know a SMALL amount of knowledge on these cars.

do i have the L28ET swap down perfect as ive done it a few times now? NOPE..

do i know how to rebuild and mod a L28ET perfect? NOPE but im getting closer each time.

can i weld? yes pretty good to but no where near as good as most, but then again ive only been doing it for a few years.

i LOVE it when i dont know something about Z cars or cars in general.. i find that great because theres more to learn.

do i consider myself a hotroder? naaa.. im not good enough to be called that yet.

i am that guy that will say "lets give it a shot". :)

mike

i am that guy that will say "lets give it a shot". :)

mike

I think you have the heart of a hot rodder if you say, "lets give it a shot". Even if you've never done it before

Even if nobody else has ever done it before

Even if it sounds silly

Even if you'll get no recognition for it

Even if it'll cost you more than it's worth

As long as you have fun doing it and have something to show after it's done.

Hot Rodding = Anything that's boss...

Ok, that was a joke. I just saw american graffiti for the first time. Loved the over-use of the word boss.

Ok, real answer...

Hot rodding >= The customisation of any car with anything but bolt on parts. And whos the ultamite hot rodder that I look up too? Foose. I don't know what it is, but everything he does fits my dream profile for the car he' working on. He makes cars that make me say "I had a dream about that exact car". His work always reflects the style of the origonal car, yet is totally different. People look at his work and say, "it looks stock" and that's the perfect compliment. It's when you take a second look at the car you realise practically nothing stock is left.

I feel your pain though. There are some real idiots out there that call themselves "performance minded" or "hot rodders" when all they are is gorified wrenchers.

You should take the RX7 down to his shop and leave some marks.

Guest tony78_280z

Damn never thought about it like that, Under your descriptions, I guess I'm a hot rodder. I'm always looking for another way to solve the same problem. Sometimes my fabrication and creativity back fires. But what the hell.