HybridZ

Power Steering

ProjectSR20

Why would you want power steering? I guess if you are going to parallel park a lot, it would be helpful. However the feel is going to be better without it when driving or racing. Also, the front end on the car does get a lot lighter with the lighter engine that is mounted more toward the rear. Steering is not a problem.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

The quicker the ratio of the rack the more force is needed to rotate it (so power steering is justified).... This will make the car extremely twitchy with a fast ratio rack and power steering.

I installed the miata rack in, and it did take me a while to get used to the quick steering. but you get used to it . But on an autocross course the powersteering does come in handy. You could almost drive it with one hand, it's just 2 1/2 turns lock to lock.

I'd never want power steering in a car that light going anything over 110 MPH. No thanks. I've driven nonpower steering cars well into the 140-160 range and i've never taken a power steering car over 110, it just gets too light for me.

I have a stock 260z steering rack with the quick steer knuckles 2.5? lock to lock and 225/50 r15 es 100 tires. And yes the steering is hard but not unbearable. Also I have an aftermarket smaller steering wheel. If I was going to do lots of solo II then maybe but for street driving or road racing I don't see a need.

I used to own an '89 Civic SI that was built up pretty good. It had no power steering and there was never any problem with it turning. After I got my new wheels and tires it felt like I did have it. I am sure the Z is a lot lighter. So I think you guys are right that it would not be unbearable. Now that I think about it I remember hitting 130 and even with no power steering and more weight than the Z it felt like if I touched the wheel I would fly off the road. Maybe I should just scratch this idea...

• 3 months later...

If you're wanting the ease of turing @ low speeds, but not when you're driving hard, there is another option. the SW20 MR2 uses an electric power steering pump that you could run w/ the speed sensor or have a switch for daily driving and spirited driving.

Of course, this means that you'll need a PS rack anyway, but just throwing different options out there for ppl that actually have heavy engines up front. Not so much w/ the SR crowd.

• 6 years later...

I did a mustang II steering rack install in my 260z 2+2. If your interested I can post pics, dimensions, etc...

Yes please. I would love that. Im looking to do this soon. Ive narrowed it down to a miata rack or a subie rack only because guys have posted the needed parts. I would consider the mustang rac kalso if its been straightened out.