HybridZ

RB26DETT with 6spd RWD?

Ed260Z

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he was clueless, it ended up being a RB25DET. The asking price was $3,200, which was why I started this thread. He said they would be repricing that one down. And he'll see if he can get me a RB26DETT with a GTS 5 speed RWD Tranny. Does any one out there know of anyone selling a "Swap" Pkg (RB26 w/GTS Trans)?

The main thing to be concerned about as in the dif is the amount of torque that the crank is going to put out. If I recall correctly Stony went through 3 diffs already. I think he settled for a ford diff.

Ok here's what and why I did it.

I ended up going with a ford 8.8 solid rear built up for drag application with 33 spline axles and spool. Here is a little story on how this came to be.

When I finished my car the first time it had a stock gtr pressure plate and a Sr20 disc in it. This worked very good and it lasted 2 years of street and track driving. I started to get greedy in my quest for the 10 sec slip and started messing with tire pressure to get off the line faster. (This was the beginning of the end.) The first thing to give up was the clutch. I replaced the clutch disc with what I was just as good as the sr20 disc ( maxima). That didn’t work. First run with that disc in it..... Well first time down the track as a matter of fact it exploded!!!. Ok I say time to upgrade to the twin plate. This is where the big problems started. Over the next year I broke 4 half shafts. I then had my struts modified to except Z31 stub shafts and had a custom set of chromoly axles made.... then I started breaking the Z31 stub shafts. After 2 of those I gave up and parted the rear-end out. I also decided to go with the auto because once I had the rear-end done I figured the r33 5 speed would become the weak link and wouldn’t last to long to track abuse and any other type of 5 speed that could handle it was too expensive. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do with the rear-end but really couldn’t justify anymore money in the IRS as everything I could come up with pretty much involved allot of cutting and fabricating.

I think if I had gone the route that Jamie is going with his struts and an automatic I may have been able to maintain the IRS but that was with the stock motor I was running. The new motor will be in the 700RWHP range and will be a low 9 sec car and I didn’t want to maintain anything that was questionable when it comes to weather or not it would hold up.

Sorry for the rant back to the subject the only 6 speed awd tranny came in the r34. the rest are 5 speeds like someone said up top.

Would the R200 LSD with 3.7:1 out of an 87-89 300ZX work well on a street driven RB26?

I had a 3.90 in mine with the GTST 5 speed and at 7900 rpm in third gear i was doing 125MPH!!!!! It drove nice on the street. With a 3.7 you dhave a hell of a topend!!!!!!

I got one run with a 4.88 as my rearend and it actually let me get into 5th, I would say those are teh 2 extremes. 3.70-4.88 anything lower or higher then that would not be good.

Im going with a 4.11 but i will be running a powerglide

Ok here's what and why I did it.

I had a 3.90 in mine with the GTST 5 speed and at 7900 rpm in third gear i was doing 125MPH!!!!! It drove nice on the street. With a 3.7 you dhave a hell of a topend!!!!!!

What car can I get a 3.9 LSD out off?

I like the idea of a basically bolt in mod, with the long nose R200 LSD. I don't want to do a ton of fabrication just yet, since I'm trying to keep the project around $6K for the driveline. I'm already in the process of beefing up the suspension, and the chassis will be in the spring. Followed up very shortly with the engine. In total I'm estimating about $8K not including any paint and body.

someone correct me if im wrong, but didnt any GTR come with a AWD tranny and the RB26? and the RWD Tranny came on the RB25 in any GTS-T? alright...another question. will any 6 speed fit on an rb25?

first, only the R34's came with the 6speed.. the others were the same as the gts-4 or gts-t but with a transfercase..

second, besides that of the Nismo SR transmission I dont think any come with the correct bolt pattern. The guys here are looking into modifying the 350Z bellhousings with that of the Nisssan 10bolt.. I may be getting ahold of one of these and taking the engine side, with the tranny side to a machine shop I know, with measurements and have the belhousing remade custom..

someone correct me if im wrong, but didnt any GTR come with a AWD tranny and the RB26? and the RWD Tranny came on the RB25 in any GTS-T? alright...another question. will any 6 speed fit on an rb25?

As far as I know any tranny that will bolt onto the RB25 will bolt onto the RB26. This is why most people want to use the GTS tranny in a RB26 converion to RWD. (Simply plugging the transfer case on the AWD tranny is NOT the way to go.)

If you want to do a AWD Hybrid with the RB25 I'll trade you the AWD tranny for your RWD GTS tranny.

If you want to do a AWD Hybrid with the RB25 I'll trade you the AWD tranny for your RWD GTS tranny.

Haha no thanks. I neither have the engine :redface: nor the money do do something like a AWD setup. thanks tho!

so the s15 tranny nor the Z33 tranny will fit the RB25 without adapters/machine work...alright...my dreams have just been shot down lol

so the s15 tranny nor the Z33 tranny will fit the RB25 without adapters/machine work...alright...my dreams have just been shot down lol

You could go that route, it'll just cost you a crap load of money, more money than it's worth probably. Just buy the damn RB25DET transmission.

Or the Z32 N/A transmission is the closest thing to the RB25DET transmission, I believe the bell housing is different and a few other minor things. But where the hell are you going to get a RB25DET bell housing?

Output shaft, input shaft, clutch are all the same as the Z32 N/A. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

• 2 weeks later...
You could go that route' date=' it'll just cost you a crap load of money, more money than it's worth probably. Just buy the damn RB25DET transmission.

Or the Z32 N/A transmission is the closest thing to the RB25DET transmission, I believe the bell housing is different and a few other minor things. But where the hell are you going to get a RB25DET bell housing?

Output shaft, input shaft, clutch are all the same as the Z32 N/A. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.[/quote']

if the bellhousing is the only thing different between the rb25 and Z32 NA tranny, then the Z32 TT tranny is equally as close. The Z32 NA and TT trannies are the same other than the bell housing. You can use a TT clutch and flywheel with an NA tranny if you grind out the bellhousing a lil bit.

Why i was asking was that i was curious to see if i could use a 6 spd tranny on a RB25. like the Z33 or S15 etc...

I guess I see your point. But the S15 6 Speed isn't even that great or could handle the power in my opinion, and the Z33, how many countless problems have I heard about that clutch.