HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

I have a complete brake set from a 350z( calipers, lines, rotors) I tried searching if anyone has ever put this setup on an S30. I have seen a couple of members cars with the orange brembo caliper setup, but not the stock oem 350z setup. I know it can be done, but do you guys think it is cheaper to just buy the toyota calipers or have 350z brakes fabricated to install on my 280z? Anyone with any suggestions or opinions please help. And if anyone knows someone who can do this swap in LA area let me know. Thanks in advance.

That might work...that's a lot fab work though.

My front Toyota setup was about $300 but my rear setup is more like $500. The next step up is the Arizona Z car Wilwood setup which costs $1600 (twice as much).

I guess it all boils down to what is easier on my pockets.

Only reason I considered the 350z setup, was because im getting stoptechs on my 350z and would have oems just collecting dust. Sounds like fabricating brackets would be costly. THey are 2 piston 12" rotors. THats about all I know about the 350z calipers.

I might just go with the toyota kit. Bajaracer you been PM'd.

Thanks all for your input.

• 4 weeks later...
All of this brake upgrade talk is fantastic, but I have one question: You speak of Z31 conversions, but I was really fond of the brakes on my Z32. Does anyone know if it is possible to run Z32 stopping power? How about the diff? Sorry, I'm all Z32, and now it's time to learn for my 260Z.

X2

I've already bought the Z32 front brakes, and want to go 5 lug. Anybody done this mod?

• 2 weeks later...

If I go with the S12+8 vented fronts, and the 240SZ rear setup, will these fit under the stock steel rims or do I need custom aftermarket rims of some sort?

The reason I'm asking is because I've got a '72 240Z that was sitting for 20 years and all the brake parts should be changed. I'd like to only do a conversion once, but I don't have the dough to get some nice rims yet and will have to stick with the stock ones for now. Another option could be switching to the 5 lug hub setup and finding some junkyard rims to fit that setup.

Or I can just go with stock replacements for now and spring for the brake conversion when I'm ready to buy some nice wheels. Any suggestions or comments?

Greg

If I go with the S12+8 vented fronts, and the 240SZ rear setup, will these fit under the stock steel rims or do I need custom aftermarket rims of some sort?

The reason I'm asking is because I've got a '72 240Z that was sitting for 20 years and all the brake parts should be changed. I'd like to only do a conversion once, but I don't have the dough to get some nice rims yet and will have to stick with the stock ones for now. Another option could be switching to the 5 lug hub setup and finding some junkyard rims to fit that setup.

Or I can just go with stock replacements for now and spring for the brake conversion when I'm ready to buy some nice wheels. Any suggestions or comments?

Greg

It doesn't sound like a brake upgrade would make much sense for you right now.

There is nothing wrong with the stock Z brakes for street driving, especially on a 240Z. Get some rebuilt calipers, new pads, rotors, etc. and you should be all set.

That setup would need wheel spacers in front and 15" rims in back. Some people have gotten Z31 discs to fit under 14" wheels, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks for the reply. Yah...that is what I was thinking.....I just didn't want to spend the money on stock brakes only to upgrade later. If the upgrade brakes would fit on the stock rims I'd do it though. Realistically though it will probably be a couple years until I get into modding the Z since I have a Volvo 1800S project ahead of it, so its probably best if I just make it driveable for now.

greg

I saw your post and I’m pretty sure the s128 caliper brake kit will fit under stock rims. I’ve got the s128 caliper sitting in front of me rite now and from my measurements I doubt it won't fit. The caliper is only about an inch higher that the top of the rotor witch is 10.7 inches in diameter. So that's about 11.7 inches from the top of the s128 caliper to the bottom of the non vented rotor (when they are assembled with the caliper on the rotor, the way they are when they are on the car). So if your rim is 14 inches then you should have 2.4 inches of space between the inner lip of your rim and the top of the mounted caliper. if you don't understand my description of what I just typed I don't blame you but I could take a picture and post it so you can get a better idea of what I’m trying to say. I know for a fact that the s128 caliper does not stick out past my 280z hub like the s12w caliper does. I’m pretty sure the 240z and 280z hub have the same offset. But maybe someone could confirm this.?

So what my point is is that the s128 caliper will fit with your stock rims. Next weekend or maybe even this week I could install the s128 caliper on my car and try to put on the stock rims to see if it works. I’ll also take pictures for you. If it works then you could buy my stage three kit. Go to this link to read about it.

I wanted to go with the vented rotors when I do this conversion. For now, I decided to go with stock since I need it up and driving quickly so I can fix another car that is falling apart and is my only transportation right now, and I don't have the money to get any wheels. I am curious if the S128 calipers will fit under the stock rims anyway, and I'm sure other people might want to know too so if you get a chance to see if that is indeed the case, I'm sure others besides me would like to know. I'll take a look at your brake upgrade ideas on the link you posted.

greg

Howdy,

For those of you that are thinking of using the 82-83 200SX rear calipers:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=578333&postcount=25

Rock Auto has the Beck Arnley rebuilt versions on closeout for $42 a piece with no core charge.

1982 NISSAN 200SX

BECK/ARNLEY 0760531 (076-0531) $ 41.79

BECK/ARNLEY 0760532 (076-0532) $ 41.79

I am using these with:

1) The Maxima bracket (part number 44155-04S10)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=633870&postcount=93

2) The caliper support part of the 1984-86 300ZX rear caliper

3) 1984 non turbo rear rotors turned down to 284mm

http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=578445&postcount=31

I'm doing this get rear disks (cheaply) for a street car that will clear a CV conversion.

Just my $0.02

Jay

I did the rear disc brake conversion today, and put new stock parts on the front for now. The stock 240Z rims do not fit over the rear brake setup. These are the 14 inch rims with the ugly press in hubcaps that the Z came with originally, and they hit the caliper. Too bad I don't have your 260Z rims! So anyone in the Portland, Oregon area have some cheap 15 inch rims that will fit a Z? I need to find some ASAP. I don't care about condition as long as they will fit the 240Z 4 bolt pattern and the tires mounted to them will hold air. (i.e. wheel not bent)

Greg

I did the rear disc brake conversion today, and put new stock parts on the front for now. The stock 240Z rims do not fit over the rear brake setup. These are the 14 inch rims with the ugly press in hubcaps that the Z came with originally, and they hit the caliper. Too bad I don't have your 260Z rims! So anyone in the Portland, Oregon area have some cheap 15 inch rims that will fit a Z? I need to find some ASAP. I don't care about condition as long as they will fit the 240Z 4 bolt pattern and the tires mounted to them will hold air. (i.e. wheel not bent)

Greg

Those rims that he posted are not 260Z rims. They're old aftermarket wheels.

1981 turbo snowflakes fit over the Modern Motorsports setup. Those can be had for cheap.