HybridZ

track tire sizing

Just out of curiosity, what makes the tires you're running now "too short". 205 is small for a track tire, but is the smaller diameter causing you to run out of gear at the end of the straightaway or what? Generally you can get a Z lower and still retain suspension travel with a shorter tire, which is a good thing.

For race circuit use, if thats what is being talked about here, the tyre width should be compatible with the rim width, that is the first priority. You may be able to vary the tyre height a bit for gearing purposes but ideally height should be selected on the basis of handling characteristics, not anything else.

As Jon indicated, gearing should ideally be adjusted by diff and gearbox ratios.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the tires you're running now "too short".
Nothing does, they work just fine. However, TireRack has 225/45-17 Hoosiers on sale for $35 each right now, and at that price its worth buying a set of 17" wheels to go along with them.

edit:

well, they had them earlier today, sold out now :(

Goodyear

Sports Car Bias Ply or Radial SLICKS

23.5x10x16

19-21 lbs cold air pressure

I have been looking at those for my autocrosser but I was not sure if they would have clearance issues on the front. Do you have any issues with clearance? Are you running 16x10 wheels, if so what is the offset?