HybridZ

Hybrid Z History?

David K

When did the Hybrid Z website come about?

Who started it?

Who were the first guys here?

Who was the first to finish a documented conversion on this website?

Im just curious as i cant find any info anywhere. Maybe im not looking in the right places.

Hope this thread strikes up some thoughts/memories for some of you guys!

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

I am interested in the same thing. I am just starting on my Velo Rossa Project and have already found a ton of knowledge here.

Also - who is hosting this? I don't see any advertising and would like to make a donation to help the cause.

Thanks! 2thumbs.gif

Teo

V8Zcars.com was Owen's site originally... There were about 30 of us and tons of data that folks wanted to post... So Dan Porter offered to take it over... Dan asked PeteP and Myself to help him run things and we came up with what we thought the site should represent... So you have us to blame. Owen IS the Godfather of HybridZ.ORG!

Mike

I was there early on, but I lurked for the longest time---too bad since I would have made some great friends even earlier! 2thumbs.gif

Locutus is doing the day to day maintenance of the site, I believe. As far as sending a donation (and we have had financial needs in the past) that is a great idea and may on the forum have sent $$$ to keep the site up and running--it's not cheap!!!! I know the money came from SuperDan, Pete, and Mike mostly (if I'm not mistaken) and then others gave generously. Where do we send moolah now, Mike? To SuperDan? Might want to let us know with a Paypal account or something...

Davy

I started out at like twinturbo.net and spam & flame wars intruded, then I was probably one of the very few that started posting on zcar.com before it got it's name. I asked 240turbo so much information about turbo's it was insane, then after all the free info I finally bought his old turbo. It began to grow and went through some pains as well, with bored ppl wasting bandwidth. It's still pretty decent.

I must say that I really love the control here, and seen so much design and engineering go through this board. There is enough room for a good joke & humour, but I don't have to sift through garbage to find something.

It's like staying at someones house with alot of hospitality, all are welcome to stay if they respect the rules.

Jeesh,

I still feel like a "new comer" around here.

Back in 1994, my friend turned me onto the IZCC mailing list (Internet Z Car Club). I think that was the first place I saw Pete Paraska's name.

After I graduated college, I left the IZCC for it's lack of good technical V8Z information. Doug Miller (IdahoZ Car on this site... I think) was the only person I ever paid any attention to. I later stumbled onto this site from an internet search. Life has never been the same since. Anyone else remember the day this site actually registered the name "HybridZ.org" and ditched the old IP address site?

-Andy

Superdan has had a busy year... He bought a new house in Mid-June, and is now planning on getting married. Sad to say, but Dan did NOT forward his new number to either Pete or myself. Some of the features on HybridZ, Like the search function, have been busted for quite some time... Dan is nowhere to be found and if anyone has contact info, I NEED IT!!! I know Dan is VERY consumed in his new life and preperations to become married in the near future... However, HybridZ needs some guidance beyond what Pete and I can provide without having direct access to funds, account info, and sources for the maintenance of the site.

Without that info, HybridZ is starting to grow weeds, and become yet another run down tenament on the block of worl wide websites...

Mike Kelly

Admin at LARGE!

Say it isn't so! weird.gif

I do remember when HybridZ became an .org and did scavenge info from here but, I was also a zcar.com fan at the time until it hit a turn it was going to fast for or something. I don't see me ever leaving here until I either can't go out into the garage and work on the long lost cousin of Pete's Z(btw, going on 7 years, but I could always drive it until now :mad: ) or retire and restore old muscle cars because theres more money in it, in the states atleast. But then again, I'm sure I'll always have atleast one Z project lurking in the background, waiting for parts that are nolonger available. Got to love it!

I too started at zcar.com.

Then I recall zdriver starting with Kyle Jester.. my car was the first car pic on the site, and was used as part of his logo for a while.. (also the first z car of the month) hehehe "plug" hehe

I remember the heated flame wars at zcar.com and the V8 guys leaving.

I was in on all the forums pretty early on.. my craving for z info.. well ok .. a bit of bragging too... hehe

I have older lists of z sites that I have been too.. over 450 sites.. I printed off hundreds of pages of info from these sites..

I have 3" three ring binders full.. made Dennis' "handy dandy z fact sheet" Jealous hehehe Just kidding Dennis if you visit this site.. hehehe I have that fact sheet also.. 60 some odd pages...

I still visit and post at zcar.com zdriver, and here.. Hybridz is my new home where I spend most of my time now.. The forums are much more technical and friendly.. (seen the water injection thread at zcar.com??? ) yeessshhh

I probably spend 5-10 hrs a week at these sites..I've been cutting back. I was doing almost 60hrs a week for a couple of months just devouring all the data I could find. I'm not as sick anymore.. Learned so much it is not even funny now.. Z car.com can seem pretty newbie like these days.

Sorry I can't put any dates to these.. Except to say I've been surfing since 94-95 sometime.. zcar.com was VERY young.. used to have daily lunch hour chats using the forums... lol good days they were. 10+ people sometimes.. met a lot of z people that way.. Used to hang at zdriver chat for a long time.. I don't have much time these days for that.

This site rocks guys. Don't give up! I never will. Give me Z or give me death..

flamedevil.gif

Ok I'll shut up.. I'm rambling..

I'm outa here.

2thumbs.gif

I remember the days of the IZCC mail list (before the IZCC was even formed) being about a dozen people, not thousands.

I remember Zcar.com, the V8Z wars, Ron Stoy. Ron Stoy and the non-moderation that followed are the reasons I left Zcar.com. Haven't been back hardly at all. Maybe once every 4-6 months. The signal to noise for the topics that interest me is so low as to be almost immeasurable.

I remember Owen's site.

I remember when HybridZ was a numeric IP address, and when Dan registered the domain.

I remember Dan asking me to write the mission statement - I was very flattered.

I remember when a member to remain unnamed footed the bill for a years running of HybridZ. Hmm - we may be coming up on that anniversary?

Man, it's been a great ride! Thanks Owen, Dan, everybody for a great site!

I forgot how I stumbled across this site, but I'm glad I found it - rational people and intelligent discussion.

I do post on zcar.com from time-to-time (still a great general purpose Z site) and I try to do it in a thoughful manner, but I still tend to piss people off over there. Mostly the guys who are convinced [insert odd modificaiton here] is the only way to go.