HybridZ

Ultimate SR 240Z suspension?

So, just wanted to hear your thoughts and input.

The details...It's a '72 with an Redtop SR20. Packing the normal bolt ons, still has factory T25. ( Will upgrade to BBT28 ) She is making 200 whp an 7psi, 250 at 14psi. Once the turbine, injector and tune is upgraded I expect about 310whp. I doubt I'll ever want more.

So this car is really going to be multi purpose. There's tons of events I will be going to. Gotta love the bay area's events. I love to drive and just want to have fun, while remaining competetive and furthering myself as a driver. Events: SCCA Auto X, Rally X, Track days , hill climbs and the occasional Drift day....And of course, aggressive street/canyon/ mtn fun.

Please feel free to offer some constructive advice on suspension parts selection, and set up. I am really needing to know what spring rate / shock will work best. Is there short stroke struts available for S3O.

And what control arms, camber plates are recomended. And why? Cost?

Lots of questions. Thanks guys.

Searched. Maybe I'll try a different type of search. I just thought maybe some of the members that frequent the tracks and are somewhat of suspension set up gurus would have some insight. After all the with the engine swap, chassis/sus tuning has new variables. I was thinking 200lbs F, 250lbs R. What do you think about that?

Guest JAMIE T

I think what he was trying to say is...

:beatdeadh

Really, this sort of thing is discussed on a weekly basis. Basically all of the brands of coil-overs, camber plates, control arms, etc... do the same thing. It's mostly a matter of calling one of them and getting a recommendation for springs. They are selling you the kit, they can tell you what will work. Ground Control, Modern Motorsports, Beta Motorsports, and Arizona Z-Car would be the best place to start.

id start out with the diff.. perferably run a 1.5 way. I think the car will need alot of fabrication as far as suspension arms etc..

Look into weld in camber plates for front and rear. arizonazcar.com is your best bet. Just run that kind of coilover sleeve kit, and Tokico Illumina shocks. As far as spring rate, your going to have to play around wiht those.

CHassis stiffening fabrication should apply as well, but might interfere in what kind of classes you may run..

Guest JAMIE T

Opinions not needed. Simply call any of vendors I listed and ask them.

Having said that, I am running 225lb/front(10"), and 300lb/rear(8") in my rb26 powered 240Z. I want the stiffness in the rear to slow down the "squat" on hard take-offs, i.e., drag slicks.

The SR in consderably lighter. 200, or even 175lb would be about right. 250 on the rear is ok.

Please feel free to offer some constructive advice on suspension parts selection' date=' and set up. I am really needing to know what spring rate / shock will work best. Is there short stroke struts available for S3O.

And what control arms, camber plates are recomended. And why? Cost?

[/quote']

Please try using the search function. As these guys have pointed out this stuff has been discussed here ad nauseum and I don't think we need another spring rate/shock thread to go with the other 40. Locked.

Okay. Okay. So I guess maybe some of you don't realize I'm asking for advice on spring rates for a not so common engine swap,that has effect on weight distribution and such. The search function is great. It just doesn't really help with the specific questions I had. I mean, calling vendors is of course an option. But if I can't ask the friendly folks on this forum for their advice, then why are we all here? Isn't this site about sharing information?

Point taken.

So, I guess I'm going to try maybe 150 F, 200R or 200F, 250 R...With Illuminas For starters.

I'll eventually try the weld in camber plates, and adjustable arms.

Coilovers, Bushing kit, LSD already going in. Cage, and chassis bracing will probably be the first thing I do.

Thanks to all that offered their opinions. HYPERTEK, are you on Ziptied too?

Noone is being unhelpful, the 'stiffen the body up' comment was serious for what you say you want to do with the car. The stiffer the body the heavier the springs you can use the better the potential handling, been there done that.

And you did mention 'ultimate suspension'.

Umm if you read all the posts you will find two people recommending what spring rating you need. Jamie T and Cal Poly both recommended 200-175lbs springs from two people in which I respect their opinion. And do everything else that all the other people have said as well ie cages, coilovers, sway bars, etc. like everyone is telling you this is a question that has been answered many times before. They answered both your general and specific questions and yet you continue to say that they aren't, just make sure you closely read what they are saying.

Tyson