HybridZ

Just might be HOPE!!! For us Z32 owners wanting swaps

Guest BoostedZ350

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His first post was poorly phrased, as was his followup edit. the LS1, LT1, and gen1 SBC are all "Small Block Chevy" engines. Regardless of what his true intent may have been, his question is written in a way to ask, "Why are you using such an antiquated engine?" If that wasn't his intention, he should have asked, "why are you not using an LS1 or LT1?"

9Kredline' date=' You hit your head or something? I wasn't being an AZZ! The guy posted what he was doing. He made a decision and went in a direction... Your tone is noted and I'd check it at the door before posting again... If he had posted "I'm going to the shop to get some mounts made for a motor, What motor should I get them for?", then your comment would have been appropriate. He didn't ask that, did he?

Do I personally think he should do the LS1? Sure, I'm a huge fan of the platform. Did he ask that in THIS thread? NO, he did not. Based on his past posts, one should presume that he MADE A FRIGGIN' decission and was offering it up to others to get on the bandwagon as well...

Leave the attitude on that side of the keyboard or don't play.

Mike[/quote']

You don't need capslock to make an argument for you. I don't have an attitude about anything. If you'll read up, I offered him first hand experience once he's done mounting. I dropped the argument then, there was no need for your follow up this late in the game to that specific post.

I'm not going to play the Moderator/post count game and get pushed into a corner when nothing I've posted has been wrong or derogatory and I have the knowledge to make a contribution to this thread and his application. The only other posting members with specific knowledge on BoostedZ350's application are KrazeeZX and Adlashwa, but they're rather sparse.

VRJoe: The LS1 is a 347ci GenIII motor, not a SBC. Don't be a toady.

To wrap up everyone's misconception, I find no fault in the SBC platform. It's a proven powerhouse. I may have chose a poor way of wording it, but I was simply asking why not using a more modern, fuel-injected motor for a very modern and fuel-injected Z32. That's it. He said it's because it's what he wanted, and that sufficed! The condescending tone I received, afterwards, was rather unjustified, regardless of interpretation.

If there are any further questions about this particular type of swap, please feel free to PM me.

RPMS hit it on the head... Not trying to start a "tiff" here, but the tone isn't what we're about here on this site... As to why I didn't get to it sooner, I've been a little busy as of late... As to my use of caps locks... I use them to make a point.

I'll keep a better eye on your posts from now on 9K, not to worry! :wink:

Mike

RPMS hit it on the head... Not trying to start a "tiff" here' date=' but the tone isn't what we're about here on this site... As to why I didn't get to it sooner, I've been a little busy as of late... As to my use of caps locks... I use them to make a point.

I'll keep a better eye on your posts from now on 9K, not to worry! :wink:

Mike[/quote']

There wasn't/isn't a tiff, unless you have one with myself. As to watching my posts, not sure where you're heading with that one.

Edit:

Also, as a moderator, if you feel there is an issue between yourself and a member it should be moved to PM. You then alleviate the issue of bystanders whose comments simply confuse and add fuel to an argument and, more ofted than not, create new ones and destroy threads.

So if you feel you have an issue with me, let us take it to PMs.

9kredline - For your information the LS1 is still considered a small block, as is the LT1. If you think SBC is a reference to the style of the engine you've got it wrong, it refers to the displacement of the engine. The LS1 as you noted is 347ci. It in no way refers to the type of fuel system either. You can add fuel injection to a 1968 350 or even a carb to LS1.

As to being a "toady" we try to tactfully help people here, when someone has a wrong impression we try to educate them. It doesn't matter what you think, the LS1 is considered a Small Block. Check the attitude at the door.

9kredline - For your information the LS1 is still considered a small block, as is the LT1. If you think SBC is a reference to the style of the engine you've got it wrong, it refers to the displacement of the engine.

This was the only part of your post with anything relevent, and it is incorrect.

"In February of 1993, a stunning decision, arising from this GMPD "soul searching," was to discontinue Gen III as a Small-Block and do it as a totally new, medium-displacement, V8. "

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1740898&postcount=20

So a 347cid LS1 is a "medium-displacement, V8" but a 350cid Gen I is a "SBC". But a 305cid is also considered a SBC. So what are the LS1 guys supposed to say..."I have a medium displacement LS1 in my car?" I think the LS1's are SBC's with new technology.

Guy

I have seen a couple of LS1 installs in Z32's. It fits very well. the stock VG30DE motors are tall with the 4 cams, so there is actually some knuckle room between the engine and the body of the car.

Putting a Chevy motor in it should be cake with the removable crossmember of the Z32. Just fab up from the OEM piece.

So a 347cid LS1 is a "medium-displacement' date=' V8" but a 350cid Gen I is a "SBC". But a 305cid is also considered a SBC. So what are the LS1 guys supposed to say..."I have a medium displacement LS1 in my car?" I think the LS1's are SBC's with new technology.

Guy[/quote']

It's not the same motor, if you'll take the time to read.

"The only major feature it has in common with the Small-Block is a bore center-to-center measurement of 4.40 inches and we believe that exists for marketing reasons rather than an engineering case."

This thread is going to have to be split off into "LSX vs SBC" if this keeps up. lol Just read the history, guys, like the original link text to it on LS1tech.com states:

All you EVER wanted to know on the LS1's inception

Im not saying that the old SBC has anything in common with the LS1 but I bet most guys still consider the LS1 a SBC. Thats all Im saying, whether GM wants to call it a SBC is really irrelivent because if the public calls it a SBC then its a SBC.

Guy

Im not saying that the old SBC has anything in common with the LS1 but I bet most guys still consider the LS1 a SBC. Thats all Im saying' date=' whether GM wants to call it a SBC is really irrelivent because if the public calls it a SBC then its a SBC.

Guy[/quote']

The handful of guys in this thread are the only ones I've ever heard it refer to it as a SBC. It's just an LSx. New motor, new name. Just because it has 8 cylinders and about the same displacement doesn't make it the same motor.

People don't call the 4.6L Ford cammers SBFs because it's only a third of a litre less than the 5.0s. Entirely new motor. Same deal with the LS1/2/6/7.

Yeah I would agree with that. No one calls it a SBC, just an LS1. But doesnt SBC refer to the basic dimensions of a block? It is very close in size to the old SBC. GM 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 383, 396, 400, 406's are all considered SBC's. I dont think the SBC refers the actual design of the engine but more to the actual size of the block itself. Thats why I personally consider it a SBC with new technology.

Maybe we should take a poll to get a realistic idea of what people really think?

Guy

Yeah I would agree with that. No one calls it a SBC' date=' just an LS1. But doesnt SBC refer to the basic dimensions of a block? It is very close in size to the old SBC. GM 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, 383, 396, 400, 406's are all considered SBC's. I dont think the SBC refers the actual design of the engine but more to the actual size of the block itself. Thats why I personally consider it a SBC with new technology.

Maybe we should take a poll to get a realistic idea of what people really think?

Guy[/quote']

You may be right on the dimensions as far as the name SBC goes. With the copius amount of displacements I'm sure it would get tiresome having a unique name for all of them.

Poll would be interesting, though... Hmm...

• Administrators

I will agree that the Gen III power plants will most likely be, and should be called by its engine code or Generation, i.e. Gen III, LQ-4, LS-1 etc, especially on the forum as it makes it easier to describe exactly what engine you are talking about without being to vague, but the term “Small block Chevy” is a very generic broad encompassing description of a motor type/size. LS-1 is an engine code. LT 1, L-98, ZL-1, L-88, ZL-1, L-78, LS-7, are also engine codes, but all those engine codes are either a “Small Block” or a “Big Block”, not an broad encompassing descriptor. Now we do, and should, continue to use the engine code as a means to describe a particular power plant as that 3 digit code is a much abbreviated descriptor for a long list of design parameters and optional parts.

Yes, the LS-1 is a completely different engine from pretty much every aspect, no one disputes that fact, but, YES, it is also a Small Block Chevrolet power plant, just as its brethren the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 are all smaller in physical size and shape than the Big Blocks, which in their current production run are also much different than their predecessors, but they are all still under the descriptor Big and Small Block Chevrolet.

Can we put this dead horse to rest now?

I've spoken offline with 9Kredline.... Although there is a little interesting info finally coming out of this thread, I still think it is off topic of the original post... You guys want to start another discussion topic on this subject in a new thread?

Mike

You may be right on the dimensions as far as the name SBC goes. With the copius amount of displacements I'm sure it would get tiresome having a unique name for all of them.

QUOTE]

You mean like trying to remember the RB26-DETT and 2jz TT, or maybe a 2jz-gte, or the illustrious 7MGTE? Yeah, I like "smallblock" and "bigblock". Easier to remember when I've been drinking.

Ever looked at Harley Davidson names? FLSTF, FLSTC, and FXDWG, among a sea of other letters. I've asked Harley salesmen, and they can't even tell me what all the letters mean.