HybridZ

Just might be HOPE!!! For us Z32 owners wanting swaps

Guest BoostedZ350

Guest BoostedZ350

After searching through the website and finding nothing that helps a person with a Z32 chevy swap. I finally had to break down, dig deep and take my ride to a local shop to have my swap custom fabricated with the custom price to go along with it. I am having about 6 sets of engine/trans/ driveshafts made for the 350 SB swap into the 90-96 Z32. I got TONS of help from the local shop. So I figured I would share the wealth with my fellow Z hybrid members. If your interested let me know and I will try to keep interested parties updated on progress.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BoostedZ350
Just a question...

Why a SBC?

Just got off the phone with the guy from the shop. he says that bolting points will not be a problem for any type motor within the same dimensions of the 350 base. IE 350, Lt-1, LS-1, LS-2, 305, 327, 400 and so on.

...So I have to ask... 9Kredline, the original poster posted this in a CHEVY V8 Section. My guess is the guy has already moved beyond the point of choosing a powerplant, since he has gone this far. So my question to you is WHAT would make you ask THIS question NOW? Just curious.

Mike

Guest BoostedZ350
...So I have to ask... 9Kredline' date=' the original poster posted this in a CHEVY V8 Section. My guess is the guy has already moved beyond the point of choosing a powerplant, since he has gone this far. So my question to you is WHAT would make you ask THIS question NOW? Just curious.

Mike[/quote']

Mike I must say, such a good way of explaining this for me...thank you very much.

...So I have to ask... 9Kredline' date=' the original poster posted this in a CHEVY V8 Section. My guess is the guy has already moved beyond the point of choosing a powerplant, since he has gone this far. So my question to you is WHAT would make you ask THIS question NOW? Just curious.

Mike[/quote']

Don't be an ***, you know good and well where the question was pointed.

Why not the more modern, fuel economic, and efficient LS platform?

This isn't a 240/260/280Z. This is a ~3500lb modern GT. In my personal opinion it's taking a large step backwards, but it's his money and his choice to make.

Maybe I'm using the car for just track use? I mean a TT 350 SBC in a gutted Z32 frame isn't exactually a step backwards now is it?

One can only draw conclussions from the information that has been presented.

Your posts began with asking if there was a kit, and then several posts saying you would buy one. Now you post that you have a shop producing them.

You've never stated purpose, or goals.

I'm currently building a TT LS1 in a Z32 with a pair of intercooled GN turbos. I'm past where you are. I have the first hand knowledge and experience that I'm more than happy to share, but not with an attitude like that.

Don't take things so offensively.

Guest BoostedZ350
One can only draw conclussions from the information that has been presented.

Your posts began with asking if there was a kit' date=' and then several posts saying you would buy one. Now you post that you have a shop producing them.

You've never stated purpose, or goals.

I'm currently building a TT LS1 in a Z32 with a pair of intercooled GN turbos. I'm past where you are. I have the first hand knowledge and experience that I'm more than happy to share, but not with an attitude like that.

Don't take things so offensively.[/quote']

I never took anything the wrong way, I belive you are. Sounds as if you have a monster your building there on your hands. Mind sharing some pictures with me? I would love to see your setup. Hell I would even be willing to buy brackets from you since your already that far ahead of the game. Whatda say? You wanna come off them brackets? Just to clear it up on my goals with the Z32, I have made my mind up to only use this car as a weekend track car. 1/4 only that is, I have purchased a 93 FD that I plan on having an LS-1 swapped into along with the full TT kit from Hinson Supercars. The owner of NXR had the car and package sitting there in his shop and I couldn't pass up the price on the whole project.

Mind sharing some pictures with me? I would love to see your setup. Hell I would even be willing to buy brackets from you since your already that far ahead of the game. Whatda say? You wanna come off them brackets?

My project log and camera is back in the garage in ATL. It's a project I have only the time I take as leave to work on, but it has progressed very swiftly with pre-planning, research, and having the parts ordered and on hand before arrival.

You already have a shop producing your mounts, wouldn't be cost or time effective for you to wait for me to get back to my equipment to produce one set.

However, once you are mounted, I can answer pretty much any question you're going to have concerning accessories, wiring, turbo configuration and piping.

Guest BoostedZ350
My project log and camera is back in the garage in ATL. It's a project I have only the time I take as leave to work on' date=' but it has progressed very swiftly with pre-planning, research, and having the parts ordered and on hand before arrival.

You already have a shop producing your mounts, wouldn't be cost or time effective for you to wait for me to get back to my equipment to produce one set.

However, once you are mounted, I can answer pretty much any question you're going to have concerning accessories, wiring, turbo configuration and piping.[/quote']

NAH, you could actually save me money!! NXR is a high priced shop, being I just dropped the money on the Fd/LS-1 car they had in the bays. I have the 300Z on the back burner. I promise that you will be cheaper than NXR is on the brackets/hardware. I don't mind paying you for the brackets along with the added charge for design and research as well. Just please be nice lol.

• Administrators
Cool deal, will keep you up to date as well man. hey is that 75 Z you got have a carbed 350 with a 6-speed mated to it? Or is it an LT-1?

Yes, my 350 powered ’75 started out as carbed motor I personal built and did all the machine work myself and when the powertrain was sold it had the Edelbrock Pro-Flo RPM EFI. Tranny was a World Class T-5 from a ’91 Trans Am.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is this 93 FD/LS-1 combo you mentioned and who is NXR?

Are you now considering putting the traditional SBC Z-32 conversion on hold?

TIA,

Guest BoostedZ350
Yes' date=' my 350 powered ’75 started out as carbed motor I personal built and did all the machine work myself and when the powertrain was sold it had the Edelbrock Pro-Flo RPM EFI. Tranny was a World Class T-5 from a ’91 Trans Am.

Please excuse my ignorance, what is this 93 FD/LS-1 combo you mentioned and who is NXR?

Are you now considering putting the traditional SBC Z-32 conversion on hold?

TIA,[/quote']

The FD/LS-1 combo I bought was a shop car purchased for NXR's use. I bought it cause I am getting one hell of a deal on it compared to the cost of me having to put the porject together parts and labor wise myself. I am not putting the fabrication of the mounts on hold. I am just putting the installation of the entire project on hold. Due to having to come out of pocket on two projects at one time I am deciding to finish the Fd project first since a heads/cam/Twin turbo LS-1 swapped FD will kill most built cars on the road. NXR Performance is a shop close to me that is doing all of the work I need done. They are who I bought the FD project from. They have a Viper in the garage now being worked on and a couple SC Cobra's. One getting a Kenn Bell SC and the other getting pulley/headers/exhaust and jet computer upgrade. they seem to know their ****. I think some of the members here have had some bad experiences with them, but they have done everything they said they would with me so far, except for their prices...they are HIGH!!!

• Administrators

This FD, what ever thingy, sounds interesting but you still didn't explain or define the abbreviation FD? What is an FD? I thought I was fairly savvy with all the Nissan monikers but FD doesn’t ring any bells here.

9Kredline, You hit your head or something? I wasn't being an AZZ! The guy posted what he was doing. He made a decision and went in a direction... Your tone is noted and I'd check it at the door before posting again... If he had posted "I'm going to the shop to get some mounts made for a motor, What motor should I get them for?", then your comment would have been appropriate. He didn't ask that, did he?

Do I personally think he should do the LS1? Sure, I'm a huge fan of the platform. Did he ask that in THIS thread? NO, he did not. Based on his past posts, one should presume that he MADE A FRIGGIN' decission and was offering it up to others to get on the bandwagon as well...

Leave the attitude on that side of the keyboard or don't play.

Mike

Isn't the LS1 considered an SBC ???????

As Mike said, check the attitude at the door.

SBC is generic, it covers a whole range of engines including the LS1. SBC = Small Block Chevy.

Folks here use everything from 305's through LT1's and LS1's.

It's nice you're willing to share your build info, and even help with parts, that's what this forum is all about. Just remember people come here with different ideas and goals, from different backgrounds, from seasoned experts to newbies. They may never have thought about what you have, or may have tossed that idea out in favor of something different.

- Joe