HybridZ

New Skyline GTR

cyrus

WRONG!!!! The Skyline in America was rumored at first to be a Q45 or M45 back a few years' date=' then the 350z came out and so did the G35..... but in Japan yes the G35 IS the skylineQUOTE']

Except for the 2-tone front' date=' it still looks sharp. But it will never make it to the US. [/font']

And if by some miracle of politics it actually comes here, it will probably only be a shadow of the JDM's performance.

Before the Z came out a few years ago they where going to bring the Skyline over as an Infiniti, but Nissan USA decided that it would be more profitable to take the 350Z chassis, and make 4 different cars out of it. Which ended up killing the US spec Skyline. The G35 was supposed to be the Skyline (although the actual name had never been decided on). I'm not sure why you think that their 2 High Line Sedans would have been the Skyline. I'd double check your sources.

Lets face car manufactures make cars to make money, and lots of it. Gone are the days of moderately priced unique performance cars. If it can’t be mass-produced in various guises it will stay a prototype.

Except from the getgo, Carlos Gohsn has said the car is being designed for the US market. Its left hand drive, and is coming out, they've been seen testing on the nurburgring. (In a G35 body).

Yes the G35 is the skyline in japan, but the new GTR will not be a skyline, simply GTR. Whether its infiniti or nissan remains to be seen, but Im guessing Infiniti

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its bogus, because all of the skylines up to the r34 had a distinct link back to the kpgc10. You could look at it and see it. They all had I6's and the same body lines pretty much. Now they have scrapped the I6 (granted v6's handel better because they are lower so im mixed on this, but yes some of the nostaligia the early z's and skyliens envoked will be gone), they have based the chassis upon some lesser car (in my opinion a big no no), and they have basically changed the body lines entirely so that it now has pretty much no resemblence to the kpgc10. Imho those are all very bad things. The good thing in my opinion is that it will be a new attractive sports car. It seems it will most certainly let people who are seeking for a beat all car down, but atleast it will be a pretty decent car. Heavy though.

Yea, it's NOT a skyline, it's a GTR. And the newest prototype isn't much different than the concept they came out with that made it's way into GT4.

And as far as I know the US spec G35 is pretty identical to the skyline in japan right now. I think if the GTR makes it to the US there won't be any political issues what so ever, because it'll be an all new vehicle (technically) and priced fairly high.

Yea' date=' it's NOT a skyline, it's a GTR. And the newest prototype isn't much different than the concept they came out with that made it's way into GT4.

And as far as I know the US spec G35 is pretty identical to the skyline in japan right now. I think if the GTR makes it to the US there won't be any political issues what so ever, because it'll be an all new vehicle (technically) and priced fairly high.[/quote']

The G35 is a redone 350Z. Although the G35, for some reason, seems to be the better of the 2.

I hear ya, I'm just saying just because it's based on a car doesn't mean it can't be better.

Now, it's been proven stock vs. stock the Z is faster. I just wanted to point out that too many people play the "based on" blame-game. I personally can't stand this beucase most cars nowdays are platform built.

And in the end the G35 is much more luxiry oriented. I'd like to see a stripped G35 VS a stripped 350z. Although, my statement just now might be a little off, since the 350Z can come in such a wide array of trim levels.

I hear ya' date=' I'm just saying just because it's based on a car doesn't mean it can't be better.

Now, it's been proven stock vs. stock the Z is faster. I just wanted to point out that too many people play the "based on" blame-game. I personally can't stand this beucase most cars nowdays are platform built.

And in the end the G35 is much more luxiry oriented. I'd like to see a stripped G35 VS a stripped 350z. Although, my statement just now might be a little off, since the 350Z can come in such a wide array of trim levels.[/quote']

oh for sure, it would just be nice if they kept the gtr something completely unique.

Actually, the G35 sedan came before the Z, so the Z is a redone G35. Mechanically they are the same. I owned both a G35c and 350z.

is the sedan platform the same as the coupe platform? I know the sedan offers awd that might indicate a difference? Would be sweet to have an awd Z, if they managed to about half the weight before installed the awd system.

is the sedan platform the same as the coupe platform? I know the sedan offers awd that might indicate a difference? Would be sweet to have an awd Z, if they managed to about half the weight before installed the awd system.
yea, its the same, the FM (front midship) platform, sedan, coupe, 350z and fx. soon to add the gtr to the mix. there are a couple awd z's running around. I believe one was built for pikes peak.

Guest grimlynsan

This is just my opinion and only concerns the appearance of the car.

They messed up when they released the 350z - the shape lost all of the style and good looks of the original S30. Now they are doing the same with the Skyline! I can't beleive it. A Skyline should look like this:

057491.jpg057501.jpg

I think that the Nissan styling dept. has lost the plot. When I drive past an early zx in my s30, I usually receive a thumbs up or a nod (and give one in reply). When I drive past a 350z (this happens increasingly often) the driver doesn't have any clue that we are driving the same marque. I hate that. The same thing will happen with the skyline. wait and see.

Just my opinion.

Guest grimlynsan
It is acctually the reason i want a 510 now. Granted they are quite different their designs do share a good deal of similarity. Are they based on the same platform (not sure if they called it/used it that way back then)?

Not really sure to tell you the truth. I know its very similar to a 240k and people kit out 240ks to look like them and then sell them back to crazy rich japanese men!

Guest grimlynsan

as for the wheels and tyre stupidity, It's a japanese thing. The pic is from a jap auto show. there are much worse examples though...

061291.jpg057931.jpg058491.jpg057881.jpg

don't you just love the seemless flowing lines. The flares are often so well grafted they look factory! I'll never undertand why they do this. especially the obsession with exhaust pipes that are taller than ones head.