HybridZ

Took on a Cobra (Mustang that is)

blueovalz

Coming up behind a Mustang Cobra yesterday on the highway when I noticed his license plate (LS1KILR) and thought I'd give him an opportunity at me...and he took it. From a 40 mph roll, I had him up until (more at first, but, that faster pull I had at the beginning was slowly leveling out to a dead even run with him) we hit the triple digit area at which point I noticed that we were dead even on acceleration (but he was still behind me) and we both decided it was time to quit. We pulled over at the next available exit and I had a view of his running gear. 2004 Cobra with overdriven supercharger putting 15 lbs boost into the 4-cam motor, 4:11 gears, and a claimed 455 lb/ft and 480 hp. It was interesting in that both motors are basically the same displacement (my 289 vs his 4.6L), and rear gearing was identical. In the end it was his blower vs my lesser mass.

Ditto on what everyone else said about gorgeous. There are 3 cars which i show to everyone, when I try to get them into datsuns. Yours, Darius, and Stony. I get pure beauty, pure V8 muscle, then pure wow thats skyline motor factor. Then I show em hybridZ and all the rest of the upcoming cars i'm drooling at.

Too bad it wasn't a KB (kenny bell supercharger) cobra. Then maybe he would have the right to call his car a LS1 killer. If you're gonna call youself something and call a certain type out, you'd better to be able to back it up.

Yea, newer mustangs are tanks. They NEED that 500hp, trust me. I've been in 200hp hondas that had more wow factor in the butt than 350hp stangs.

And the HP numbers sound about right, as long as he's done it right. You can get well into the 500 range on the stock charger. And it's still one of the few cars that can hit 9's on a stock bottom end in stock trim at it's price range ;)

Awsome race though man. I wish I saw more nice cars around here. Although, the other day I spotted a ...crap... I forget what it was. It was chevy, convertible... can't remember the name, but it was late 60's era. So I kinda came up the side of him and reved it to see him punch it. He did. (worth of a whole sentence) I reemed mine out, but make sure to shift before 6k since I couldn't hear my car at all due to his SUPER loud engine... It was 2 black guys, and I expect them to be jerks (me and my bro being to white guys) but I had my brother ask about the motor anyways. They had wide grins ear to ear and said 502 in unison. Me and bro bother say NICE in unison. Light turns green, we're bother turning left and he smokes the tires and gets sideways and brings it back in nice to keep a safe distance from the curb. Me and bro drool...

I just love encountering fast cars, regardless of my car by comparison, or make/model.

But what's up with the straight rear axel? Come ON Ford? Sometimes it ok to be cheap but really!

That Cobra he raced is not straight axle. The newer ones are, as are all the non-Cobra models from previous years.

His quote on power is dead on. If he had the blower ported, he would be making close to 500RWHP based on his boost quote. Here's what my mom's Cobra dyno looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~moridin2002/Cobra498.jpg

Your car must be movin' pretty damn quick to keep up with something like that. I don't recall reading any of your posts (or seeing anything on your web site) quoting power output or track times. That Cobra should be hovering around low 11s around 118-122 (with a decent driver of course) to give you an idea.

That Cobra he raced is not straight axle.

Correct. It was an IRS when I looked under the back end.

Your car must be movin' pretty damn quick to keep up with something like that. I don't recall reading any of your posts (or seeing anything on your web site) quoting power output or track times..

It (motor) feels pretty good, finally got the jetting and timing down. I did have him initially, but the faster we went, the less acceleration advantage I had on him. By the time we quit pulling (100+), the gap was unchanging (which makes sense being drag and HP play more prominently at that speed than weight and HP. Hopefully (now that it's cooled down a little here - but it is hitting a all time high today of 90º F) I'll get it on the dyno soon.

THe new SVO Mustang will be a live axle... Take a trip over to a couple of the track day boards and you'll hear the horrors of rear tie rod failures on those Cobras. Guys are converting them to live axle for this reason...

Terry, Sounds like you need just a few more ponies! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

I think you mean SVT, and it's not officially an SVT vehicle. Although SVT designed the entire car, it wears a shelby badge. And yes it will be solid axle. It's a 3 link that's far superior to anything the stangs have ever seen. The pervioud cobras were IRS and weren't terrible great, but they weren't bad. The cobra R is still known as the best autox stang ever made, we'll see what happens when the GT500 hits the market.

THe new SVO Mustang will be a live axle... Take a trip over to a couple of the track day boards and you'll hear the horrors of rear tie rod failures on those Cobras. Guys are converting them to live axle for this reason...

Terry' date=' Sounds like you need just a few more ponies! :lmao:

Mike :cool:[/quote']

I'll take that into consideration. PHP and Maximum Motorsports sell tie rod ends and full kits to take care of that problem. I still wouldn't convert to live axle. They just ride so crappy when its all done. Not as plush or as dynamic in my opinion. As compromised as the original design is, when modified, it should fair far better than its live axle counterpart. That's just my opinion though.

Terry, just do a 50 shot. That'll take care of a lot of things.

Gollum, the Cobra R should continue to wear the "Best Handling Badge."

The new Mustangs are heavier and the GT500 even more so.

Yea, and the new GT500 is a full trim vehicle. The cobra R was as stripped as any stang has ever come.

We can talk stangs all day long at the vacaville meet ;) I'll try to bring my encyclopedia of mustang knowledge with me called my brother 8)