HybridZ

New member saying hello...

Guest uflnuceng

Guest uflnuceng

I'm pretty much going to be lurking for awhile till I either get a bigger garage or sell one of my current cars. I have gotten the Chevy V8 transplant bug bad after reading the RX7 Ford V8 in the recent Grassroots motorsports...

The older gen RX7's aren't my bag though... so I started searching... Porches seem to like the swaps... but thats still a big initial investment... then I came across a Datsun V8Z... holy sexiness on a stick!! I would really like to do one of these swaps after I finish restoring my recently purchased 1988 BMW M6... but I think that project is going to take me about a year and a half including rebuild of drivetrain and complete paint job and rust treatment, as well as cleaning up the interior (anyone else around here hate interior work? :ugg: ). I just switched over to the M6 after I decided that the M30 (big inline six) swap I did into my little E30 3-series (1990) was at a turning point... but man was it fun cramming that big thing in there. Kinda like my honeymoon except more enjoyable.

So... I'll be lurking around... trying to find a good 240Z near by... planning just the right time when I can sneak it home without the wife realizing.

The main motivation for this swap is that my brother-in-law's friend is giving me a 350 chevy small block for nothing so I can practice rebuilding an engine. They are chevy guys and are very-very-anti german cars... or any foreign car for that matter... what do you think they will say when I cram this puppy into a Datsun? :rockon:

Are there places that sell good interior parts, exterior kits, etc.?

They are chevy guys and are very-very-anti german cars... or any foreign car for that matter... what do you think they will say when I cram this puppy into a Datsun?

ANY purist will spit on you for 'adulterating' their brand favorite, period. I'm a Chevy guy, but I'm surely NOT a purist. I like fast whatever that may be. I happen to like old Chevys and newer Chevy powerplants, that's about it.

Welcome to the forum and search a bit---yes, there are plenty of places that sell Datsun items, whatever you are looking for. Just keep reading and reading---you'll find everything you're searching for here.

Davy

Having attended a bunch of car shows with my car I can tell you that the Chevy guys are always amazed and intrigued by the V8 in the little Datsun. They'll spend 20 minutes with me looking at the fit of the engine and asking questions. The Datsun/Nissan guys, however, are another story. That's where the 'purist' definition comes in. Fortunately I have a very clean conversion so they have to grudgingly admit that mine may be ok - but all the other conversions are crap!

You say it might take a year and a half to complete the M6. Well, if you stick around here during the rest of the project i'm sure you won't run out of things to learn in a year and a half. I'm continuously amazed at the overall high qualiy of the information on this site.

And your chevy friends might not look so harshly about the Z project once they realise how dang fast the car is ;)

I can seem like a purist at times, about certain things. But I can appreciate anything fast, even if the car doesn't have my first pick of engine for the project. I've learned that everyone has thier own taste and the purist only wants other people to have thier taste. The world would be boring if such were true.